JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Ripp Transmission Cooler Bypass Question (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ripp-transmission-cooler-bypass-question-342951/)

Friday2322 07-13-2017 07:08 AM

Ripp Transmission Cooler Bypass Question

After getting the transmission fluid temperature warning light on one of my off road trips I decided to get an aftermarket transmission cooler. I went with the Ripp brand cooler and after getting it and reading the instructions it says to bypass the stock transmission cooler that goes through the radiator. I've read what seems like a million of the threads on here and don't believe I have seen anyone mention bypassing the factory one when installing an aftermarket cooler.

Do I follow the instructions and bypass the factory cooler or do I route the Ripp one in after the fluid has already went through the factory cooler and just leave them both connected? I would like to hear some input on this one.

:dontknow2:

ronjenx 07-13-2017 12:52 PM

That recommendation may be a generic one, as some vehicles still "cool" the transmission fluid in the radiator. The JK does not. It has a small, separate cooler at the bottom of the A/C condenser.

People generally plumb the aux cooler in line after the factory cooler, on the fluid's way back to the transmission.
The MOPAR aux cooler does this, too.

Call RIPP and see if there is a good reason to bypass the cooler on the JK.

Shelby73 07-13-2017 02:21 PM

Cooler

1 Attachment(s)
I've found that the RIPP cooler isn't adequate enough. Also have 5:38 gears and 37's. I'm actually in the same boat and just bought the Derale 13870 stand alone cooler. It's a monster and looks like it can cool Las Vegas. Have a Trans Flush scheduled for tomorrow and will let you know the end results.
Attachment 673276

caryt 07-14-2017 03:20 AM

Get the biggest stacked plate cooler you can fit ..the stock trans cooler is small so I'd just remove it and plumb the new cooler direct.

Tube and fin coolers with or without fans are not very good at removing heat.

Shelby73 07-14-2017 03:40 AM

Cool

I agree completely the Derale 13870 is the best remote cooler Derale makes and is a stack plate cooler with 10" fan installed it just behind rear axle on floor pan near gas tank between rear shocks

Friday2322 07-14-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shelby73 (Post 4298268)
I agree completely the Derale 13870 is the best remote cooler Derale makes and is a stack plate cooler with 10" fan installed it just behind rear axle on floor pan near gas tank between rear shocks

I've read about several people mounting the remote cooler, I just don't know if I'm up for routing new lines. I will read up on that kit also. After I install mine I was headed in for a radiator and transmission flush on mine so I will be curious if I ever get the warning light again with the addition of just the Ripp cooler.