JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rock Hard Rear Bumper (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rock-hard-rear-bumper-83755/)

RSO2415 04-28-2009 08:02 AM

Rock Hard Rear Bumper

FYI, I have the Rock Hard bumper/tire carrier and the rattles are driving me insane. I have tried numerous times to contact Rock Hard but I have been unsuccessful. I just wanted to let everyone know that this bumper appears to be a quality product but there are some issues with it. If anyone has some suggestions on what to do, please let me know.

Northridge4x4 04-28-2009 08:22 AM

If your rockhard tire carrier rattles I am sorry to say you installed it wrong. I have 4 of these tire carriers on our vehicles here at the shop and there is no rattles at all.

The latch is a two stage latch is it catching on the second stage?

Also there is a adjustable bump stop is that tight against the bumper when it is closed?

David

wayoflife 04-28-2009 08:24 AM

odd, i have never heard of rockhard being a company that you cannot get a hold of by phone. also, did you install your bumper? if so, it is most likely installed incorrectly. if not, i would take it back to the shop that did the install and have them fix it.

ranwitscissorz 04-28-2009 08:52 AM

Mine rattles alot also, it looks like the rattle could be solved if the swing out fits snuggly against the top and bottom bumper. Unfortunately, on mine, the fitment was really bad and didn't even come close to the stock bolt mounts, let alone far enough back to ge tthe bumpers to reach the swing out. I called RockHard and they told me to BFH it, which I did, which helped me at least get the bolts into the holes, but not fix the rattle. I've just gotten used to it for the most part, until I decide to get something else.

Northridge4x4 04-28-2009 09:04 AM

Mine rattles alot also, it looks like the rattle could be solved if the swing out fits snuggly against the top and bottom bumper. Unfortunately, on mine, the fitment was really bad and didn't even come close to the stock bolt mounts, let alone far enough back to ge tthe bumpers to reach the swing out. I called RockHard and they told me to BFH it, which I did, which helped me at least get the bolts into the holes, but not fix the rattle. I've just gotten used to it for the most part, until I decide to get something else.
Can you post a picture of what you are describing. I am curious.

David

Biff Malibu 04-28-2009 09:28 AM

I have had the same bumper for over a year, and it looks like it is 30 years old. It rattles over every bump, and has since day one.

I'm not sure how I could have installed it wrong? The installation was simply enough.

jhagerman 04-28-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 1090022)
odd, i have never heard of rockhard being a company that you cannot get a hold of by phone. .

Not to disagree, but I had an issue with my front bumper, and got run around pretty good. They solved it on their end, but didn't resolve it on mine. I came up with a solution on my own eventually.

Northridge4x4 04-28-2009 09:36 AM

Ok well if you ordered your bumper from us and have a problem or it is rattling email me some pics of the install and we will get you taken care of.

We have a great relationship with Rockhard and will get this handled .

David

ranwitscissorz 04-28-2009 10:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The problem is that I could not get mine to go back any further, as you can see, my rubber bumps aren't touching the swing out cus the bumper will not go back any further (the one near the latch has rotted off twice). I think most of the rattle comes from the peg that the latch hooks onto. If you swing in and out alot, eventually the peg loosens and that causes the rattle. If you're bumps aren't touching, then that causes even more stress on the peg, loosening it up sooner.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...1&d=1240943690

Also another reason I was unhappy with the bumper was that the powder coat started flaking off within the first week and showed signs of rust almost instantly. When I called RockHard about it, they said they had a few bumpers that were powdercoated by a company they no longer use, but that I was pretty much SOL.

I bought mine from Quadratec and they just referred me to RockHard, so pretty much I was dead-ended unfortunately.

