Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons of "puck" lift (pics?)

Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/Cons of "puck" lift (pics?)

What is a puck lift? Is it different from Body Lift? I've searched, but haven't found too much. Thinking about doing a 2" "puck lift", curious how it would look with stock tires
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Divotmeister
What is a puck lift? Is it different from Body Lift? I've searched, but haven't found too much. Thinking about doing a 2" "puck lift", curious how it would look with stock tires
Depends on which stock tires you have. I would think a puck lift is pretty similar lift to the rest of the BL. I have the RC 1.25 BL and it blends in fairly well. A 2 inch might stick out a bit more.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A puck or spacer lift is essentially placing a spacer block or puck on top of your stock coil spring. The coil spring lift is a new coil that is longer springs. The spacer lifts are typically under 3".

Here is a couple shots of my 08 Rubi with 2.5 Teraflex BB and stock tires.

Stock
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2900.jpg
Views:	3987
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	198474

Lifted with stock tires and wheel spacers

Name:	100_2904.jpg
Views:	3682
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	198475
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is the Teraflex Leveling Kit WITH Rubi (4dr) shocks and springs. Together about 3" of lift, but I'd estimate the leveling kit gave me about 1.5"

Before:

Name:	Mango Tango.jpg
Views:	3003
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	198487

Name:	lift before.jpg
Views:	2011
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	198491

After:

Name:	Fifi1.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	198489

Name:	lift after.jpg
Views:	3124
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	198492

Close up of the puck

Name:	FIFI Aug 2011 012.jpg
Views:	7517
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	198490
Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

I should clarify that I changed out the shocks and springs the same time I did the leveling kit. Thats why its so drastic.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Cons of the body "puck" lift would be the gap especially if you do the full 3".

Here we call our suspension "puck" lifts BB's (budget boost's)
Kids did this to their truck to make them look cool in the 80’s. Yes I did do it too (once). I will never do it again. It just seems a little weird to me having an adult driving a mall crawler.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the TF spacer BB. If you aren't going to do too much offroading and don't add a lot of armor/recover (bumpers, winch, etc) then a spacer lift is fine.
I should have done a coil lift. My stock coils are starting to sag after adding the stubby bumper and winch. Plus coils are cooler than spacers IMHO. I wasn't thinking long term and didn't write down a list of what my perfect build would be.
A body lift is exactly that- it extends your tub from the frame if you will. Do some kind if suspension lift and if you want more height add an inch BL. Can't get more flex with a BL.
That's my .02¢

Last edited by dogsonparade; 08-17-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dogsonparade
I have the TF spacer BB. If you aren't going to do too much offroading and don't add a lot of armor/recover (bumpers, winch, etc) then a spacer lift is fine.
I should have done a coil lift. My stock coils are starting to sag after adding the stubby bumper and winch. Plus coils are cooler than spacers IMHO. I wasn't thinking long term and didn't write down a list of what my perfect build would be.
A body lift is exactly that- it extends your tub from the frame if you will. Do some kind if suspension lift and if you want more height add an inch BL. Can't get more flex with a BL.
That's my .02¢
I have a 10 sahara unlimited. With front and rear xrc S.B body armor. A ruggged ridge front bumper with whinch and a 4inch lift kit . How ever I'm running 40s and I've allready grinded just about inches off my lower front and rear rocker panels. I've had it cuz over 3 people in the car and it Stilll rubs into my new tires. I'm at the point in this adventure where I bought tf 1 coil spacers. However after reading this I'm leaning toward just adding an inch BL. But what my bigggest concern is what about Lower center of gravity while turns.... Does has anyone experience what I'm talking about?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Kids did this to their truck to make them look cool in the 80’s. Yes I did do it too (once). I will never do it again. It just seems a little weird to me having an adult driving a mall crawler.
I had a 2.5" TF BB on my 2-door, and I would not have classified it as a mall crawler. It handled very well for the offroading I did with it. I also used 4-door Rubi springs for an additional 0.5"

That being said....now that I have a new 2011 4-door Rubi, I WILL be doing a spring lift.
The limitation of a budget boost is that you still retain the original flex. This could make it more difficult if you are a dedicated rock crawler (not many rocks here in NY), but mudding and trail driving should be fine.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of "puck" lift (pics?)