Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting on larger Tires, what's your technique?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
My description isn't great. I think others did a better job.

1. Roll tire to into position in front of hub

2. Sit down in front of tire with legs to each side

3. Pinch the tire with your thighs/knees and lift your legs while using your hands to guide the wheel onto the lugs.

I have the jeep lifted to just enough height to get the wheel onto the hub.
Makes much more sense than the method I originally tried which was.....
1. Sit down on butt in front of rotor with legs stretched out in front.
2. Place tire to side of legs.
3. Attempt to roll tire on top of thighs......scream Holy Hell that Hurt!!!
4. Bend knees, so feet are flat on the ground
5. Roll tire on top of feet.....scream Holy Hell that hurt even more!!

I attempted the same concept of raising Jeep just high enough and then using legs/feet to raise the tire. I just tried executing it differently and failed.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-24-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the sitting method seems to be the standard, I always feel like I'm going to pull some muscle in my leg or cause some other injury in the process.

I just line up the hub and bolt pattern with the tire on the ground, lift the tire from above and wiggle it around until it pops on. 9 times out of 10, it's on within 10 seconds, other times might have to get down and try harder on aligning the bolt pattern and give it another go.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christensent
Although the sitting method seems to be the standard, I always feel like I'm going to pull some muscle in my leg or cause some other injury in the process. I just line up the hub and bolt pattern with the tire on the ground, lift the tire from above and wiggle it around until it pops on. 9 times out of 10, it's on within 10 seconds, other times might have to get down and try harder on aligning the bolt pattern and give it another go.
I've have 37s toyo on mine and my technique is similar to others but what I do is try to line up the studs to the hole with the tire sitting on a 2x4 or something just enough that it is higher than the ground. Then I would use a hydraulic jack under the pumpkin to lift the axle where it lines up completely with the holes on wheel. Then from there, I just wriggle the wheel into place. Not sure if it's the best but it works for me.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
When I was younger I did tires at a commercial truck depot, it had to be fast, and while trailer was attached on the ground. Those weigh as much as the largest jeep tire, we had little carts for em with rollers on em to spin it as well as move it in and out, back and forth. Eventually I've grown to use just a large 30" or so pry bar. Wheel your tire into place and lifting 100# plus with that large pry bar and one arm, is really easy. Slap it on and no awkward positions or supporting the whole weight ON YOU. This is the easiest way. My opinion
This is how I do it!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My 35's with stock hard rock wheels weigh exactly 104 lbs each. You just have to man up and lift those babies on!
As previously mentioned, sit and use legs to lift and hand to guide all four. The spare however... that's where those deadlifts in the gym come in handy.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 74 and those tires and wheels are heavy! I use a 2x4 stub underneath a flat pry bar to lift them up and align them to the wheel studs. Works great.

To remove and install the spare, I use a tie down strap from an overhead eyebolt and set it on a worktable with rolling casters. In the past i've used my hoist-a-top winch with a tie down strap to do that, but I don't have it installed yet at my current house.

Last edited by bbolander; 05-28-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

1. Set jack so there is only ~1/8" or less to lift -- Same place as when wheels were taken off.

2. Rotate tire so studs are close to aligning.

3. Sit on short step stool with feet (and leather boots) as close together as possible under the tire.

4. Use both feet and arms to raise that ~1/8" and onto the studs. Slide your feet together and rock the tire slightly so once the tire raises, it just rests on your feet!

Similar to the leg lift methods, but is easier for me.

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-28-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

As someone else posted, I have changed heavy truck tires, I used a prybar to lift those heavy things on the lugs, modified it just a little bit for the Jeep. Have the axle jacked maybe 1/2" at most above the wheel, almost line up the lugs, use a prybar(I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar) lift up the tire with the bar in one hand, align it with the other. Easy. Takes some practice because the tire may rotate slightly when you lift it since the bar isn't under the exact center.
Work smarter not harder.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It literally takes me .5seconds to put on my 37s... I just sit on my butt and use my arms to pick it up onto my legs and then in one quick motion use my legs and arms to throw it on the studs... that easy... maybe you're too old or need to hit the gym lol.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bbolander
I'm 74 and those tires and wheels are heavy! I use a 2x4 stub underneath a flat pry bar to lift them up and align them to the wheel studs. Works great.

To remove and install the spare, I use a tie down strap from an overhead eyebolt and set it on a worktable with rolling casters. In the past i've used my hoist-a-top winch with a tie down strap to do that, but I don't have it installed yet at my current house.
You can see the flat pry bar and block of wood I used on my 71 Pinzgauer in this picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1193 copy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	672047

Quick Reply: Putting on larger Tires, what's your technique?