Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting on larger Tires, what's your technique?

Old 05-22-2017, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncorif
Check out the Clever Lever Wheel Dolly. I'm not sure of the tools actual name. This is just the first one I found when I looked for a wheel lift.
I checked that out. Definitely interesting. About a $150 is what I saw in regards to price.

I ended up getting this small floor jack at HF. $60 with their coupon. I'm gonna figure out a way to strap a 4x6 to the top of it, to make it easier to balance the tire on and see how well this works out. If it doesn't work out, I could use another floor jack anyways.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...ump-62160.html
Old 05-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm wearing a good pair of boots I'll roll them up onto my foot so I can kinda scoot them around a bit. I've done it with a 40, it sucks but I can manage.

The best thing to do is make sure you have the shortest distance to go as possible *before* taking the wheel off. It's a lot easier to get a tire on by yourself if it's only .5" off of the ground vs 2."
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
The best thing to do is make sure you have the shortest distance to go as possible *before* taking the wheel off. It's a lot easier to get a tire on by yourself if it's only .5" off of the ground vs 2."
True that. However, I had it on jack stands and raising it as high as possible to make easier to crawl under but I did lower it back down to put the tires back on. My biggest obticle was getting a good straight on line of sight to align the lugs. It sounds like the sit down, boot/foot/leg lift technique helps in that department.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take my wheels and try to line them up with the studs as best I can and get the tire as close to the studs as I can before lifting the tire. Like others I sit on the ground and get my legs around the tire to help guide it up but I get help with the lift by taking a crow bar and shoving the small end under the edge of the tire and then I use the crow bar to lift the tire using the floor and the crowbar as leverage. It takes a little coordination as you are using one hand to handle the crowbar and the other to push the tire onto the suds with your legs. It works every single time and your only limitation is to make sure the studs are not higher than you can lift the tire with the small end of the crow bar. Just make sure your jeep is not jacked up super high and with time you will know exactly how high to go. Hope this made sense
Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I avoid lifting my 37's by using a floor jack to match the height of the studs to the wheel, then place the tire over the studs. It's easy to rotate the tire slightly
for it to match the studs with the wheel.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
I Hope this made sense
Perfect sense. Thanks for going into all those details. Very helpful.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by John_fender
I avoid lifting my 37's by using a floor jack to match the height of the studs to the wheel, then place the tire over the studs. It's easy to rotate the tire slightly
for it to match the studs with the wheel.
Ah yeah!!! Someone that uses the exact method I was considering. Thanks for the response, now I know I'm at least on a path that should work. I'm starting to reconsider going through the hassles of mounting a home made cross beam on top of the floor jack like I was originally considering. When I looked at it closer, it started looking like too much effort for what it was worth. I would have to drill a hole into hardened metal of the jack pad, then use a tap/die set to make some threads, just so I could thread a bolt through a 4x6 board to mount it on top of the jack pad. I'll give it a shot with just the floor jack 1st, do exactly what you described and see how it goes.

If this works.......I think that should make me ready to put on some 40's.

LOL!!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow thanks for all the great info. I was thinking of taking a wire brush to the rust and then cleaning it and then spraying. My method is a lot more work but being a beach vehicle I may have more rust than you. It's cool to spray this stuff on over rust?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EHarris
Wow thanks for all the great info. I was thinking of taking a wire brush to the rust and then cleaning it and then spraying. My method is a lot more work but being a beach vehicle I may have more rust than you. It's cool to spray this stuff on over rust?
My JKU is a 2009 with 132K miles on it and is my DD. I've been doing this for the past 4 years. I live in Michigan which is one of the rust belt states, where we get our fair share of road salt, snow and rain for at least 4 months of the year. I didn't take any before pics, but below are some end result pics. You can likely see some of the spots I avoided spraying such as the brakes, to get an idea of the type of rust I'm dealing with. Last fall before the winter hit, I put on a new ruff stuff HD tie rod, where their tie rod is bare metal. Needless to say, it had a nice coat of rust covering it before I started this spring. I considered wire brushing and sanding it, but it just seemed like too much work for what it's worth like you mention.

I taped my synergy drag link, and Fox shocks, then from there I did the rust treatment and paint procedure.

To give you an idea of using the rust treatment and then covering with the truck bed liner, here's what it looks like now.

Front:

Inside front Wheel well

Rear Wheel well

Rear axle

P.S. Looks like I have to go back and touch up a few spots I likely missed.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-24-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I tried that. The problem I had there was lifting the tire while sitting down to put it on top of my legs. Unless there's a better technique I should be using to lift the tire on top of my legs?
My description isn't great. I think others did a better job.

1. Roll tire to into position in front of hub

2. Sit down in front of tire with legs to each side

3. Pinch the tire with your thighs/knees and lift your legs while using your hands to guide the wheel onto the lugs.

I have the jeep lifted to just enough height to get the wheel onto the hub.

Quick Reply: Putting on larger Tires, what's your technique?