Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prorock 44

Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ktoth87
The company I bought it through has said they will go through with a warranty if need be. But do I need that? I don't really feel like pulling the whole thing out shipping it back and waiting on another one if I don't need too.
There's something you're leaving out then. Why would you continue to mess with something repeatedly if you have the company you bought it from willing to help you out? It sounds like you're paying for the parts you're swapping, and your time has to be worth something, right?

Not to mention, if I was the company that you bought it from, there would be a clock running on the warranty offer. The longer you continue to mess with it, the less willing I'd be to help you, especially if they had it assembled when you got it. In fact, as soon as you put your hands in it, my warranty would be done.

What's the rest of the story?
Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
There's something you're leaving out then. Why would you continue to mess with something repeatedly if you have the company you bought it from willing to help you out? It sounds like you're paying for the parts you're swapping, and your time has to be worth something, right?

Not to mention, if I was the company that you bought it from, there would be a clock running on the warranty offer. The longer you continue to mess with it, the less willing I'd be to help you, especially if they had it assembled when you got it. In fact, as soon as you put your hands in it, my warranty would be done.

What's the rest of the story?
There's nothing being left out. And yes my time is definitely worth something. The fact that my hands have been on it should not matter. Although I have changed careers I was previously an ASE Certified tech and yes in drivetrain. I'm not doing this in my backyard. I have a large garage with full supplement of professional tools and a lift. As I said before I don't want to warranty if I dont have too. Removing and replacing the axle is not an issue, but the downtime is. Yes the warranty will run out, my understanding is a year. But this is a ongoing issue. I'm trying to resolve it without going to that extent. Just looking for answers.
Why does that weld look like shit?
Why when I change elevation does it leak?
When it had silicone it would literally puddle under each tube, why after removing the silicone from the equation did it help for a longer period of time until the elevation change?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's nothing being left out. And yes my time is definitely worth something. The fact that my hands have been on it should not matter.
To you, no it shouldn't matter. If I was looking at a warranty claim, it would be easy to deny because of your efforts. Telling you what I've dealt with in my career.

Although I have changed careers I was previously an ASE Certified tech and yes in drivetrain. I'm not doing this in my backyard. I have a large garage with full supplement of professional tools and a lift. As I said before I don't want to warranty if I dont have too. Removing and replacing the axle is not an issue, but the downtime is.
How much downtime have you clocked at this point chasing the same issue? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Changing seal after seal would lead me to believe it might not be the seals, but rather something else.

Yes the warranty will run out, my understanding is a year. But this is a ongoing issue. I'm trying to resolve it without going to that extent. Just looking for answers.
Why does that weld look like shit?
Why when I change elevation does it leak?
When it had silicone it would literally puddle under each tube, why after removing the silicone from the equation did it help for a longer period of time until the elevation change?
Go back to the first page. Response #6 was me suggesting it was something simple. I still say there is something you're missing that is allowing the axle to pressurize and blow past the seals when the elevation changes.

I'd be hammering on the people you bought it from to get this taken care of before they change their mind due to your efforts and the time that has elapsed. Just my view from the cheap seats. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

I agree the fact that I've replaced them this many times is definitely insane. Which is my point. I'm being told torn seal, torn seal, torn seal, well obviously not. I've entertained the idea and proven it wrong. Vent is clear. What else other than a bad driveshaft? And even then why don't the old seals show signs of it. And why does the elevation come into play?
Old 08-17-2017, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree the fact that I've replaced them this many times is definitely insane. Which is my point. I'm being told torn seal, torn seal, torn seal, well obviously not. I've entertained the idea and proven it wrong. Vent is clear. What else other than a bad driveshaft? And even then why don't the old seals show signs of it. And why does the elevation come into play?
And just like Jordy said... I can't understand why you continue with the same 'solution' when it produces the same results. Hand the problem over to the company that said they would warranty it and make it their problem. As for your ASCE certification, that wouldn't mean a hill of beans to me if I were the company that has to back that warranty.

As for the bad weld, you keep talking bout that, but replacing seals won't do a thing about that.

At this point, you're mostly complaining without actually doing anything about it.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

And why does the elevation come into play?
Elevation would come into play because of a change in atmospheric pressure. The only thing that makes sense is that the axle is becoming pressurized and pushing oil out. Unless you didn't pay extra for gear lube that isn't afraid of heights.