HarryHood1 04-28-2009 12:53 PM

i to have the rockhard bumper and it rattles like crazy , i just turn up the tunes till i cant hear it. I thought in the beginning it was the latch so called rockhard and they sent me out new bearings,seals and basically a whole new latch. Istalled it all again and rattles from the latch are still there. On a washboard road it pop out of the second part of the latch and just rattle in the 1st part. I have having a local 4x4 shop weld a better latch on

Northridge4x4 04-28-2009 01:26 PM

i to have the rockhard bumper and it rattles like crazy , i just turn up the tunes till i cant hear it. I thought in the beginning it was the latch so called rockhard and they sent me out new bearings,seals and basically a whole new latch. Istalled it all again and rattles from the latch are still there. On a washboard road it pop out of the second part of the latch and just rattle in the 1st part. I have having a local 4x4 shop weld a better latch on

This all is a bit wierd really. they are using the same latch they always have and we have not had any troubles at all with it. if the latch it popping out the swingaway is not aligned properly.

I will email rockhard this link and see what they have to say about all this.

David

seer1 04-28-2009 03:41 PM

How many washers did you put on the bottom of the swing away where it rides on the spindle? If you're riding with too many washers down there, the swing away won't sit on that rubber bumper beside the striker. That'll cause it to rattle like crazy.

chuck45 04-28-2009 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by RSO2415 (Post 1089978)
FYI, I have the Rock Hard bumper/tire carrier and the rattles are driving me insane. I have tried numerous times to contact Rock Hard but I have been unsuccessful. I just wanted to let everyone know that this bumper appears to be a quality product but there are some issues with it. If anyone has some suggestions on what to do, please let me know.

RH is as easy as any company to get a hold of. 90% of the time, Louie, the owner answers the phone. They're great people and make a great product.

I think you need to go over your install. Mine is quiet.

RocksHurt 04-30-2009 12:03 PM

Any updates? I was considering purchasing one of these as well.

Northridge4x4 04-30-2009 12:12 PM

Yeah spoke with James at rockhard and he would like anybody who is having a problem to call him directly and he will help you out.

David

ranwitscissorz 05-15-2009 11:37 AM

I wanted to post a followup in regards to the problem, James did help me with a solution to my rusting problem and has also sent some different bumpers to help with my clanking and will try this weekend to see if that resolvces my issue.

Thanks David for contacting James in regards to this and thanks to James for helping me out.

mefly2 06-04-2009 06:24 AM

The bumper materials and design are first quality; it was the ONLY bumper I could find built of 1/4 " instead of 3/16" steel. With any humanly-constructed product there will be variations in output but within specification. In my case, the variations added up to a swing arm that would not ride on the plastic block when closed... even with a stack of spacers on top of the spindle. No load on the rubbing block = a bit of noise on the trail from the mass of the tire / swing inevitably moving up and down a bit.

HOWEVER, the folks at RockHard have been great in offering possibile solutions ... to the point of FedExing to me a loaner die to shorten / re-thread the spindle! James has been attentive to every concern and I would rate these folks on a par with Dillon Precison for customer service. James has been available directly on the telephone and also returned calls promptly. In a word ... FANTASTIC service.

Buy the RockHard rear bumper/ swing and you will love it ... of course, that assumes that you will take the time to adjust it properly with appropriate pre-loads on the tire swiing ... both horizontally and vertically.

greenamphibious 06-04-2009 06:27 AM

How much did you get paid to type that?

mefly2 06-04-2009 06:47 AM

That's a cheap shot green-a;

I am in no way connected with Rock Hard ... just a jeep driver since the mid 1960's and a person who appreciates quality products with folks that stand behind them. The secret to any tire/swing or mechanical product is making certain that it is adjusted properly! That is why military aircraft spend so much time on the ground in maintenance. Heck, even my Rolex requires periodic adjustment and maintenance.

I feel that I can offer my experiences here just like the next person. I am now able to offer an opinion as well - earned that right finally, too, as I've made it over 60 years ... starting with USN aviator training and working up through law enforcement. Oh, yes ... I also spent a bit of time as a certified welder - teaching welding / auto shop and building wood stoves from initial design through delivery.
I do appreciate quality and customer service!!!

greenamphibious 06-04-2009 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by mefly2 (Post 1163058)
That's a cheap shot green-a; I am in no way connected with Rock Hard ... just a jeep driver since the mid 1960's and appreciate quality products with folks that stand behind them. The secret to any tire/swing or mechanical product is making certain that it is adjusted properly! That is why military aircraft spend so much time on the gropund in maintenance. I feel that I can offer my experiences just like the next person. After all I am now able to offer an opinion as well - I have made it over 60 years starting with USN aviator training and working up through law enforcement. Oh, yes ... I also spent a bit of time teaching welding and building wood stoves from initial design through delivery. I do appreciate quality and customer service!!!

