Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Trac Lok and regearing?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:10 AM
RnR
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Trac Lok and regearing?

I have a 16 JK 2 door sport s, I'm regearing from 3.21s up to 4.56s. I need a new low ratio carrier for the dana 30 front. Will the Trac Lok be affected in the rear with the new regear install? Dana 44 in the rear and a carrier replacement isn't needed.

I just wanted to know will the rear trac Lok become an open dif after regearing?

Last edited by RnR; 09-21-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't have any effect on it at all if the only thing your doing is swapping gears.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by RnR
I just wanted to know will the rear trac Lok become an open dif after regearing?
Because of the regear? No.

But the factory limited uses clutches, which eventually wear out, becoming just an open diff. How long that takes will depend on your usage. Maybe never, maybe after only a few years.

If you are concerned about improving your jeeps traction, now might be the time to buy something better. Especially for the front, since you are already buying a new open carrier.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Because of the regear? No.

But the factory limited uses clutches, which eventually wear out, becoming just an open diff. How long that takes will depend on your usage. Maybe never, maybe after only a few years.

If you are concerned about improving your jeeps traction, now might be the time to buy something better. Especially for the front, since you are already buying a new open carrier.
16K miles for me and mine was a Trac-Lok open carrier. Junk. I don't think they could have designed a worse POS LSD if they set out to do so.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not suggesting the following is mandatory, but it may be helpful to consider.

The clutch based LSD's are fairly inexpensive to manufacture but if you can afford it I am a huge fan of the TrueTrac and other Helical LSDs. Not only do they work instantaneously they will actually bias the torque.

In a Clutch based LSD (/Posi/etc..) it is typical to get about a 30% lockup when the plates are new. With TrueTrac you get 350% of the torque to one side, and with the BLD system in the JK this works in almost all conditions. There is also the advantage where a TruTrac will put slightly less stress on the drivetrain and reduce the chances of breaking parts.

To put the above numbers in context, as they are different units measure, here is some very approximate math.

100 ft/lbs of torque from the driveshaft would result in the following amount on the tire with traction (ignoring gearing/losses etc...)

Clutch based = 30 ft/lbs
TrueTrac = ~78 ft/lbs

If you are into obstacles and/or rock crawling lockers may still be your best bet, but I like having an LSD which is working all the time I am off road or in the snow. Tastes, use cases, driving styles, and opinions differ but it is a lot less maintenance to swap in a helical when regearing if you like a LSD.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a TrueTrac in rear when I went to 4.10. I really like it. I wish I had installed in front also.

Quick Reply: Rear Trac Lok and regearing?