Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Gas Tank Skid

Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Poly Performance sells a gas tank skid plate that replaces the factory but most others do require the factory one to remain in place since it holds the tank up.

In my case, I ran the factory one for 10 years and its at the point where I am losing volume in the tank so I searched for a while and found one in decent shape on car-part. I didnt want to pay 400+ that the OEM unit costs
I'm approaching this same condition. My 22 gallon tank takes just short of 17 gallons at this point.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I'm approaching this same condition. My 22 gallon tank takes just short of 17 gallons at this point.
Yep, same here. When I "fill up" at the gas station, the needle on my gauge is 2 ticks less than full. I'm more worried bout my tank at the moment. I can visibly see where it's crushed up. Wish I had free time to drop the "skid" sooner to relieve the pressure.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Rugged Ridge over my JKU OE several years ago. Its a 2 piece so easier to install and inexpensive compared to most other skids.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, no body in their right mind is going to replace the factory skid to the tune of $500+. Gimme a break man.........
Instead of creating a new thread I felt like necroing off this one. See photos for ugliness.

@resharp001 You'd think no one in their right mind would do so. I seem to have to do so and wanted some input before I go spending nearly $1000 on this project.

The input I would like is should I just band-aid it with a Rubicon Express skid? Hell the RE skid may not even work since the skid plate mount tore out completely. There's no way I can have someone weld in something to provide the mount bolt support. If I cheap it an try to use the RE plate, is it okay to run the JK without the factory transfer case plate? You know how much of nance I can be Resharp when it comes to off-roading!

I'm not sure how much longer I will keep this JK. I keep waffling on selling it to get something else, but I am happy with not owing any money on such a well-running machine. It lacks a lot of functionality for me and my wife in regards to going camping. I found a Clayton off-road replacement skid for about $560. It looks like I would need to replace the transfer case skid too with Clayton to the tune of an extra $400, or just skip transfer case skid altogether. Me being me, if I drop the fuel tank might as well change the whole fuel pump assembly too.

Skid plate arm

Factory skid plate attachment

Pennsylvania road yuck

Pennsylvania again

-facepalm-
Old 06-13-2023, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with my factory gas tank skid rusting, and I understand your desire to find a replacement that not only addresses the rust but also saves weight. In my experience, I found a great solution with the aluminum gas tank skid from A Chick and a Windshield in Colorado Springs. Their skid not only provided the durability I needed but also significantly reduced the weight compared to the factory skid. You can check out their website<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://achickandawindshield.com/ for more information and explore their range of skid options. I highly recommend their products for a reliable and lightweight solution.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

I just spray the hell out of mine occassionally on top of the skid plate tank holder. Oil or Rust Check in aerosol can sits in there and protects. Mine is now 14 years old and Calagary is not as salty as the east but I think I need to replace this Jeep in the next 3-4 years. Then I need to do another conversion this time a 6.2LT/10 speed auto.
Pity someone did not pull a mould off the factory plate and make a glass product.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 06-14-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jamjam456
I had a similar issue with my factory gas tank skid rusting, and I understand your desire to find a replacement that not only addresses the rust but also saves weight. In my experience, I found a great solution with the aluminum gas tank skid from A Chick and a Windshield in Colorado Springs. Their skid not only provided the durability I needed but also significantly reduced the weight compared to the factory skid. You can check out their website<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://achickandawindshield.com/ for more information and explore their range of skid options. I highly recommend their products for a reliable and lightweight solution.
I sent them an email, and plan on stopping by their spot near my home today. Thank you for the information. That website doesn't say much about anything other than windshield repairs. Hoping you're not a bot and out phising.

Last edited by Seizer; 06-14-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I just spray the hell out of mine occassionally on top of the skid plate tank holder. Oil or Rust Check in aerosol can sits in there and protects. Mine is now 14 years old and Calagary is not as salty as the east but I think I need to replace this Jeep in the next 3-4 years. Then I need to do another conversion this time a 6.2LT/10 speed auto.
Pity someone did not pull a mould off the factory plate and make a glass product.
If I had been proactive enough that might have been a good solution. I did talk with Clayton Off Road today and customer support said they also make a $20 bracket to work with their fuel skid to attach the factory transfer case skid. If JamJams suggestion doesn't work out I will probably go this route and change the fuel pump assembly while I am at it.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a similar issue with my gas tank skid plate.
One of the support straps that's part of the skid plate is nearly gone.

I had it checked out and it's "ok" for now, but I was told to plan on replacing it soon.

I found new ones for about $400, but I might give welding it a shot since I'm trying to teach myself to stick weld and I have a decent ac/dc welder...
But for now, I'm going to enjoy the jeep this summer, and plan on doing something about it this winter.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JFish'n
I have a similar issue with my gas tank skid plate.
One of the support straps that's part of the skid plate is nearly gone.

I had it checked out and it's "ok" for now, but I was told to plan on replacing it soon.

I found new ones for about $400, but I might give welding it a shot since I'm trying to teach myself to stick weld and I have a decent ac/dc welder...
But for now, I'm going to enjoy the jeep this summer, and plan on doing something about it this winter.
I definitely am not a welder. My buddy has a mig welder that he would let me use. From my limited understanding of welding though I thought you had to cut out most of the rusted/corroded material away to even get a decent weld to stick to any new material you are scab patching. To even try this for me is still pulling off the skid. If I am pulling it and the gas tank, I am not going to patch it. Might as well replace the whole thing.

Quick Reply: Replacement Gas Tank Skid