:bleh: was just a joke man relax....

mefly2 06-04-2009 07:04 AM

:rotflmao2: OK ... Man ... :thumbsup:

chuck45 06-04-2009 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mefly2 (Post 1163015)
The bumper materials and design are first quality; it was the ONLY bumper I could find built of 1/4 " instead of 3/16" steel. With any humanly-constructed product there will be variations in output but within specification. In my case, the variations added up to a swing arm that would not ride on the plastic block when closed... even with a stack of spacers on top of the spindle. No load on the rubbing block = a bit of noise on the trail from the mass of the tire / swing inevitably moving up and down a bit.

HOWEVER, the folks at RockHard have been great in offering possibile solutions ... to the point of FedExing to me a loaner die to shorten / re-thread the spindle! James has been attentive to every concern and I would rate these folks on a par with Dillon Precison for customer service. James has been available directly on the telephone and also returned calls promptly. In a word ... FANTASTIC service.

Buy the RockHard rear bumper/ swing and you will love it ... of course, that assumes that you will take the time to adjust it properly with appropriate pre-loads on the tire swiing ... both horizontally and vertically.

I have to agree with you on RockHard; they make the stoutest stuff available. A lot of people may not get the reference to Dillon Precision but as a long time shooter and reloader and owner of a Dillon 1050 I can say that they are THE standard for exemplary, over the top, customer service. Comparing somebody favorably to Dillon is praise indeed.

As to the rear bumper I also have one (in addition to their full width front bumper, rocker gaurds, and tow of the three skids) and it a good unit. The fact that it woeks so well wih a simple car door type latch is a tribute to it's good design. I do agree with you in that it takes more care to adjust than those with over center style latches.

I have two of the swing away tire carriers. One is the stock one and the other is one I built myself (Lewis sold me just the bottom arm and pivot) to be able to carry four fuel cans on extended trips. The RH is the ONLY one I found with a stout enough pivot point (solid 1.25") that went thru the bumper and was braced bellow that I thought could carry the weight of four full gas cans and the tire and HiLift. Lewis said there was no market for an item like that but that the bumper and carrier could hold the weight - so I did it. I'd include a pic of what I did but I just cut part of it up as I came up with a better way to mount two of the cans.

There is enough difference that the number of shims needed for each is different but that is no big deal. For the person that had problems in that area you could also rasie the block by putting a spacer under it if needed.

As to customer service I was having an issue installing the TC/trans skid and called RH (I was misunderstanding something). Lewis was in CA but had calls forwarded to his cell. He expained what I needed to do but then he asked where I was. It turns out he was leaving CA, going to stop in Moab for a few days and then head back to Nebraska, but that he's pass within a few miles of where I lived. He said if I had any further probelems to give him a call back and he'd stop by my house and help me install it.

One further thing. All RH stuff is made in the USA, in St Paul Nebraska. When I spoke to him at EJS he said he was one of the largest employers in town. Quite frankly, when I have a choice, I'd rather give my money to a company that employees AMERICANS rather than have stuff built in China.

And no, they didn't pay me to write that either.

Biff Malibu 06-04-2009 01:55 PM

I think the quality of the bumper is fantastic, but I don't like the latch system. It doesn't matter how you shim it, there is nothing keeping the carrier from traveling upward over bumps and rattling on plastic block.

I believe a striker with a replaceable delrin cover, and a buckle type latch that would go from top to bottom, would make this bumper rattle free.

That being said, their customer service is excellent! They definitely are standing behind their products, and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.
(I wrote this for free)

chuck45 06-04-2009 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Biff Malibu (Post 1163981)
I think the quality of the bumper is fantastic, but I don't like the latch system. It doesn't matter how you shim it, there is nothing keeping the carrier from traveling upward over bumps and rattling on plastic block.

