Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Gearing Question

Old 02-04-2018, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Most shops that know what they are doing don't want you to bring parts to them. They get the same gears you buy at a deeper discount and it does not save you anything. I know shops that wont do gears if you bring them in or will jack the price because they have had too many problems with people bringing the wrong stuff and the shop has to deal with getting the right parts. Also if you supply parts you leave the warrantee up in the air where you blame a bad install and the installer blames the gears.
Unfortunately most shops that demand you use parts supplied by them will double the discounted retail you'd pay Northridge or Marcus, etc. They don't have any magic dust that gets better parts than what you can buy yourself, you just have to be informed a bit. From what I've seen NR4X4 will warranty R&P fails straight up, no hassles over "who did the install?," etc.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Maybe you need to find new shops. Here you can get two axles done with gears for $1200-$1300
Old 02-05-2018, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Maybe you need to find new shops. Here you can get two axles done with gears for $1200-$1300
Trust me Brother Dirtman, I'm in that exact process as we speak. Luckily I have some time, my MC suspension is still probably 10 days out, and my assistant is headed to Colorado for 2 weeks.
I'm currently herding cats, and lining up ducks.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

there's a shop here in the Fort Worth area that will do it for $1100, and promises to have it done in 2 hours time.....cept as it turns out, they don't bother to install any of the bearings that come along with your master install kits.

Can't make that stuff up. If you decided to have a weekend getaway here to Dallas, I could tell ya the shop to go to.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Gear Help Too!

Hi...new to this forum and couldn't figure out how to start thread (also in a hurry!). My 2014 JKU is actually in the shop not getting a new lift and regearing (4.88). I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow and I got a call from the shop (4 Wheel Parts) today telling me that all this other stuff needs repairs, to the tune of $800!!! Supposedly axle bearings leaking bad and need a new limited slip differential. Said spider gears are bad, probably due to bad install from factory. Mind you I haven't had any issues with my Jeep, only around 35k miles, and no off-roading. I'm honestly doubting what they told me. I'm nowhere close to shop to even go look at it, so I'm supposed to trust what they said. Oh yeah and couldn't get piece until Monday and I needed by Jeep by tomorrow. Is this possible with the spider gears given the information I just mentioned? And if they are damaged, would I have issues with the new gears they are installing (G2)?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by anvil_jeep_girl
Hi...new to this forum and couldn't figure out how to start thread (also in a hurry!). My 2014 JKU is actually in the shop not getting a new lift and regearing (4.88). I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow and I got a call from the shop (4 Wheel Parts) today telling me that all this other stuff needs repairs, to the tune of $800!!! Supposedly axle bearings leaking bad and need a new limited slip differential. Said spider gears are bad, probably due to bad install from factory. Mind you I haven't had any issues with my Jeep, only around 35k miles, and no off-roading. I'm honestly doubting what they told me. I'm nowhere close to shop to even go look at it, so I'm supposed to trust what they said. Oh yeah and couldn't get piece until Monday and I needed by Jeep by tomorrow. Is this possible with the spider gears given the information I just mentioned? And if they are damaged, would I have issues with the new gears they are installing (G2)?

Thanks for the help!
Axle bearings can't leak. If axle seals are what was meant, I'd replace those regardless while it is apart. Sometimes worn parts are found on disassembly and it just makes sense to replace while it is apart. A shop has two incentives for this: They don't want a future warranty repair plus customer complaints from cutting corners, and it's more business up front. Regardless of the profession, I tend to worry more about quality work than dishonesty. Suggest asking for the old parts back because you're internet buddies are interested in pics.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Surely just a misunderstanding and they are talking about the axle seals, but new seals and bearings should have been part of the master install kits....and replaced anyhow. I'd question the fact needing a new LSD with only 35k miles. I don't think I'd drop $800 without seeing it with my own eyes. Most regears are pretty straight forward. I hate 4WP, but I'm gonna give em the benefit of the doubt cuz I don't think shops like that find it to good policy to try to "hoodwink" customers by "finding" issues that aren't REALLY there, but you never know. It all comes down to specific individuals and their ethics.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by anvil_jeep_girl
My 2014 JKU
need a new limited slip differential.
This is the factory rear limited slip with clutches, correct? If you were at the shop, you could test it to see whether it works at all. Since you aren't, you kinda have to make a judgement call on whether you believe them. If you decide not to have it replaced, no problems, you'll just have an open diff instead of a limited. And the BLD will still be working anyway.

But, if you do decide to replace, do yourself a favor and have them use a Detroit Truetrac, NOT another factory limited. Much better unit, and though I haven't looked at prices, I would guess it is cheaper than buying the factory limited.

Lol, I just looked up prices. Maybe your shop has a different source for the factory limited, but this is what's on their website...

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...pn=OAI16505.38
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra..._pn=EAT913A589

For that price difference, get both front a rear truetracs and call it a day.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-02-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Any update on this over the weekend?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
Unfortunately most shops that demand you use parts supplied by them will double the discounted retail you'd pay Northridge or Marcus, etc. They don't have any magic dust that gets better parts than what you can buy yourself, you just have to be informed a bit. From what I've seen NR4X4 will warranty R&P fails straight up, no hassles over "who did the install?," etc.
I'll also disagree with this. Bring your gears and it will cost more. That's great that NR4x4 will replace them. Then bring them back to the installer for the same special labor fee from before when you brought your own gears. The gear manufacturer has many ways of offsetting the cost of labor to replace them, which is why an installer will warranty it. Plus, install kits come with parts you don't need and almost always are missing parts you do need. Those missing parts also come with special pricing from the installer if you bring your own parts in. Large shops aren't buying install kits, that's needlessly expensive. They maintain an inventory of install parts and use what is needed.

Quick Reply: Re-Gearing Question