Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review - Superchips F5 Flashpaq 3874

Old 06-27-2016, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review - Superchips F5 Flashpaq 3874

Picked one of these up over the weekend and figured I'd post a review in case anyone was looking at buying one and was on the fence. I found a lot of information online on the 3872 but not much on this newer tuner.

I never had the 3872 predecessor so I'm not really sure of the differences between the two. This one is supposed to have a better screen & graphics, more memory, & a faster processor for quicker tuning. I'm sure most or all of you know what this tuner does so I'm not going to go into everything you can tweak with it. I bought mine so I could have something on hand for tire & gear changes and then figured I'd check out the tunes to see what kind of mileage and/or horsepower gains it provided. I have a manual so I knew I was not going to benefit as much as someone with an automatic being that I could not adjust the shift points. From what I hear this is a pretty big benefit when you have an automatic trans.

I pulled it out of the box and read through the instructions. First thing they recommend that you do is get online to make sure you have the most recent updates. Mine did need to download some files so I went ahead and did that. Another thing to note is you need to make sure everything is turned off and close your doors. I would also recommend that you keep the unit still when it's doing it's thing because it seems like the ECU connection is a little touchy. First thing I did was correct my tire size and gear ratio. After that I went into the tune menu. You have tunes for crawl, mileage, towing, and then 3 performance tunes for 87, 91, & 93 octane. I chose the 87 tune simply because I just filled up with 87.

Took about 5 minutes or so to install the tune and it runs you through what you need to do very easily as far as when to turn the truck off and on and so forth. Once it was finished I disconnected the flashpaq and started the truck. Fired right up with no issues. Now...one of the things I was really hoping for was a better throttle response. Normally there was a slight lag when you start to get on the gas and an uneven throttle response overall which got better as the RPM's got higher. I have to say that I am pretty happy with the change. Now the throttle response is immediate and very even. I also noticed that before the tune when you needed to downshift if you stepped on the gas without downshifting you really didn't go anywhere. Now if you are rolling in the lower RPM range the throttle is much better and more usable. Superchips also claims horsepower and torque gains. I can honestly tell you that I could feel that it had a little more power, which was a good thing, but nothing mind blowing so don't expect that. I'm not sure about mileage gains yet because I'm still tracking this tank of gas but I have heard of a mile or two better gas mileage per gallon. We'll see but now that the truck runs better you kind of want to run it harder which is counterproductive for the mileage lol.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the it. Would I buy one again after trying it out....absolutely, simply for the improvement in throttle response. If anyone has any specific questions just ask.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love to see some updates later.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon
Love to see some updates later.
I was averaging just at or under 15 miles per gallon in the city. When I installed the flashpaq I had just filled up but I did drive some on the tank of gas before I installed it. This morning I filled up again and got 242 miles on 14.71 gallons which equates to 16.45 miles per gallon and I have not been easy on the gas pedal at all. Be nice to see 17 miles per gallon average but we'll see. Actually filled up with 93 today to try that tune.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What year is your jeep? I was considering this for my wife's '16, but it appears you have to send the ECM in to be unlocked for it to do tuning on the '16. Probably just purchase the flashcal instead as that's what I initially looked at.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
What year is your jeep? I was considering this for my wife's '16, but it appears you have to send the ECM in to be unlocked for it to do tuning on the '16. Probably just purchase the flashcal instead as that's what I initially looked at.
Mine is an 07'.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Is that the the case for 15s as well ?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure. I used the 'configure your vehicle' application on the superchips website which brought me to the products available for the 2016 and that included a note that the programmer version required an ECM flash for it to work.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon
Is that the the case for 15s as well ?
It,s a different part number for the 15/16 model year, the 3876.

F5 Jeep Flashpaq 2015 and 2016 3876

***FREE JEEP GRAB HANDLES WITH PURCHASE***

At Superchips, we don't just get it, we live it. The Jeep Flashpaq (part no. 3876) is designed for your 2015/2016 4x4 and packed with off-road specific features exclusive to Superchips. Flashpaq for Jeep is the number one tuning solution for Jeeps. Our tunes include multiple street- and trail-proven performance levels developed on the streets of Florida all the way out to legendary trails of Moab, Utah; make sure you give our Crawl tune a try! This various altitude testing guarantees optimal performance, regardless of geographic location. You'll find lots of pretenders out there making big claims and false promises. We pioneered Jeep tuning in 2009 and you can rest assured we're keeping the pretenders in our rear view and providing you with Jeep tuning built to contend for the long haul!

***This product requires an ECM swap in order to tune your Jeep***

ECM Swap Options:

Option 1: Cross-ship ECM swap (subject to availability of ECMs)

After your stock files have been read with the 3876 Flashpaq and then saved into the Ignition update software, Superchips will send you an unlocked ECM and provide a return shipper label to send back your stock ECM.

Option 2: Send in your factory ECM to be unlocked

This free service will be available to you anytime. Once we receive your stock ECM, we will quickly unlock it and get it back to you so you can tune with your Flashpaq.

CHECK OUT THIS QUICK INSTALL GUIDE FOR MORE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTION

** This product has not been tested or validated on right hand drive Jeep applications or imported (non-American VIN based)Jeep applications. They are not supported by this product.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Man that sucks you have to do an ECM swap with the 15 & 16's...especially if your Jeep is your daily driver.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM
RnR
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WylieJK
Man that sucks you have to do an ECM swap with the 15 & 16's...especially if your Jeep is your daily driver.
I just talked to a sales rep there, I have a 2016 JK and he said they'll send an unlocked ecm and you'll send yours back after you re-install the swap. He also said you can order the flashcal and upgrade it to a flashpaq via download later if you want, again you would need to change the ecm. The cal adjusts tire size, gear ratio and a few other items. The flashpaq allows you to adjust octane and driving situation. He did say most people see 1-2 more MPG with the upgrade.

Here is a number for their sale department if anyone else is on the fence. 888-227-2447

Quick Reply: Review - Superchips F5 Flashpaq 3874