You keep asking the same questions and it seems to me that you like doing the same thing repeatedly, expecting different results. Here's my response in post #63:

Originally Posted by jordy

Go back to the first page. Response #6 was me suggesting it was something simple. I still say there is something you're missing that is allowing the axle to pressurize and blow past the seals when the elevation changes.
Keep doing the same thing over and over and over until your warranty expires. Realize at this point it's not a Dynatrac problem though.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Going back to June 2nd:

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
We recommend contacting Northridge directly and let them coordinate with the shop you purchased the axle through to get this issue resolved. But please feel free to reach out to us directly by phone (714-421-4314) if you’re unsuccessful in resolving your leak issue and need further help.
How many different ways do you need to be advised to let the shop that set it up deal with it? Dynatrac seems to be trying to help with suggestions, that you've not followed, and you continue to attempt to bash them thoughout.

What did you find when you mic'd the Nitro axle shafts compared to the seals?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a comment from Northridge from June:

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4

with that said the pro rock 44 takes a special axle shaft and to my knowledge Nitro does not make this axle shaft but I could be wrong. My assumption is that you may have the wrong axle shafts in the housing which don't line up with the seal surface and it is causing the leak. again this is my assumption I don't know for sure.

David
Wrong axle shafts? I'd be screaming at the place I bought the axle from at this point and going the warranty route.

So. Dynatrac and Northridge have both given suggestions now that you're choosing to ignore.

What's the rest of the story? You live in Rhode Island and bought it from an offroad shop in Ohio, to save money, rather than buy it from Dynatrac directly.

This whole thing stinks more and more and I'm only on page 3.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, after the suggestion that the axle shafts are wrong:

Thank you north ridge I'll be giving nitro a call on Monday to veryify it's correct or not. Hopefully that's the issue.
No further mention of that. Did you call Nitro? Someone asked and you glassed over it, and seemingly went a different route:

Well I decided to use my experience and people with years of automotive experience opinions. And I'm currently testing my theory about using silicone on the seals.
So you put your "expertise" to the test on this one instead? That was early June, still, and now in mid-August you're still fighting the issue? I'm starting to see why you changed careers. If I was your customer I'd be unhappy and finding a new shop after the 2nd failed attempt.

I have noticed something hopefully someone can chime in on. I'm not a professional welder by any means and only have minor experience welding but I'm attaching some pictures of something that doesn't look right to me.
Now it's a welding issue.

I bought a dynatrac due to the reputation and I've had continuous problems. I know dynatrac did not package the housing but when it showed up it was falling off the pallet. It was all scratched and dinged up and I had to touch up certain areas. Hardly a thing to make a deal over but when your spending this kind of money you want to scratch that up yourself and on top of the other issues( the leak and the weld) I'm not happy.
You didn't buy a Dynatrac, you bought a case. You're a mechanic, so let's put this in a different scenario. I go out and buy a Dart Big M block for my boat, and then I have some unknown shop a few states over fill it up with cast Chinese internals and parts that might not be the right ones, and now I'm having issues. Instead of getting the shop involved that sold me the engine and the shop that put it together, I go on a forum and start bashing Dart because they won't do anything to help me, even though they've tried to help me. In the mean time, I open up the engine, start replacing things, mostly the same things over and over, and keep having the same problem.

Sound about right?

I planned on buying a trail 60 in the rear to match. I'm sorry to say that the overall experience I have had I wished I bought from another company. I like the overall design on the housing but I'm staying with my opinion that for the money and hassle that I've had I could've done better. I wish I could say I would recommend dynatrac. But I will not and will not buy another product.
Again, how is this a Dynatrac issue? I'm thinking the weld is a straw man (look it up) to try to come up with some reason this is a Dynatrac issue, rather than cover up the glaringly obvious problem.

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Of course we are very sorry you will you will focus on other options in the future. If you change your mind, we would appreciate an opportunity to serve you directly next time so you can have a complete Dynatrac solution, including Dynatrac axle shafts, assembly and crating.

Whatever option you choose in the future, we wish you the very best, and hope you find what you are looking for.
At this point, I'd be happy if you looked elsewhere if you were my customer after this nonsense and attempted bashing. Maybe you can trade your 44 in as well.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

At this point I've read quickly through the comments. I did contact dynatrac but not sure if it was the number provided ( it's been awhile) and was told I tore the seals. Both in person and over the phone. Being they are the manufacturer I took they're advice and replaced them. I did mic the axle shaft to the seal and didn't see a problem. I called the company I bought it through and as soon as I told them the situation they remembered the problem. The biggest reason I'm not happy with dynatrac is I feel like I'm being brushed off when they say you tore the seals. Regardless I started the ball for the warranty. Now it's on the vendor/ shop to take action.

Quick Reply: Prorock 44