Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for a near future JK modder

Old 01-18-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for a near future JK modder

I'm sure this is beaten to death, but I will have the stock 16" wheels and want to upgrade to at least 32" tires. Can anyone recommend a decent priced All Terrain tire. This will be my daily driver and I don't want to keep the tire noise down as much as I can.

Also, will any correction need to be made to calibrate my speedo for the new tires? I've dirvien mustangs my whole life and always had to do that when I changed the diameter of the wheels and tires.

Thanks

Greg
Old 01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by SaleenPowr
I'm sure this is beaten to death, but I will have the stock 16" wheels and want to upgrade to at least 32" tires. Can anyone recommend a decent priced All Terrain tire. This will be my daily driver and I don't want to keep the tire noise down as much as I can.

Also, will any correction need to be made to calibrate my speedo for the new tires? I've dirvien mustangs my whole life and always had to do that when I changed the diameter of the wheels and tires.

Thanks

Greg

Your dealer can reprogram your speedo for bigger tires

I'm betting most will say go with BFG A/T's. They can be bought at most tire shops or support our vendors. 4wd sells tires. I'm not sure what other venders do

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/
Old 01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Your dealer can reprogram your speedo for bigger tires

I'm betting most will say go with BFG A/T's. They can be bought at most tire shops or support our vendors. 4wd sells tires. I'm not sure what other venders do

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24
Your dealer can only reprogram your speedo for tires up to 32" in diameter. Anything higher and you're SOL.

BFG ATs are nice, they wear really well and perform decently. There are stickier tires out there, but they wear faster.

-E
Old 01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. How much does a dealer charge to reprogram the speedo?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Mine charged me $39 to reprogram it.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like half an hour's labor, whatever their minimum shop charge is. If you are really sweet and/or really pissed, you might get them to do it for free while they are doing a TSB.

-E
Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Flash for tire size

I just returned from my local dealer in Puyallup, WA and they flashed my computer for 31.5" tires and charged me $40. I'm running 265/75-16s so it should be real close.

I'll be checking the accuracy with my Garmin GPS tomorrow. They said if I wasn't happy with it, they could change it to another size for free.

The main reason I was there was to fix my radio cutout. Time will tell if that's fixed.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good AT tire that is pretty cheap is the Pirelli Scorpion AT. I had this on some previous XJ's and had great success. One of the cheapest AT's and best in my opinion, got great mileage/wear out of em, great off road and had a pretty aggressive look for an AT.

Grew up on mustangs, 91 GT HEAVILY modified and 70 Mach 1 351 Cleveland, good to see a fellow stanger on this forum. What year Saleen you have? Sorry to change thread...
Old 01-19-2007, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKMAN
A good AT tire that is pretty cheap is the Pirelli Scorpion AT. I had this on some previous XJ's and had great success. One of the cheapest AT's and best in my opinion, got great mileage/wear out of em, great off road and had a pretty aggressive look for an AT.

Grew up on mustangs, 91 GT HEAVILY modified and 70 Mach 1 351 Cleveland, good to see a fellow stanger on this forum. What year Saleen you have? Sorry to change thread...
Thanks for the advice on the tires. As for the mustang, the one I have now is a slightly modded 2005 GT. My screen name, SaleenPowr, has been with me since the days of Prodigy when I actually had a 91 Saleen. I've had the name forever and use it on several forums. One day I will get around to changing it.

Quick Reply: Question for a near future JK modder