JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Ripp vs LS? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ripp-vs-ls-340988/)

Ryan0260 03-15-2017 05:33 AM

Yeah if I was going to do a V8 swap, I would definitely do the 6.0 over the 5 3.

numbah1 03-15-2017 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by jchappies (Post 4283208)
Robbie doesn't have an issue, it's california DMV and the referee stations

Move out of Cali.

I've lived in San Diego (Point Loma area) and thankfully never had to worry about smog testing on my vehicles (my registration is still in FL). If it bothers you enough find a new home elsewhere and never have to worry about it any longer.

To answer your question though, if I could afford a Motech LS swap it would be done already. I met Robbie back in NOV 2015 (at his shop) and his work is definitely amazing. If you have the money and love your Jeep then it's money well spent.

jordy 03-15-2017 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jchappies (Post 4283210)
I guess my big question is it worth the extra 20K?
LS 5.3 lc9 is 300hp 345tq= 25K w\pymnts
Ripp is about 240hp, 260ish TQ= 5K no pymts

At the end of the day you're throwing more money at the root problem, being the 3.8. Good money after bad.

I'm guessing, based upon your pricing, that you're including a 6 speed GM transmission behind the LS, which is much better than the 3, I mean 4 speed that you have now. I say 3 as OD isn't used that much in mine.

I'm in the same boat and literally the only thing left to change on mine is the engine and transmission. I live with the 3.8 for now as I have other things to spend money on currently, but it's on my radar and will happen. For the time being, I know what to expect with the 3.8, like going slow up hills on the highway, not great mileage, but it gets from point A to point B. Would I put anything on it that is 20-25% of the price of the swap? Not a chance.

jchappies 03-15-2017 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by jedg (Post 4283221)
This simplifies it a bit too much.

The biggest difference you will feel is because of the transmission. The LS uses a 6L80E while the RIPP SC you're still using the Jeep 42RLE transmission which absolutely sucks.

I have a 2011 w/ automatic. I put a RIPP SC in when the rig was a year old. The SC gave me great power and the RIPP folks were awesome to work with. Unfortunately, RIPP can't do much about a terrible transmission that can't find a gear to be in to save itself.

I had MoTech put an L96 (6.0L) and 6L80E in my rig in 2015. Obviously the extra hp and torque was felt, but the overwhelming difference is the 6-speed transmission. THAT is what makes this conversion so great.

What gearing did you have with the Ripp? And what size tires?

jchappies 03-15-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by numbah1 (Post 4283253)
Move out of Cali.

I've lived in San Diego (Point Loma area) and thankfully never had to worry about smog testing on my vehicles (my registration is still in FL). If it bothers you enough find a new home elsewhere and never have to worry about it any longer.

To answer your question though, if I could afford a Motech LS swap it would be done already. I met Robbie back in NOV 2015 (at his shop) and his work is definitely amazing. If you have the money and love your Jeep then it's money well spent.

Moving is not an option at this point, I still have 12yrs before I retire then we're out. Trust me it's come up a lot too with this smog crap and my guns that 12yrs can't come fast enough.

jchappies 03-15-2017 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by jordy (Post 4283258)
At the end of the day you're throwing more money at the root problem, being the 3.8. Good money after bad.

I'm guessing, based upon your pricing, that you're including a 6 speed GM transmission behind the LS, which is much better than the 3, I mean 4 speed that you have now. I say 3 as OD isn't used that much in mine.

I'm in the same boat and literally the only thing left to change on mine is the engine and transmission. I live with the 3.8 for now as I have other things to spend money on currently, but it's on my radar and will happen. For the time being, I know what to expect with the 3.8, like going slow up hills on the highway, not great mileage, but it gets from point A to point B. Would I put anything on it that is 20-25% of the price of the swap? Not a chance.

The 25K would include motor and trans swap plus either a re-gear or move up to 37's to offset the gearing I have now. plus taxes and new t-case, rear drive shaft and front axle shafts and misc. stuff

jedg 03-15-2017 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jchappies (Post 4283262)
What gearing did you have with the Ripp? And what size tires?

4.10 gears and 33s that measured 32" mounted.

jchappies 03-15-2017 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan0260 (Post 4283248)
Yeah if I was going to do a V8 swap, I would definitely do the 6.0 over the 5 3.

If the 5.3 lc9 is not an option I would just move up to the gen v l83 5.3 which puts out more power than the 6.0 or very close to it. trying to stay away from the iron block.

jedg 03-15-2017 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jchappies (Post 4283271)
If the 5.3 lc9 is not an option I would just move up to the gen v l83 5.3 which puts out more power than the 6.0 or very close to it. trying to stay away from the iron block.

Depends on your intentions with the vehicle. I started with the thought of a 5.3. After discussions with Robbie, he recommended the L96 6.0 because of the VVT. I tow with my jeep often and he stated the L96 would do a better job of it than the 5.3. I've been very happy with the rig. I run 4.88 gears now with 37s (measure 35.5) and turn 2000rpm at 70mph. I was concerned about weight, but I get 3" of measured lift from RK 3.5" progressive springs.

That said, ANY of the engines will be great because it's really that transmission that's making the real difference.

jordy 03-15-2017 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by jchappies (Post 4283268)
The 25K would include motor and trans swap plus either a re-gear or move up to 37's to offset the gearing I have now. plus taxes and new t-case, rear drive shaft and front axle shafts and misc. stuff

So you either essentially have all new running gear and something reliable for less than the cost of a new Jeep, or you throw $5K at something that keeps the problem there, and actually makes it worse as you're running beyond the parameters of what it was designed for? I'm going to sit here patiently and wait for the people who don't think that adding boost to a platform that wasn't designed for it doesn't limit the lifespan of that platform. :doh:

That's an easy decision from the cheap seats. Then again, it's always fun spending other people's money. Seriously though, it wouldn't be a hard decision for me. Like I said, the only thing left to do on mine is get rid of the 4 speed auto and the 3.8. I live in Phoenix and chose to throw all my money at putting in a pool instead. I'll live with the 3.8 for a little while longer as it still serves a purpose. After that gives up the ghost, it's a 6.0 LS and a 6 speed.