Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Sway Bar Links Rubbing Wheels

Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sway Bar Links Rubbing Wheels

Hey. I haven't been on here in forever but now I need help. I have a 2007 Rubi with a 4" lift. The lift was originally a rough country lift but I used Currie's arms. (All 8) I used adjustable sway bar links to level the arms versus them being angled down but I don't remember the brand. I bought and installed BFG KM2 35X12 tires on Mickey Thompson Wheels.
I have saved my factory wheels and tires and now need to install them on my jeep due to wear on the BFG's and current financial situation. When I do this, the rear sway bar adjustable links rub the inside of the factory wheels. ]
Do you all know if there is a manufacturer of sway bar links that will allow the running of the factory wheels while keeping[ the rear sway bar level?
I guess I could always just use the original factory ones (yes I saved them also) to prevent rubbing.
Thanks in advance. I'll check back for answers in a while.

Bodo
I see in my stats that the links are Northridge 4x4 adjustable sway bar links?

Last edited by Bodo; 05-17-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to mount the swaybar links inboard. Or use wheel spacers.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Agreed, this mainly sounds like a wheel issue and not having proper back spacing. Running wheel spacers would be a fix, but would kinda suck since it sounds like you just bought those wheels. Other alternative is inboarding the links like suggested above. If you do that, be very careful you clear your hard brake line otherwise you could flex up, grab the line, and pull it down sharply. The last thing might be to buy different sway bar links that are more narrow. Not sure which ones you have, but look at Rock Krawler's or another model that might offer a slimmer solution.

tbh, all of these "solutions" suck vs. just having properly back spaced wheels to start with.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Seems like I tried to mount the links inboard and that wouldn't work. I bought the wheels and tires years ago. I only have 55000 miles on this Rubi but the tires are getting worn. I need to replace them and was hoping to use the original tires and wheels since I have stored them and they are practically brand new. (Yeah I know they are gonna look funny with a 4" lift but medical bills are taking precedence now.)
Any manufacturers got any suggestions?
Thanks y'all.
Barry
Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Bodo
Seems like I tried to mount the links inboard and that wouldn't work. I bought the wheels and tires years ago. I only have 55000 miles on this Rubi but the tires are getting worn. I need to replace them and was hoping to use the original tires and wheels since I have stored them and they are practically brand new. (Yeah I know they are gonna look funny with a 4" lift but medical bills are taking precedence now.)
Any manufacturers got any suggestions?
Thanks y'all.
Barry
If you're in a pinch budget wise, the easiest and most economical thing is probably to throw some wheel spacers on there. I'd look to stay with a name brand like Spidertrax or Synergy myself. Stay away from cheap options on ebay or Amazon. 1.5" Synergys are $144 brand new on Northridge4x4 with the jkforum discount code (for a set of 4). Spidertrax would run a bit more. If you do use spacers, just make sure to install and torque per specs.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

make sure you remove the rotor retainer clips on the lugs if you go with the spacers
Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies. The adjustable links will not install on the inside due to interference from bolt heads. I could go back to the factory sway bar links but that will tilt the rear swayer down. Would this be a dangerous thing? Seems like I ran it this way for a while before installing the adjustable links. Memory may be slipping though.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Bodo
Thanks for the replies. The adjustable links will not install on the inside due to interference from bolt heads. I could go back to the factory sway bar links but that will tilt the rear swayer down. Would this be a dangerous thing? Seems like I ran it this way for a while before installing the adjustable links. Memory may be slipping though.
The risk would be flexing the rear axle enough to potential bind up the sway bar, but honestly, it doesn't sound like you'll be doing that sort of stuff right now and you just need it to drive. Optimally it would be parallel to the ground/up just a few degrees, but if it's angled down a few degrees you're probably fine to get by on. Judgement call on your part.

If the factory sway bar lengths were just way to short, yet another option is to make your own new ones. I made my own rear end links out of 4 rod ends off ebay for $20 shipped free, $6 stick of 1/2" all thread, and small bit of grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers from hardware store.

I recall free shipping on the ones I bought, but example -

ECON 1/2 x 1/2-20 FEMALE RH ROD ENDS HEIM JOINTS HEIMS | eBay
Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your wheel backspacing? Just run a spacer and make it easy on yourself. Nothing wrong with a wheel spacer as long as it's a quality brand and properly installed.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
What is your wheel backspacing? Just run a spacer and make it easy on yourself. Nothing wrong with a wheel spacer as long as it's a quality brand and properly installed.
OP is strapped for cash, has to go back to factory wheels due to budget for the time being. Spacers are best option all things considered, but still trying to find a cheaper solution....that is why asking about the factory links again.

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar Links Rubbing Wheels