Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about upgrading axele shafts and U-Joints

Old 01-14-2008, 10:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about upgrading axele shafts and U-Joints

Hello....Well, I have made the unwise decision of running a KM2 38x14.5 tire on my Rubicon unlimited . Why? Because I went in to purchase a set of 37X12 BFG KM2's and since they are on a pretty long back order, they offered to sell me their 38's that they had on display for the same cost. I thought it was a great deal...so the next thing I know, is that I have a set of 38s. I have also ordered Walker Evans Beadlocks...and they also concern me because these are very heavy wheels. I have already ordered front/rear superior gears/axle shafts...but my next concern is the U-joints. I know that the 07-08's are still using U-joints with half circle clips... I was wondering by using Superior axles, can I upgrade to CTM U-joints that have full circle clips? Not sure if it works...thought I would ask..If it does work, is this a good/bad upgrade? any other helpful suggestions on how to beef up the d44? (with out getting 60's, at least not yet). Will the (thin) axle tubes hold up ok? Should I add gussets? I am worried about doing this because I am installing the Skyjacker 6" long arm right now, I don't want to add gussets and have them be in the way if I choose to upgrade to the FT long arm at some point in the future. thanks guys.. Please don't give me to much trouble for running 38's . I will be hitting the trails at least twice a month after my build up. I am in Utah, so mostly rock crawling, while I am usually not to hard on the gas, I am worried about the amount of time I will be on the trails..I know things will break, but I am trying to do what I can for now to eliminate weak points b4 I hit the trail. thanks guys

Brian

For what its worth, I Ran 37's on stock axles for about a year on my "old" 06 Jeep unlimited Rubi.

Last edited by bracket; 01-14-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

have you thaught about installing the Solid hub kit. You can run CTM's with that if your looking to upgrade your U-joints, it also gives you 30 spline outters
Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
have you thaught about installing the Solid hub kit. You can run CTM's with that if your looking to upgrade your U-joints, it also gives you 30 spline outters
He already has 30 spline outer????
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
He already has 30 spline outer????
right.........
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Ujoints really aren't your problem. Your complete drive line is the problem.
38's are a huge tire for your set up. putting in a stronger ujoint makes everything else the week point. D44 is a good axle but not that good. Axle shafts need upgrading, you definately should put some added support on the housing and tubes. you will mostlikely have trouble with the r&p.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just for the record. CTM's can be used on a daily driver also. Hub kit not required.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

thanks, Dave I was under the impressing you could'nt use them on the stocks.

learn something new everyday on here
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

As of right now CTM does not have a U-Joint for the JK. But they are working on it.

But Just in case any body was wondering the CTM's can be used on a daily driver.

Superior is making the JK shafts to accept the 760 U-joints so if you upgrade to that you can run CTM's

David
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
...Superior is making the JK shafts to accept the 760 U-joints so if you upgrade to that you can run CTM's

David
Is that the only reason they made their axles to accept 760's instead of the new larger joint used in the Rubicon? It seems to me that it would be even mo-better to design the shafts for the larger joint and then let CTM make a joint to fit.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Is that the only reason they made their axles to accept 760's instead of the new larger joint used in the Rubicon?
I cant tell you why Superior did it the way they did. I do know that Alloy USA is working on making new axles with the bigger Joints.

David

Quick Reply: Questions about upgrading axele shafts and U-Joints