Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on parts for replacing clutch

Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on parts for replacing clutch

It's looking like I have to replace my clutch (JK 2009 X). I have a few questions about the specific items I need to get...

Centerforce CFT360981 II Clutch Pressure Plate - Found this easily enough online.
Centerforce 383914 Clutch Disc - Also found easily online.
Centerforce 51009 Alignment Tool - I *think* this is the one I need? Based off the centerforce website?
Centerforce 41003 Pilot Bearings - Again, I *think* I have the correct one but can't find a definitive *yes*.
National TOB 614093 - Found at Advanced Auto Parts.

If it turns out I need a new flywheel, I was planning on just getting another OEM 04668504AB flywheel.

There is a kit on the Centerforce website, but from what I've heard the National TOB is the way to go (I've had the chirping problem before), and I save around $100 by just getting the parts piecemeal.

I just want to make sure I get the correct parts. I've done a little bit of work on my Jeep, but I'm still pretty new to it.

-Sarkis-
Old 09-15-2017, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Look at the LUK kit, you can get it at summit racing, napa, and other locations. It comes with everything you need for around $150 IF you want the national throw out bearing then you can also get it separately. I have done both the center force and LUK in my various jeeps and the center force is just not worth the extra money.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also heard the same thing about the centerforce clutch. They are a race style material so they grab early, have a ton of wear material and generate a lot of dust. The OEM or copies are probably better for off-road because they do allow a bit more abuse.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd go with the Mopar pilot bearing. I did that, the mopar TOB (bad choice but the National didn't work any better) and the Spec stage 1. Maybe I should have gone for the stage 2 or LuK but I can say I won't buy another Spec when this one goes. They have shit customer service -after- the sale, but quite helpful on the front end.

To do it again- I'd go all Mopar or try the LuK. The spec allows for very little slip and burns much easier than the stock one, even for simple tasks like backing a trailer on level ground.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

I would have the flywheel turned at a local drivel-line shop. This will save you a ton of money in the long run. The Centerforce parts will add weight to your drive train without any benefit for an offroad vehicle. (Unless you are rock crawling a lot). I picked up my third throw out bearing at the local Autozone and the quality is greatly improved. The older TOB's still had rough cast finish in some places on the part. The National TOB from Autozone was nicely machined and only $35. A stock clutch pack also meets the demands of a daily driver and holds up fine for normal off road use.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go just go with the LuK kit and the National TOB.

About the flywheel, I hear a lot saying get it turned, and a lot of people saying you shouldn't for a Jeep. Even that the factory manual says specifically not to turn it. But then other people say LuK's warranty is void if you don't...

Very confusing. Hopefully it's still in good condition.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There may not be enough metal to safely resurface the stock flywheel, I dont know for a fact, a good machine shop will know, but if the flywheel is heat checked it will need to be replaced or resurfaced.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do your research on the TOB! There are a lot of crappy versions out there. Mine was chattering the first week, and hasn’t stopped 2 years later. I went with the Centerforce clutch and I’m happy with it. I would’ve gotten the shop to change it, but they wouldn’t warranty it because I had supplied the parts. Lesson learned. There are lots of threads about it.

Quick Reply: Questions on parts for replacing clutch