Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear DS Boot Torn But no Grease Splatter

Old 08-05-2017, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear DS Boot Torn But no Grease Splatter

Am I asking for trouble or...?
Old 08-05-2017, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjnomo
Am I asking for trouble or...?
Basically... am I looking at an eventual sudden catastrophic failure?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Are you looking at the slip boot or CV boot? The answer is no regardless but if the slip boot no need to worry at all.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been torn for 50k miles. I do have zip tie around it to keep the boot from slapping my jeep.
So far - so good.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rear boot is also a little torn from rubbing against rocks and what not, I lost the clamp in on of the ends, so I used a zip tie to put it back in place, and I've been running it like that for the past 40k miles, no issues.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My boot was roughed up a little from contacting the stock evap cooler skid. Replaced it with a Poison Spyder skid and it's been fine.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbolander
My boot was roughed up a little from contacting the stock evap cooler skid. Replaced it with a Poison Spyder skid and it's been fine.
This is what happened to me. Evap skid got to it. Glad to hear it's not gonna be an issue. Thanks to all that replied!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is what happened to me. Evap skid got to it. Glad to hear it's not gonna be an issue. Thanks to all that replied!!!
Terraflex has a good little mod to move it 1" to the driver side so it won't contact the boot anymore. Check YouTube.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

The time that you might have this become an issue is if you ever need to removed one end, either from the TC side or the diff side. In order to do so, the shaft needs to compress a bit to gain clearance to remove it from the one side. If the boot has been torn for some time, you might see an issue with it extending again to reinstall it. This very thing happened to me when I regeared. I was able to get it mounted back to the the rear pinion....but it was really difficult. It LOOKED like I got it extended and installed again, but really I was just yanking that joint apart. Wrapped up what had been an extremely long day, lowered the lift, reprogrammed the computer, went to back out and zing, plop....DS tore right apart at the diff side joint and fell to the ground. It was comical....all we could do was laugh. Anyhow, there's a real life example of when that could be an issue. Normal driving/wheelin' this is no big deal.

I needed a new rear DS in a pinch, and found a factory takeoff around town for $50. When I went to install it, I questioned if it could be installed flip flop so that the boot wouldn't contact that evap skid. Been running like that for over a year now and no issues.....and no ripped boot on that replacement DS.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good info!!!

Quick Reply: Rear DS Boot Torn But no Grease Splatter