Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for anyone with 35's or bigger

Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for anyone with 35's or bigger

what am I going to need to get a 35 on the spare tire carrier? another wheel spacer?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasChopper
what am I going to need to get a 35 on the spare tire carrier? another wheel spacer?
it fits from the pictures ive seen. But you have to think of the wieght its putting on the tailgate. The TJ's couldnt handle 35's over time. I wouldnt think the JK's can either.

its a good temp solution until you can get a after market bumper with a tire carrier.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
it fits from the pictures ive seen. But you have to think of the wieght its putting on the tailgate. The TJ's couldnt handle 35's over time. I wouldnt think the JK's can either.

its a good temp solution until you can get a after market bumper with a tire carrier.
if you have seen pics, then I certainly believe you, but I just measured it and there is less then an inch. I'm thinking my factory Sahara tires are 32's? Maybe the curviture of the larger tire is more extreme?

yeah I read something earlier on here about the weight issue, which I never even thought of. I had a 32 on my TJ (stock rim) for about 3 years with no issue, and I still talk to the guy that bought it. If something happens then I guess I will just fix it. I really see no alternative other then to have a machine shop make a heavy duty bracket, or just wait for someone to make a fix for it at a later date.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

My 35" fits nice and tight (just rubs). I figure the rear bumper is actually giving it added support. I've got 35" Mudstars on 16X8 w/5" backspace.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

I tried to find the picture, Rubimon has them on his. The Pictures are on this forum somewhere, I just cant find them. a 35' is a very heavy tire to be pulling down on the tailgate.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

35's receive a little support from the plastic bumper. They will fit but its a tight fit at best.

I haven't seen anyone mention the additional tapered receiver that the tailgate uses for additional support. The actual weight is not supported by the latch as was the case in older jeeps. Time will tell.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inlo
My 35" fits nice and tight (just rubs). I figure the rear bumper is actually giving it added support. I've got 35" Mudstars on 16X8 w/5" backspace.

well a picture is worth a thousand words... Thanks for the pic.

Man these JK's look so bad azz with big tires!!! I'm going to bed tonight dreaming of 35's jumping over a fence
Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

heres one i found.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is that the Electra Jeep? I think those are 33"s!!!!

Does ANYONE know what model rim that is?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

The bumber does carry the weight. 17 x 8 with 4.5" backspacing

Quick Reply: Question for anyone with 35's or bigger