I believe a striker with a replaceable delrin cover, and a buckle type latch that would go from top to bottom, would make this bumper rattle free.

That being said, their customer service is excellent! They definitely are standing behind their products, and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.
(I wrote this for free)

It must be in the adjustment of it because mine doesn't rattle at all. I have a little positve tension down just as it closes so it is held against the plastic block. The system is the same double catch as as car doors but does take a littlemore effort to dial in. I like that I only have to trip one latch to open it. I would like to see them include more directions on getting it right as it is something that can't be dialed in at the factory but has to be done as part of he install.

Northridge4x4 06-04-2009 03:59 PM

The system is the same double catch as as car doors but does take a littlemore effort to dial in
I agree most people dont realize that it is a double latch and dont have it closed all the way.

I would like to see them include more directions on getting it right as it is something that can't be dialed in at the factory but has to be done as part of he install.
If there was one bad thing about rockhard it would have to be the instructions. or lack there of.

David

bobzinger 11-18-2009 08:55 AM

I think this thread has helped me in my decision for a RockHard bumper/carrier. Thanks everyone for your feedback and opinions. I will be referring to these posts should I run into any install issues.

Thanks!

Rubidonn 11-18-2009 10:51 AM

I've had my RockHard for 2.5 yrs now and initially it rattled just a hair... I put a little piece of rubber (bicycle tube) between the tire carrier and the plastic piece... Works great. The only complaint I would really have about the bumper is the powder coat finish (or the prep work prior). After about 14 mos of having it, the coating started to peel. Nothing impacted the bumper, it did this in many places. Never tried to call RockHard as I figured I was out of term on the warranty plus the hassle of trying to remedy the situation would be problematic I'm sure. I ended up taking it down to a local powder coater and they did a fine job. He said that they should have really tried to knock down the sharp edges all around the bumper because that is where the powder coat would have a hard time bonding. He said his powder coating would do the same thing if the edges weren't knocked down. So I had him go through and grind all the edges slightly to take off the sharpness. So far so good. Overall I do like the bumper and if given the chance to decide again on a rear bumper, I'd go with the same one - RockHard... Maybe the prep them better these days, but the initial ones didn't do so well... or maybe mine was an exception :dontknow2:

Castalone 02-26-2010 01:13 PM

Mine rattles. I adjusted the rubber bump stops out as far as I could and still close it. Haven't messed with shims though... Mine does rest on the plastic block... Any ideas would be great!

mefly2 03-26-2010 06:56 AM

So ... what did you do and how did it work out ...? My positive pressure / pre-load has lessened; so, I just glued a piece of plastic from a ski/boot plate onto the bottom of the tire swing arm ... still works rattle-free and now there is no wear on the powder coating from rubbing against the plastic block.

CM5280 05-13-2010 01:05 PM

Rock Hard Bumper/Tire Carrier Experience

Hello All,

I have to tell you about my experience installing this bumper/tire carrier....

The bumper went on very easily, then I started putting on the tire carrier. I followed the directions carefully and installed the spacer and three shims on the bottom and installed the rest on top. The aluminum cap was not easy to install, and I resorted to using a large pipe wrench (using Velcro to protect the hex top the best I could) to wrench it down so that the carrier didn't move up and down on the spindle.

The other issue I ran up against was installing the wheel lugs - I didn't know I was going to have to hammer them in! That took a while to accomplish between hammering and torquing them down so the splines went all the way through. My suggestion to others is to cut out some of the cardboard from the box and tape it around the carrier to minimize errant hammer blows onto the powder coating.

Well, I immediately noticed that the bottom of the carrier did not sit on the plastic block as it should even when I applied a lot of downward pressure. I then removed the cap and removed all the bottom shims. It still didn't sit on the plastic block. I continued on and installed my 35" spare hoping that it would help - it did not... The whole thing rattled like crazy and I was very concerned about wear and tear.

I called Rock Hard 4x4 last Friday and explained my problem that the carrier was at least 1/16" off from the plastic block with no shims on bottom with my 35" spare installed. Louie stated that he'd send me some parts so I gave him my home address.

