Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about buying new rims to mount in factory tires

Old 04-19-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about buying new rims to mount in factory tires

1. I think the rims I am looking at are too wide for the tires I currently own.

I have a 2012 Jeep JK unlimited Rubicon which has the following wheel specs:
- BFG LT255/75R17 tires
- 17 x 7.5" rims w/ 6.25" of backspacing

I would like to buy 17x9 Pro Comp 7032 rims, and mount them in my BFG tires.
Link to rims: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

I am concerned because these rims are 9" wide and the only spec I can find on the BFG tires (from tirerack.com) say that they can only fit a rim as wide as 8.5".

What would you guys do?

2. I see on the Modified Tech Sticky that they do not advise going above 4.75" of back spacing. I can't picture this in my mind, and I was wondering if someone could please explain what would be rubbing if I went to 5" of backspacing.

3. Do I need to get a new set of lug nuts, or can I reuse the ones I have?

4. Is the TPMS part of the rim or tire, and can I reuse my TPMS sensors with the new rims?

5. Is there anything else I have missed on my checklist that you guys think I should know?

Thank you,
Old 04-19-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

People slap wider tires on the narrow stock rims all the time. Putting rims that are a wider than the recommendation on may cause more issues with seating the tires, but for only a 1/2" wider than the recommendation, it shouldn't be a problem. Assuming that your tire shop will mount them. But, no harm in waiting until you get new, bigger tires.

The BS recommendation assumes that you are getting bigger tires, not new rims for stock tires. Taller/wider tires need to be pushed further out to keep from rubbing components/frame/bumper/skid/whatever.

Depends on the rims, I think? You might ask discount.

You can re-use the tpms, but some shops will make you get rebuild kits or something like that for when they reinstall into new rims. No idea if they are actually needed.

Many people get rid of the tpms sensors, and just turn the light off with a programmer/tuner.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-19-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about buying new rims to mount in factory tires