JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Replacement coil springs (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/replacement-coil-springs-350985/)

TexJeep82 07-05-2019 04:25 PM

Replacement coil springs

Hey guys , I wanted some experienced opinions on a part swap I'd like to make on my wife's 2015 JKU. I currently have a rough country 3.5" lift running 35s. The ride was terrible after about 4 months so I've swapped to Fox shocks (up to 3.5" lift I believe) and bought new Toyo RTs running +/-35 psi. I had them add adjustable control arms as well. The ride is 1000% better now but my rear springs sag noticeably. Granted I have a big bumper w/tire carrier and 35" spare, but still I would expect the coils to hold up better. So I'm thinking of changing the coils out. Keep in mind that this is not an offroad vehicle yet, wife's DD, until we get it paid off in a few months. Then I'll be adding a D44 up front to give me a little extra strength and possibly run 37s later. So what coils would y'all consider and would I need to change anything else? Any advice is much appreciated.

nthinuf 07-06-2019 09:59 AM

If you are happy with the ride, just add some spacers to regain the lost height. Or, you could make a warranty claim and have them send you new coils. (RC seems to be very good about honoring the warranty. But it puts you right back in the same position when the new ones sag)

If you want new coils, there are plenty of other mfg's to choose from. Your best bet is just to read and research for opinions. And definitely pay attention to the actual lift height gained from each specific coil, as many of them are designed around more heavily geared/armored rigs. (MetalCloak, Synergy, JKS, AEV, RockKrawler, TeraFlex, etc, etc)

You could also ask yourself if you actually need that tall of a lift, as it might be a good time to drop down to 2.5" coils. (which you could very well get 3+" from.) That could also have the added bonus of letting you get rid of the drop draglink/trackbar bracket combo before they become an issue. (if you aren't familiar with them, shouldn't be too difficult to find a post or two talking about those particular components...)

resharp001 07-06-2019 12:29 PM

Does your lift have rear adjustable control arms? If you've pushed the rear axle back you probably have a good bow to the rear springs unless you've re-positioned your axle-side perches or are using a correction wedge for the coil to sit on.....which obviously reduce lift just a bit. The cheapest alternative would just be throw small spacer pucks on top of the rear springs.

TexJeep82 07-06-2019 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4344905)
Does your life have rear adjustable control arms? If you've pushed the rear axle back you probably have a good bow to the rear springs unless you've re-positioned your axle-side perches or are using a correction wedge for the coil to sit on.....which obviously reduce lift just a bit. The cheapest alternative would just be throw small spacer pucks on top of the rear springs.

It was sagging before I added the control arms but I think it's more pronounced now. I'm really trying to add parts as I go to swap to 37-38s in 6 months or so. Looking at the metal cloak 2.5" or Evo 3" coils. Just trying to get some perspective from people that are running 2.5-3.5" coils. I hate having to spend extra money on stuff that's not going to be useful later. When I order the 37s they won't be on until I have secured the D44 to put up front and geared front/back and drive shafts.

resharp001 07-06-2019 06:12 PM

It's not my normal advice, and I'm not a fan of RC at all, but still, those coils aren't going to continue losing inches over the years. Adding a spacer is the easiest and most cost effective thing, Maybe $50. If you're hell bent on swapping to a different brand of coils, the honest truth is remove the entire lift and re-install the desired lift. I know that isn't what you want to hear, and might think I'm being a little jerky, but it's the truth.

Without seeing the specific lift, hard to tell, but that RC lift likely has drop pitman arm and raised TB bracket which is how they typically address a high steer kit. If you put a 2.5" MC spring (or other quality spring which is meant for a fully armored rig), you're likely to net 3-3.5" of lift, BUT, if you don't now you're in the dilemna of you need at least 3" of net lift to accommodate the high steer kit.

Separately from what I said above, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that will recommend EVO coils over MC. 90% of people will bitch about Rock Krawler products, and for good reason, but for us Texas guys that don't have to deal with wintery rust issues, that is an option as well, especially since they are usually well discounted.

Can you take a picture of your rear axle set up? The RK correction wedges used to be ~$20, and a Daystar 3/4" entire set of pucks is $35 on Amazon. Those two combined probably re-gain an inch of lift for what it's worth.