I received a whole new tire carrier assembly today!!! I was surprised to say the least as I was expected a smaller spacer or larger plastic block. I immediately put the new assembly on and wouldn't ya know, it fits perfectly. It sits about 1/16" below the plastic block when open and sits right on it when closed. I took my Jeep out for a spin looking for big bumps - no rattles!

I called Rock Hard back and explained that the new carrier fits perfectly and praised them for their excellent customer service. I asked them if I should send back the original carrier and James (I think) explained that he thought when it was welded together, it must not have been clamped down properly, which caused is to be out-of-spec. He told me to destroy it so that it doesn't get back on the market.

I'm a very satisfied Rock Hard 4x4 customer as of today and will provide follow-up posts as to the potential powder coating/rust issue in a few months. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PainKiller 08-15-2010 02:27 AM

Just finished "semi "installing the rockhard rear bumper and tire carrier. i had to spray the Jeep frame with silicone spray and the inside of the bumper to get it to slide on, then the 2 center bolts wouldn't line up so i had to drill out the frame where the bolts go through into the bumper and only got one to go in. took the bumper back off again and ran both bolts in to center holes because i figured there might be powder coating in them. reinstalled the bumper and still only got one to thread in. the muffler is a PITA to work around ! ! finished bolting the rest of the bumper up and then one of the inside frame mount bolts wouldn't go, so it's into the A.M. hours and i will try a longer bolt tomorrow when i go to the hardware store.mine isn't setting on the plastic bottom plate either so i am calling rockhard monday morning so i can tell them my situation and possible fix. the bumper is nice and heavy duty and well built........might just be that the 2010 models have a little bit different bolt pattern for the center bolts ?

Crasher 08-15-2010 06:10 AM

For the other center bolt, taper the end of the bolt with a grinder. Be sure and spin a nut on first, so the threads are reformed when the nut is spun off over the tapered end. It should then start into the hole and pull right in. I had to do that along with others.

PainKiller 08-15-2010 01:28 PM

Thanks Crasher, I will give it a try and post up :thumbsup:

mefly2 12-14-2018 12:28 PM

Rock Hard JK bumper / tire swing Update: 9 years later

About 9 - going on ten - years ago I purchased a Rock Hard rear bumper with tire swing. The swing arm had likely shifted in the jig while it was being welded together at Rock Hard because I never could achieve "perfect" alignment. I called and talked to Lewie and James and we came up with several different possible interim solutions without having to send the tire swing back to them. RH was always going to send out a new tire swing, but ... I got it quieted down (never quire silenced completely) and life moved on...three sets of wheels and two sets of tires on Montana jeeping roads. It has been a great bumper / tire swing and is now ready to be removed and welded locally to try and get everything "squared up" and refinished. Would I buy it again? ABSOLUTELY !!!
The powder coating started to corrode along the top edge after about a year and a half - but it has not gotten progressively worse; in fact, the side slider bars under the doors and the jeep 's frame look much more corroded than does the rear bumper / swing assembly. It is mostly due to the chemicals which they spray on the roads to de-ice them in the winter. The bumper has proven its worth for an extended period of time now - as I imagine that we purchased one of the first units that they shipped out for a JK series Wrangler.
More to the point of this update ... the folks at Rock Hard have been super at every turn when I have called for advice or assistance. Due to the swing arm geometry being off just a bit, the assembly has "eaten" many of the rubber bumper stops both at the tailgate and the lower bumper, itself. The bumper / tire swing has a lifetime warranty and I am here to tell you that Rock Hard has supplied me with a number of rubber bump stops at no charge. Once, I was billed for them; but then when I called needing more rubber bump stops, Jason told me that I should have never had to pay for them previously - and he sent out another set of rubber bump stops and a refund for the previous charges!
That kind of warranty support is something that you rarely see in this day and age ... especially AFTER 9 years! Thank you Jason and the folks at Rock Hard for superior customer care !!!

jordy 12-16-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by mefly2 (Post 4332685)
About 9 - going on ten - years ago...

So about the same time this thread originally started? :cool: