Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear locker won't unlock!!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monte417
Your magnetic actuator thingy is probably toast. You can replace part now I believe. It involves removing the carrier bearing on that side though. I'll try and finds. A link to the part number
Just a thought...

Why would this problem be his magnetic actuator if he can slide the ring over but the axle is still locked

If his magnetic actuator is toast wouldn't that cause a non-lock situation not a unlock one.

What else would keep it locked if you can still push the locking ring over
Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
This is the part that needs to be replaced. They just starting selling this part not long ago. Beats buying a whole new locker assembly. Google the part number and find the best price RpmExtreme Jeep Rubicon D44 E Locker Magnet Assembly 2005193 :: RPM Extreme
That's very interesting.....hadn't seen you can now buy that part and replace. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 JK Rubicon is locked up in the rear. Can't get it to unlock to save my life!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocotillo Boy
My 2012 JK Rubicon is locked up in the rear. Can't get it to unlock to save my life!
If sliding the actuator ring over through the fill hole isn't working, you need to drain the oil and remove the cover. Odds are that ring isn't moving over all the way around the carrier. Mine locked up bad in Moab. On top of moving the ring over with a screwdriver, I had to jack up the rear axle and play with the tires at the same time to get the dog clutch to release. It sounds like your wave spring might be shot. Mine started getting a little sticky unlocking, and it progressively got worse over time to the point that when I locked it, there was no getting it unlocked by itself.

If you want the real bad news, there's no simple replacement for the rubi locker. It's stupid money for the same POS locker, or it's more money for a decent 35-spline locker that will then require new 35-spline axle shafts.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
If sliding the actuator ring over through the fill hole isn't working, you need to drain the oil and remove the cover. Odds are that ring isn't moving over all the way around the carrier. Mine locked up bad in Moab. On top of moving the ring over with a screwdriver, I had to jack up the rear axle and play with the tires at the same time to get the dog clutch to release. It sounds like your wave spring might be shot. Mine started getting a little sticky unlocking, and it progressively got worse over time to the point that when I locked it, there was no getting it unlocked by itself.

If you want the real bad news, there's no simple replacement for the rubi locker. It's stupid money for the same POS locker, or it's more money for a decent 35-spline locker that will then require new 35-spline axle shafts.
Truth here.....and when mine did the same (wave spring shot), it was also in Moab <key twilight theme>. At any rate, because it is stupid expensive, now is the time to consider upgrading. I ended up selling my setup for $1,200 to someone that wanted to upgrade to a D44 and invested in a PR60.

Quick Reply: Rear locker won't unlock!!