Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Gas Tank Skid

Old 07-05-2018, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Gas Tank Skid

I'm looking at replacing the factory gas tank skid. Mine is rusting and I want to save some weight by going to aluminum. Does anybody have a recommendation for a replacement skid? I'm doing some googling and most just cover up the factory skid, which neither removes my rust formation or saves any weight. The closest I have found is by Rock Hard, but they highly recommend not removing the factory skid. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mine was in a similar boat and I ended up banging it out, grinding out the rust, re-welding certain spots, and recreating a mounting nut for one of the bolts that holds it up. There aren't a lot of good options out there because the factory does a decent job, though they could have done a little more engineering on preventing rust by doing drain holes in a couple of selective spots.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

The factory "skid" is actually what holds the gas tank up. All aftermarket skids that I'm aware of just go right over the factory. It wouldn't be advisable to remove that completely. Just clean it up, paint it to protect from rust, and slap something over it. Oddly enough, the Rubicon Express skid isn't too bad, and is one of the cheapest out there. I removed that factory skid to hammer it back to flat prior to installing my Rock Hard skid system. What a pain in the ass.....but it was so bad it was necessary.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to replace mine as well but after looking at it and deciding that it's so thin and probably doesn't weigh much it just wasn't worth the effort. I went with the Rubicon Express version, good fit and as thick as I will need.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

This is the current state of my gas tank "skid":

At this point the tank is sandwiched between the "skid" and body, and the tank itself is crunched a bit. Going to have a fun weekend dropping the tank and beating the skid flat with a sledge hammer .

I'm going to run a Rough Country (wow, can't believe I'm saying that) gas tank skid over the stock tin can of a skid. It's $10 cheaper than the Rubicon Express skid and is built exactly the same (3/16" plate). Don't think you can go wrong with either though. $140-150 is a great price. No idea how Rock Hard and Synergy get off charging what they do...but 3/16" is plenty of beef.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by BoraBora
At this point the tank is sandwiched between the "skid" and body, and the tank itself is crunched a bit. Going to have a fun weekend dropping the tank and beating the skid flat with a sledge hammer .

I'm going to run a Rough Country (wow, can't believe I'm saying that) gas tank skid over the stock tin can of a skid. It's $10 cheaper than the Rubicon Express skid and is built exactly the same (3/16" plate). Don't think you can go wrong with either though. $140-150 is a great price. No idea how Rock Hard and Synergy get off charging what they do...but 3/16" is plenty of beef.
That is about what my factory gas skid looked like. "skid" is a pretty loose term when referring to the factory one. Some people don't mind dropping it to bang it flat, but I thought it was a major PITA. I spent more time trying to keep the tank itself hanging via some ratchet straps. Don't bother wasting your time with that effort. Just drop the hole thing and be mindful of the clips at the fuel line.

Totally agree on the skid. 3/16" is 3/16" there....it's all the same....and it will all dent to some extent. I’ve also no clue how some can get way charging so much. I will say, I also just had to cut big corner off my RH skid….back on the rear on the inside. 1350 DS had huge clearance issue. That RH skid comes down and is bent at a 90* angle. It’s amazing how much clearance you lose with that over how the factory bends, or where the RC and RE skids stop. It’s not like it really adds additional protection. The cheaper skids still bolt up to the same notch back there.

(cardboard is just blocking the sun for the photo)

Last edited by resharp001; 07-06-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OEM gas tank skid (bracket) is thin but designed by FCA to pass safety crash standards. IMO if the OEM gas tank skid is that rusty or deformed replace it then protect it with an aftermarket skid.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AggreX
The OEM gas tank skid (bracket) is thin but designed by FCA to pass safety crash standards. IMO if the OEM gas tank skid is that rusty or deformed replace it then protect it with an aftermarket skid.
Meh, it's just covered in mud. 4 pound sledge on a Sunday morning will do the same job for free.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

LOL, no body in their right mind is going to replace the factory skid to the tune of $500+. Gimme a break man.........
Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poly Performance sells a gas tank skid plate that replaces the factory but most others do require the factory one to remain in place since it holds the tank up.

In my case, I ran the factory one for 10 years and its at the point where I am losing volume in the tank so I searched for a while and found one in decent shape on car-part. I didnt want to pay 400+ that the OEM unit costs

Quick Reply: Replacement Gas Tank Skid