Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing Bumpers

Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Refinishing Bumpers

I just pulled my aftermarket bumpers off my jk. They need to be refinished as they are rusting and scratched up. Anyways, I have decided to try picking up some duplicolor or rustoleum aresol bed liner with the matching etching primer. My question is, would you guys sand off all the crappy powder coating ? Or should i just scuff the areas that the powder is holding up and sand down to bare metal the areas that are rusty? Just Sand down everything to bare metal maybe?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170920_142009.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	675009Click image for larger version

Name:	20170920_142024.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	675010
The following users liked this post:
TrailBadger (01-31-2018)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and have sanded down the offending areas and touched them up only to have more of the powder coating start to come up again and it starts all over.
After doing this a few times I have given up and when I have time and money I plan to completely recover them.

I personally haven't decided on which direction I will go, roll on bed liner or powder coat. Cost will probably be the deciding factor. The place in this town that does powder coating does a excellent job but you pay for it.
TrailBadger (02-01-2018)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I'd aim to remove all the old PC myself. As with most stuff....it's all in the prep work, Even if you used a good self etching primer I'd be worried about getting a good adhesion to the old PC. Better to just start from scratch than to put in the labor only to realize you'll be re-doing the job. I'm not speaking from experience bedlining over PC specifically.....just in general terms of not prepping crap properly and seeing how it turns out.
TrailBadger (02-01-2018)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a local Sandblaster, get it to bare metal, use a self etching primer and do a full reprint, rattle can could be super easy with even strokes and multiple coats.. super easy to touch up if you use the hammered or textured paint, Bedliner has a tendency to hold onto dirt and will lighten the color over time.
TrailBadger (02-01-2018)
Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Well. I took the advice and did some reading. I brought everything down to bare metal. Then I applied Duplicolor self etching primer. After this was 4 coats of Duplicolor Bed Armour (spray cans). The texture is nice but I'm not entirely happy with it yet. The front bumper was installed today after curing out for the past week and a half. The coating is definetlty not very strong. It can scratch fairly easily. Seems more like a rubberized undercoat. Hopefully being outside it hardens. If not, it will Look like shit by spring and I will be doing something else.
TrailBadger (02-01-2018)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I think it's just generally hard trying to achieve really good results with a spray can....some of it due to quality of what's in the can, and some of it just being the spray from such a small nozzle. I'd think something like the real spray on bedliners would net a better result. Something like U-Pol Raptor liner; however, for such a small job that's probably not as cost effective.
TrailBadger (02-01-2018)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner over some OEM Rubcon rails that had rash on them. They came out looking great, but after a year they are starting to peel if rubbed hard enough. I'd vote to get all the existing powder coat off for best adhesion.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ragnarok_jku
I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner over some OEM Rubcon rails that had rash on them. They came out looking great, but after a year they are starting to peel if rubbed hard enough. I'd vote to get all the existing powder coat off for best adhesion.
LOL, OP already went down to bare metal. That was his update not 2 posts above.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, OP already went down to bare metal. That was his update not 2 posts above.
Ha! Totally missed that post.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:39 AM
JK Newbie

Lol

Yeah, time will tell. Seems this stuff I used has good reviews on this site. I do agree that the texture seems nice, but it's scratch resistance is not up to my standards yet. Hopefully it hardens up a bit more. If not, next year I will be having them sprayed professionally with Ameriguard or Linex

Quick Reply: Refinishing Bumpers