JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rhino Liner (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rhino-liner-386/)

eodguy789 10-23-2006 09:59 PM

Rhino Liner

Has anyone taken the carpet out of their JK yet? I used to keep it out of my 97 TJ about 3/4 of the time (it never went in the same after I removed it) and wonder if it removes easily in the JK. If I do get it out I was thinking about getting a spray-in liner like Rhino or Line-x. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it provide sound/heat dampininng? Is it too heavy? Does it look good? Is it worth the cost to protect the interior metal (my TJ floorboard paint wore off from the carpet rubbing).

If spray-in liners are not good I was thinking about Husky Liners v/s factory mats... has anyone bought the ones for the JK? Do they fit well?

crwood1 10-24-2006 03:25 AM

Jeeping and carpet do not mix

I've been in jeeps since 1983 and will assure you that carpet and jeeping do not mix, the result being RUST...yesterday I went to my dealer (I have a Rubicon Unlimited on order) and specifically looked at the carpet and got under to see where the drain holes were located...it appears the carpet will be a problem to remove and replace, in my opinion it is best removed and left out, I've used chipguard coating in all my others...I found six drains (there may be more) about 2.5"x1" with plugs similar to what Jeep has always used...several appeared not to be located at low points in the floor...if you ford 30" of water hope it will drain fast...it appears someone at Jeep was aware of the problem but trying to mix production for 2 wheelers and off-roaders causes a bind...GET RID OF THE CARPET!!!

Ge99ne 10-24-2006 05:25 AM

I agree with the pulling it out comment, but I tend to do that when I do soak it. A little time hanging outside & it's dry & ready to go back in. I like having carpet when I'm daily driving my Jeep. This stuff is so sculpted it's gonna be hard to do though.
I think the carpet is bonded to the little door on the floor too. Maybe a diamond plate one will show up for the aftermarket.

wayoflife 10-24-2006 05:36 AM

Personally, I like keeping the factory carpet in especially since it has the heat shielding attached to it in key spots. Granted, I live in SoCal and we don't get the kind of rain, mudding or water crossings that a lot of you other guys see. Mostly desert and dry sharp rocks out here. Having said that, I have sprayed in my own Herculiner in my CJ and like the results a lot. If this were something you were seriously considering, I would highly recommend it. Just make sure to apply the UV top coat to it or else it will fade. As far as sound dampening or heat absorbtion goes, it is only minimal at best and certainly nothing as good as the carpeting.

clifford901 10-24-2006 11:03 AM

Bed liner

If you do remove the carpet and spray the floor use the good stuff. Spend the extra money and avoid the auto store brands they all suck. Line-X is better looking but rhino is thicker and more durable.:yup:

Massvet 10-25-2006 08:20 PM

I want to rhino liner my bumpers and mirror covers.

wayoflife 10-25-2006 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by clifford901 (Post 2373)
If you do remove the carpet and spray the floor use the good stuff. Spend the extra money and avoid the auto store brands they all suck. Line-X is better looking but rhino is thicker and more durable.:yup:

Actually, I would have to disagree with this statement. I've sprayed Herculiner in my CJ's tub and in my opinion, it looks every bit as good as tubs I've seen Line-Xed.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/herculiner/herc02.jpg

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/herculiner/herc01.jpg

The trick is in the prep work and in how you apply it. If you roll it on, it'll look like crap. :)

wayoflife 10-25-2006 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Massvet (Post 2579)
I want to rhino liner my bumpers and mirror covers.

Oh man, don't do it. Mud, bugs, dust and crap will stick to it and make it look pretty bad in no time at all. Trust me, I've seen it done.

Massvet 10-25-2006 08:45 PM

thanks for the heads up, I would have done this too..!!!1

And to think my girlfriend made me promise not to join any kind of forum after getting my JK because of my last auto addiction. I would have never known!

wayoflife 10-25-2006 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Massvet (Post 2587)
And to think my girlfriend made me promise not to join any kind of forum after getting my JK because of my last auto addiction. I would have never known!

:LOL: Believe me, the Jeep addiction is about as bad as it gets. There's just so much you can do to it and there's such a huge competitive aftermarket industry out there eager to feed the habbit :crazyeyes: