Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend a OBD/ABS/SRS Scan tool

Old 04-23-2019, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recommend a OBD/ABS/SRS Scan tool

Can anyone recommend a specific OBD/ABS/SRS scanner? From searching online reviews the Innova 3100J and BlueDriver come up quite often. Other brands such as Autel and Ancel pop up too along with other models of the Innova brand.

Any specific brand/model you'd recommend? Want one that can read OBD, ABS, SRS.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there any phone app/bluetooth adapter combo you would recommend?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I use a cheap Bluetooth OBDII plug with the Torque App (I think it's Android only) for a good amount of stuff. I also have an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge that will read/clear codes. Finally, I have a cheap Harbor Freight scanner that will read/clear OBDII and ABS codes. None of these will activate the ABS purge process though.

I probably use the Torque App most of the time. The HF scanner has been useful in tracking down speed sensor issues.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a veepeak got it on amazon and it works as well as i need it to. i also use jscan for reading codes and up dating stuff like tire size. both the app and the bluetooth obd2 dongle are for both apple and android
Old 04-24-2019, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Hi I use the bluedriver and it dos it all $99.95 on amazon
Old 04-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTT B
Hi I use the bluedriver and it dos it all $99.95 on amazon
This! One of the best investments I have made. It does it all. It's very useful trouble shooting any problems and I find it extremely useful when shopping used vehicles.

4.5 star rating on Amazon with over 4000 reviews speaks highly to the capability and quality of it.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
This! One of the best investments I have made. It does it all. It's very useful trouble shooting any problems and I find it extremely useful when shopping used vehicles.

4.5 star rating on Amazon with over 4000 reviews speaks highly to the capability and quality of it.
Been thinking of adding one to my arsenal -- Per the website it does Enhanced Codes on my 08 (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.). Does the BlueDriver app list the modules it finds and communicates with? It's the "etc." in the Enhanced Codes that really interest me... In any case, that's a lot of scan tool for $99!

Old 06-02-2019, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bluedriver does everything and works on multiple vehicles. I love mine. Shows and clears all codes along with recommended fixes, live data etc. If it could reset my TPMS and sway bar light it would be the perfect tool
Old 06-03-2019, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Been thinking of adding one to my arsenal -- Per the website it does Enhanced Codes on my 08 (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.). Does the BlueDriver app list the modules it finds and communicates with? It's the "etc." in the Enhanced Codes that really interest me... In any case, that's a lot of scan tool for $99!

I haven't seen where it lists specific modules it communicates with. It does display all available PIDs, then scans and displays all PIDs it detects the vehicle supports for live data monitoring purposes.

If there's any particular function in BlueDriver that you're interested in seeing more of, I'ld be happy to connect it and do a screen capture to show what it actually displays when connected to the JK. I'm sure there's not much difference between your 08 and my 09.

I was kind of surprised, a few weeks back. I got the Mopar trans cooler but still need to install it. Using BlueDriver, I was looking for a transmission temp PID, where I thought it would probably be a good idea to capture some before/after install trans temp data but apparently there's not a trans temp PID on our JK's. Which got me scratching my head and wondering..."well how does it turn on that HOT OIL light?"

A side note, I found to be personally entertaining. I work for Harman who did the original Infinity audio system for the JK. Back before the JK was released I was speaking with the software engineer who was working on that amplifier and I interrupted him with some CAN questions I had, where at the time he was working on implementing all the diagnostic functions for the JK amp and I remember him saying, "my gosh there's a ton of diagnostics I need to program into this amp." So when I used the BlueDriver and it pulled a code from the Infinity amp which basically said the Sub woofer was disconnected, it brought me back to that conversation.

When I previously used the Torque Pro app, it never pulled any amp diag codes, so that was a pretty good indication to me if BlueDriver was drilling down and communicating with the amplifier and pulling stored codes from the amp, then it's likely scanning and communicating with most everything that communicates on the CAN bus. It would be nice if it told you specific modules it did find and is able to communicate with prior to it pulling a code but I haven't seen that function in it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-03-2019 at 01:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (06-03-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want the JScan app on Android. With a Bluetooth adapter, it will set tire sizes, gear ratios, change TPM settings, activate rear camera with the right radio, and a bunch of other things. Cost for the Bluetooth is like $20, and I think about the same for the app. The website indicates it also works on IOS, but I only have experience with it on Android.

JScan ? OBD JScan ? Mobile Jeep Diagnostic Tool

Just a satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Recommend a OBD/ABS/SRS Scan tool