Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear sway bar removal

Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear sway bar removal

anyone done this or tried it? i have front quick disconnects but a recent trip on a RTI the rear seemed limited. was wondering if anyone has removed the rear swaybar and just ran the front? i have a 4" skiyjacker lift, running 35's.

thanks for any input
Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

From the FAQ's:

Q: Do I need to disconnect my rear sway bar links?
A: No. You do not want or need to disconnect your rear sway bar links. Your rear sway bar is made out of a much narrower bar and is much softer so it will allow for plenty of unobstructed articulation while providing stability you want.

Saw pictures of someone who did it and would not recommend it.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinkin my rear is definitely not as 'soft' as the front. I know the sway bar is dinky and isn't limiting articulation. It's just fighting it some it seems. I'd have to try it myself to decide if it was worth it or not.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

I have been thinking about removing my rear sway. I have AEV's lift and I can't get the rear to stuff to the bumpstops. I'm thinking the coils are stiff enough and the rear sway is just adding to the madness. I might remove it and see if I can get full stuff in the rear. I I do I'll leave it off after a few runs around on ramps. Right now my JK handles like a sports car
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

You will get a higher RTI score with the rear bar removed. I wouldn't recommend wheeling hilly, off camber terrain without it.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

In the past (In my TJ) I have removed the rear way bar when wheeling an it had made a big difference. Howver, in the JK, the sway bar does bend quite a bit. have disconnectedthe rear when I was stock since I had a LCOG, I did find more "roll". Now that I'm lifted, I don't disconnect. I can go either way with this one depending on the severity of the terrain. Some have said in the past that it makes no difference, HOWEVER, if it doesn't, why the hell did Jeep put it on there?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wells
You will get a higher RTI score with the rear bar removed. I wouldn't recommend wheeling hilly, off camber terrain without it.
This i agree with. However, myself with the electronic front disconnect, locking the front up at the push of a button would cure that.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Augie
HOWEVER, if it doesn't, why the hell did Jeep put it on there?

I agree there too, any bar that is designed to keep the body from rolling on the axle will affect how easily the axle will want to articulate.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

I have disconnected the rear sway bar before and I can tell a difference between disconnected and not disconnected. I have not had an issue with the off camber issue that most talk about on here but I will have to say the ride quality is better with it disconnected on the trail.

Here are pictures of it disconnected out on the trail.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

honestly, i don't understand the logic behind disconnecting the rear sway bar as it is significantly thinner and more flexible than the front sway bar. in my experience, your rear sway bar will not hinder your flex enough to warrant it's removal especially when it offers you more stability. in fact, people who have been off-roading a long time will tell you that having a softer torsion rate front sway bar is much more desirable to have on the trail than being disconnected as it provides stability. this is why companies such as currie have made a name for themselves developing the Anit-Rock Swaybar system or ORO with their dual rated swaybar system. trust me on this one, keep your rear sway bar connected.

btw - here's me flexing on a 30° RTI ramp with my factory rear sway bar connected...

believe me, if it weren't for my limiting straps and bumpstops getting in the way, the sway bar would flex even more. the only additional flex you will see with the rear sway bar removed is the one in your imagination.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-10-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: rear sway bar removal