JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rock Hard Skid (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rock-hard-skid-275786/)

idiotec 05-23-2013 04:44 PM

Rock Hard Skid

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone know if the oil drain opening recently changed on these? Here is mine, which looks different that the pics I see online. It's strange to me that they left this bolt wide open while the others are protected. Any thoughts?

Attachment 460928

Attachment 460929

spinuck 05-23-2013 05:15 PM

I have the newer design too, thought it was strange when I saw it. I'm surprised they didn't make it where they could put one of the tapered washers on that bolt, since they seem to really use those washers as a selling point. See you at Slick Rock in June. :)

idiotec 05-23-2013 07:33 PM

I am really thinking I might make it :). Might rip the exhaust loop and evap off but at least ill have my oil and tranny pan safe :D

I might give them a call and see if one can be added. I kind of get it since that bolt doesn't actually secure the skid but still...

dahreno 05-23-2013 09:17 PM

That's wierd , I might just remove the bolt and door . Alot of other skids just have an opening there .

RodCyn 05-23-2013 10:02 PM

I have the same thing. Mine is the long arm skid. I was thinking of re-doing the door and make the latch tab flush and counter-sink the bolt.

mook8651 05-23-2013 10:37 PM

I have the old design an mine open so guess it doesn't matter if you have it it not cause the chance of something hitting the drain bolt would be pretty slim

JIMBOX 05-24-2013 05:10 AM

:cool: Mine is super protected and it has to be-

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...T0201-Copy.jpg

I use a FUMOTO valve and protection is necessary !

:rotflmao2::ya: JIMBO

Oside49er 05-24-2013 05:23 AM

Mine just has a open hole there, old design. I am suprised they did not protect that bolt since they already did it other places.

Rubi_Matador 05-24-2013 07:53 AM

Yes its the new design. I talked to the owner about is a month ago after I bought a set of used skids for my 2012. Apparently, Chrysler shifted the drain bolt over a bit so it no doesn't line up with the old plate. As a solution, Rock Hard just decided to do away with the old design and just go with a removable door flap that would work on all the JKs. He actually said that the oil pan has changed slightly throughout the years but never to the amount on a 2012+.

idiotec 05-24-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rubi_Matador (Post 3564536)
Yes its the new design. I talked to the owner about is a month ago after I bought a set of used skids for my 2012. Apparently, Chrysler shifted the drain bolt over a bit so it no doesn't line up with the old plate. As a solution, Rock Hard just decided to do away with the old design and just go with a removable door flap that would work on all the JKs. He actually said that the oil pan has changed slightly throughout the years but never to the amount on a 2012+.

Good info, thanks.

idiotec 05-24-2013 08:04 AM

I just shot them and email about adding one of the tapered bolt head protector to this bolt. We will see...

Edge Hawk 05-24-2013 08:30 AM

I wish I would have known before they were gonna change designs. I got mine about 2 months ago.

The hole does not line up well with the 2012 oilpan. I have to use the smallest ratchet to get the oil plug out. Anything bigger and the socket doesn't go on square and tries to strip the edge of the bolt.

Rubi_Matador 05-25-2013 04:10 AM

I bought a used set for a great price. Mounted them up and couldn't get the drain bolt to line up. I tried for hours until a buddy with an 09 stopped by and I checked his jeep. That's when I noticed the difference. He was thrilled to take them off my hands. I then called rock hard and talked to the owner and he confirmed it with me.

azsandrider 05-25-2013 05:07 PM

I have a Rockhard (RH) skid from my 2008 Rubicon that would not fit the 2012, so I got the 2012 plate with the different hole location. The other RH skids fit so I transferred them over. (I have to repaint the RH skid from the 2008 and sell it)

I can tell you the RH skids work REALLY well, as I have tested the on my 2008 Rubi that was stock height on the rocky Az trails. RH's customer service is excellent and often the owner (James) answer the phone himself.

My only complaint is the mess when changing the oil. The force of the oil squirts out over the the drain hole on the plate and runs all over out the sides of the plate. The next time I change oil I'm either going to take the plate down to modify it or look into a drain valve with a 90* bend. My model RH skid is NOT the one shown with a little door plate so I don't know if that will work better when changing the oil. I don't like the bolt head being exposed as that will catch on rocks. A rock washer the RH sells will help, but I have scraped then so hard that I could get to the bolt head to remove the skid plate without a grinder.

JIMBOX 05-25-2013 05:29 PM

:cool: Read post #7

Originally Posted by azsandrider (Post 3565898)
I have a Rockhard (RH) skid from my 2008 Rubicon that would not fit the 2012, so I got the 2012 plate with the different hole location. The other RH skids fit so I transferred them over. (I have to repaint the RH skid from the 2008 and sell it)

I can tell you the RH skids work REALLY well, as I have tested the on my 2008 Rubi that was stock height on the rocky Az trails. RH's customer service is excellent and often the owner (James) answer the phone himself.

My only complaint is the mess when changing the oil. The force of the oil squirts out over the the drain hole on the plate and runs all over out the sides of the plate. The next time I change oil I'm either going to take the plate down to modify it or look into a drain valve with a 90* bend. My model RH skid is NOT the one shown with a little door plate so I don't know if that will work better when changing the oil. I don't like the bolt head being exposed as that will catch on rocks. A rock washer the RH sells will help, but I have scraped then so hard that I could get to the bolt head to remove the skid plate without a grinder.

azsandrider 05-25-2013 06:21 PM

Considering the valve but not sure how well its protected.

Photos?

JIMBOX 05-26-2013 05:27 AM

:cool: Photo #7

Originally Posted by azsandrider (Post 3565962)
Considering the valve but not sure how well its protected.

Photos?

I've used FUMOTO on my last three vehicles all 4x4s and all off road in the Sierras-Power Wagon/Xterra/Rubi--

I've never had an incident, always used an oilpan skid, but always carried the original OEM bolt/easyout-11 years-of use

Oil chamge is about 5 minutes (drain) using 1' of 3/8" hose--no oil spill, notta drop

idiotec 05-28-2013 05:49 PM

No email back from hard rock. Disappointing. Do they have a rep here?

idiotec 05-30-2013 12:24 PM

FYI, just got this email back:

The washers will not fit the access door. Keep checking on our site if I make one in the future we can send you to you.

James Barth
Rock Hard 4x4

308-750-4690

spinuck 05-30-2013 05:53 PM

they should've made the door mount flush with the skid where it bolts, then we could use the washers. Oh well, still seems like a good product to me.

sedwar13 05-31-2013 07:20 AM

I just picked one of these up for my 2011. No issues so far.

awesomo 06-03-2013 02:46 PM

Vibration/Rattle

Anyone have problems with this skid vibrating or rattling [specifically the new generation with bolt access door]? I know people have suggested installing washers to increase the clearance between the exhaust and the skid. Anyone else determine another point of noise or alternative solution?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup: