Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting on larger Tires, what's your technique?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Putting on larger Tires, what's your technique?

I spent the entire weekend addressing rust spots, undercoating, and bedlining my wheel wells and entire under carriage this past weekend. I pulled my 35s off and rotated them while I had them off.

The toughest part I had was putting my wheels back on by myself. It was difficult lifting these things while at the same time trying to get the lug holes alligned with the lug bolts. I ended up asking for my wife's assistance by guiding me which way I needed to go to allign the lugs while I was lifting the heavy tires.

It reminded me of the last time I did this and thought, "there's got to be a better/easier way to put these things on by myself."

So what techniques do you use to put your larger tires back on by yourself?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Sit on your butt with the tire between your legs. Lift the tire with your legs while using your hands to guide the wheel on.

I keep the height of the vehicle just enough foe the tire to slide on.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

My wife had even suggested to me, you should use that floor jack you have to lift these things up.

I said, 2 problems. The jack is about 6inches high, where I would need to raise my Jeep up at least another 6in, oh and by the way that jack is what is currently lifting the Jeep up so I can put these tires on.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jedg
Sit on your butt with the tire between your legs. Lift the tire with your legs while using your hands to guide the wheel on.

I keep the height of the vehicle just enough foe the tire to slide on.
I tried that. The problem I had there was lifting the tire while sitting down to put it on top of my legs. Unless there's a better technique I should be using to lift the tire on top of my legs?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I typically do like jedg, sit on the ground, legs spread but feet generally brought back together on their sides. I lift the tire enough to set it on my feet, eyeball the lug pattern best I can. Seems like I mainly use my feet to hoist a few inches while my arms are aligning and pushing on to the lugs. Not ideal, but works with my 37s. Sure sounds weird explaining it. LOL.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe my wife is onto something and what I may have to do is go buy a small low profile floor jack to lift up the tires to the proper height and I can wheel the floor jack with the tire on it into the lugs?

Like to hear other suggestions as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 2x4's on ground and set tire on them near rotor. Then use floor jack to lift axle just high enough to side tire on off the 2x4. If that makes sense. The 2x4 needs to extend past the rotor to slide tire with out dropping before u get tire on lugs!! I've also used the 2x4 as a pry as I set a another 2x4 or something for a pivot and raise tire that way but harder to turn tire to line up with lugs.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
I typically do like jedg, sit on the ground, legs spread but feet generally brought back together on their sides. I lift the tire enough to set it on my feet, eyeball the lug pattern best I can. Seems like I mainly use my feet to hoist a few inches while my arms are aligning and pushing on to the lugs. Not ideal, but works with my 37s. Sure sounds weird explaining it. LOL.
So you center the wheel on the ground infront of the hub, then sit down infront of the wheel, wrap your legs around it and start lifting it with your feet/legs that way?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Just checked this out. $40 at HF, 20 off coupon= $32. I might give this a try.

Edit: that's just the jack accessory...got to look again.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-22-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try doing it with 40's ha

Quick Reply: Putting on larger Tires, what's your technique?