Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSC Hydro Assist Mounted to Pitman arm

Old 04-21-2017, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The top arrow is the direction the ram pushes the pitman arm when the ram is mounted on the pitman arm.

The bottom arrow is the direction needed to steer.

Mounted on the axle the ram pushes identical to the bottom arrow.

If the tire is jammed into a rock when the ram pushes in the top arrow it wants to bend the drag link and severely stresses the drag link end at the pitman arm in an axis maybe 20 degrees off axis. This potentially compromises that rod end also.

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-21-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
The top arrow is the direction the ram pushes the pitman arm when the ram is mounted on the pitman arm.

If the tire is jammed into a rock when the ram pushes in the top arrow it wants to bend the drag link and severely stresses the drag link end at the pitman arm in an axis maybe 20 degrees off axis. This potentially compromises that rod end also.
Ok now I follow you. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Ok now I follow you. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
No worries! I didn't understand this either until it was explained to me also.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries! I didn't understand this either until it was explained to me also.
So what you're saying is that, when the ram is mounted to the pit man arm, it can cause more potential stress on the drag link or tie rod system?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blowermax
So what you're saying is that, when the ram is mounted to the pit man arm, it can cause more potential stress on the drag link or tie rod system?
No, not exactly. What I'm saying is the ram on the axle (tie rod) saves the drag link from stress. The drag link would see less stress than normal because most (maybe all) the steering stress is on the ram.

With the ram on the pitman arm it adds significant stress to the drag link and could easily bend it. This would be especially so when the passenger tire is drooped as in my image above.

As far as I can tell the tie rod would see the same stress either way.

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-21-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
DJ1
Former Member

With the ram on the pitman arm it adds significant stress to the drag link and could easily bend it. This would be especially so when the passenger tire is drooped as in my image above.

As far as I can tell the tie rod would see the same stress either way.

Exactly. Assist mounted up high @ pitman arm + drooped draglink = x + y force vectors on the steering knuckle = less efficiency. Assist @ tie-rod = x force vector only = max efficiency.

Steering knuckle, tie-rod, and ram-assist mounted parallel to the tie-rod all move on the same plane of direction. All 3 essentially moving all along the x-axis if both the tie-rod and imaginary axis drawn vertically through the steering knuckle's tie-rod mounting hole (which is now the y-axis), are perpendicular to each other.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Exactly. Assist mounted up high @ pitman arm + drooped draglink = x + y force vectors on the steering knuckle = less efficiency. Assist @ tie-rod = x force vector only = max efficiency.

Steering knuckle, tie-rod, and ram-assist mounted parallel to the tie-rod all move on the same plane of direction. All 3 essentially moving all along the x-axis if both the tie-rod and imaginary axis drawn vertically through the steering knuckle's tie-rod mounting hole (which is now the y-axis), are perpendicular to each other.

Gotcha! I was hoping EVO would provide more info on this setup....I couldn't afford PSC so I went with a Redneck ram system and still determining where I am going to mount it...Thx for all the insight!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by blowermax
Gotcha! I was hoping EVO would provide more info on this setup....I couldn't afford PSC so I went with a Redneck ram system and still determining where I am going to mount it...Thx for all the insight!

I'm getting the WTO ram also and am mounting it at the tie-rod, double shear on both ends. The only thing I'm doing differently is upgrading all the lines to the PSC high-pressure lines WITHOUT the teflon inserts and will keep the WTO lines as spares.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, perfect. A picture of what I have tried to explain to the crowd running out to buy the new PSC steering box. That about sums it up.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
The ram sits above the pitman arm which only rotates in one plane. The draglink sits below the pitman arm and in this case is on a heim which allows the draglink to move in a y axis as the axle travels up and down. The pitman arm and the ram above it do not travel in a y axis and ram is exerting force on the pitman arm.
with the passenger side drooped all the way the movement of the draglink is NOT on the same plane as the pitman arm.

Quick Reply: PSC Hydro Assist Mounted to Pitman arm