Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake rotor ticking.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear brake rotor ticking.

Ok so i bought a new set of front and rear drilled and slotted rotors for my 2014 JKU. Install was smooth everything fit perfectly. I've done several hundred brake jobs so it's not from lack of experience. During the initial test drive/break in i noticed an odd ticking sound. After much trial and error it ended up being the rear rotors. So with the new pads installed and using my stock rear rotors, there was no ticking noise. I contacted the vendor and they sent me a new set of rear rotors. So i installed the second set of new drilled and slotted rotors and went to do the test drive/ break in and wouldn't ya know it, it started ticking again. The ticking sound is constant. It's not only when i hit the brakes. It's easier to hear at slower speeds but i can hear it as i slow down from higher speeds, even without touching the brake pedal. It sounds as if the ticking sound speeds up when i do apply the brakes. There is no issue with brake function at all. They stop great. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could there be a clearance issue with the ebrake shoes or hardware, maybe the ebrake clearance is a bit different with the new rear rotors ?
Old 12-16-2018, 12:42 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

There's some flat-spring clips that hold the pad tight in the caliper. Did those get replaced? When they don't, a problem can be a metallic click when the brakes are initially applied. A dab of brake grease helps as well. This isn't the exact symptom you described, but I'm wondering if the slotting is somehow causing the pad to move enough to make a click. Another thought is that the rotors have too much face runout, which makes the pad move back and forth each revolution.

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-16-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the same thing with the slotted brakes on my Pontiac G8. Almost sounded like a card in bicycle spokes. I just got over it. I don't notice it at all with the slotted rotors on my 1-ton axles on the Jeep though.

Quick Reply: Rear brake rotor ticking.