Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 5.5 rear lift, New horrible clicking noise (drivetrain)

Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 5.5 rear lift, New horrible clicking noise (drivetrain)

Hey y'all,

So I've recently had new 5.5" lift coils (I think from rubicon express) installed on my JK, and now it makes a clicking noise that is directly related to engine RPM. As I accelerate, the noise not only becomes louder, but also increases in "tempo." The sound appears to be coming from directly under the jeep. I'm running a 4" lift up front (used to have 4" in rear too, no problems), along with a bunch of other junk in the front suspension (control arms, high steer kit, track bar, AEV stuff), but the rear is mostly stock components. Stock drive shafts as well (IK, not good). Im suspecting the drive shafts, but was wanting other opinions/ similar experience. Has been occurring for about 1,000 miles now. Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Old 03-09-2018, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Sounds like a driveshaft, are you running the factory shaft or an aftermarket? I assume you don't have a caster corrected axle and to get caster you would have some bad driveling angles at that height.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

100% your driveshaft.

5.5" of lift....Jesus dude. At least get some control arms to adjust your pinion angle.

Quick Reply: New 5.5 rear lift, New horrible clicking noise (drivetrain)