Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Gearing from 4:56 to 4:88

Old 05-28-2016, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I don't see the small change in ratio being worth the cost.
Agreed.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I'm running 5.13's and 35's right now. I don't have any issues on the street at all. I rarely use 1st gear, but I'm fine with that, I'll give up 1st on the street for the control it provides in the rocks. I live in Phoenix AZ, while it's not the most populated city in the land, it sprawls forever. Driving for an hour does not get me to any wheeling spot, I am always on the road a min. of 1.5 hrs to get to wheeling terrain. Currently, 70mph is 2900rpm, 75mph is 3100rpm. With today's lightweight rotating assemblies, over head cams, and the VVT I'm really not concerned about the motor living at those rpms. It's not like we a are driving 1980's OHV V8's with 2lb pistons slinging around anymore. 37's, and I'm guessing here, would drop those rpms by ~200. Absolutely livable, and I'm betting the the added weight, that little extra tire diameter would make 1st more of an option on the street again. You say it's a 6spd(as is mine) so you do not have a tq convertor to help with the slow speed off road stuff. You really want to go as deep in the gearing as you can, yet still tolerate for road use. Like I said, when I go to 37's I'll be going to 5.38's. All of the above is based off the idea that you are going to wheel it in precarious situations... situations where most folks are going to look and say "there's no way a Jeep can go there". If this rig will be used more for light wheeling (body damage highly unlikely, roll over situations non-existant) then maybe selecting a gear set more focused on the highway is a better bet.
70 at 2900 rpm's isn't bad, because I'm right about 2700 rpm's at that speed. And no, I won't be wheeling in precarious situations. I primarily use it for hunting. For the street, I want my 2nd gear to be lower so I have more power at take-off, but not as low as what my 1st gear is now, which is too low. I'm not sure how to figure this to know what gear ratio will put my 2nd gear the same as what my 1st gear ratio is now. I guess this is what I need to find out so I don't go too low.

My 1st gear will then become better suited for creeping around in the woods. See....I rarely use 4-wheel low, so I can't take advantage of those lower ratios. I guess I could use it, but why be in low on flat, dry ground?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found a great gear ratio calculator that shows the difference between ratios with the tranny you're running......http://www.4ws.com/gear-ratio-rpm-calculator

Based on this, when I went from a 4:10 gear with 35's to a 4:56 with 35's, I made a 11.3% change. Figuring same size tires....if I went from 4:56 to 4:88 like I'm thinking, I'd see a 7% change. But if I went from 4:56 to 5:13, I'd come in at a 12.4% change (closer to what I felt when I went from 4:10 to 4:56). I don't think a 7% change is what I really want.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I bought my manual jeep on 35's I had 3:73. Rough but worked. I am now on 37's and 4:88. Very happy with this mix.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
What about the back way to Crown King? Table Mesa RD has atleast 5 tough great trails... some of the best are closer than you realize...
Yep, Crown King(which is wayy too crowded now) and TM(still don't know my way around there well, but do go on group runs) are a little over an hour from my house, FJ, Hackberry, Sunflower are all in the 1.5hr range...
Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would suggest putting the gear money towards an 5:1 atlas giving you better off road gearing and leaving 5.13 with 37's.
I've given that a great deal of thought.

Last edited by Mike H.; 05-29-2016 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Re-Gearing from 4:56 to 4:88