Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulled over for no doors. Can you recommend good tube doors.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled over for no doors. Can you recommend good tube doors.

Well I finally got pulled over for not having doors on. It was a road block and the cop just gave me a warning.

He read me the rules about doors and it says that for vehicles that came with doors they must have doors on and be in good working order. So I figure tube doors fit that description.

Can anyone recommend good tube doors that have mirror brackets on them?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

I ve talked with a dozen cops about this. They all tell me its a cop by cop judgment call. Most of them say they wont ticket me. Some said its there job to enforce all laws. I got a warning back in 1994, 1995, and in 2007. Never a ticket and I always just say "ok...ok...yes sir...." still dont use tubes. Its a stupid frickin law.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Rancho's look pretty solid and from what I hear they don't squeak.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 08-27-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
I think the Rancho's look pretty solid and from what I hear they don't squeak.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Those are nice. I like how these ones have a nut to secure the hinge. That way it's a bit harder for theives to walk away with them. The hinges look sturdier than the highrock element doors. The finish looks nicer too.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup.. BC seems to be cracking down on doorless Jeeps. I got a ticket in my YJ in Surrey a few years back, but they called me on no drivers side mirror. (Apparently having a small round convex mirror mounted on the drivers side front speaker doesn't count.. who knew )

On my JK now I have the Olympic tube doors. If you're looking for the cheapests solution and/or the most minimalistic design as I was.. i.e. something for the purpose of just keeping the police satisfied, then they are something you should look into. I think I will be modifying them a bit over the winter to make them a little bit more substancial and a little beefier.. but they are probably as close to going doorless as you can go (legally). With a little modification (ie putting hockey tape on the striker on the jeep) and a few minor adjustments, they fit well and do not rattle. I DID have a problem with one of the welds being in the wrong spot, but I managed to conjure up a solution to that too. For the price I paid, I am satisfied with the final result. That being said, if I had more money to invest in tube doors, (other mods required me to skimp a little on doors) then I probably would have looked more into the Or-Fab ones. THEY are nice looking IMO.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

.....and you were endangering fellow motorists or yourself how???????

(if not, busting chops for doors off a Jeep is nothing but insidious revenue generation and harassment)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I can say that I drive with my doors off and think that it is crazy that people are getting pulled over for the doors...

If you are in Florida you will not get a ticket from me

I will have to do some research, I don't believe that I have seen that rule... Seatbelts and no doors, that is a diff. scenario.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RyanBlack321
I will have to do some research, I don't believe that I have seen that rule... Seatbelts and no doors, that is a diff. scenario.
Someone riding with no seat belts AND no doors... Not only are they asking for a ticket, but also asking to win the next Darwin award
Old 08-27-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

This must be different state by state! I always see the UPS and USPS drivers in the NYC area driving with their doors slid open, which would equal the same hazards as a jeep with no doors would (if any)! Why aren't they getting tickets or warnings? I think as long as your seat belts on and you have side-view mirrors you should be good!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
I have the Bestop 2 piece soft doors and like them.

Are they worth the purchase? I want something I can throw in the back for the summer.

And to the OP, you could always make some tube doors. I don't know if you have the tools to do it, but it's a thought.

Quick Reply: pulled over for no doors. Can you recommend good tube doors.