Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 05-28-2020, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I wonder who you talked to, all they have to do is substitute the 3.5" coils for the 4.5" coils. Its not like they put everything in the kit into one box. The components all come in their own boxes. You can also buy every component they offer if you wanted to piece the kit together yourself with 3.5" coils.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I wonder who you talked to, all they have to do is substitute the 3.5" coils for the 4.5" coils. Its not like they put everything in the kit into one box. The components all come in their own boxes. You can also buy every component they offer if you wanted to piece the kit together yourself with 3.5" coils.
Is a long arm kit even necessary for a 3.5” lift? I have no experience with linked suspensions, but I would imagine that metalcloak assembles their kits based off of what performs the best?
Old 05-28-2020, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice. IDK who I talked to, but I'll give them call again.

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
Is a long arm kit even necessary for a 3.5” lift? I have no experience with linked suspensions, but I would imagine that metalcloak assembles their kits based off of what performs the best?
I read where it goes both ways where its not necessary and is. From the people who did install, I have heard nothing but great feedback. I read alot of threads and of people who had installed them. I spoke to a few JK owners who had 3.5 lift and switched to 3.5 Long Arm, and they all love it. I have compared Short Arms to Long Arms and I understand the difference. My wife doesn't like how my JK handles on the road so I rather upgrade my suspension which Long Arms corrects the geometry of the lift. To better understand, there are Youtube videos.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Orazi
Nice. IDK who I talked to, but I'll give them call again.

I read where it goes both ways where its not necessary and is. From the people who did install, I have heard nothing but great feedback. I read alot of threads and of people who had installed them. I spoke to a few JK owners who had 3.5 lift and switched to 3.5 Long Arm, and they all love it. I have compared Short Arms to Long Arms and I understand the difference. My wife doesn't like how my JK handles on the road so I rather upgrade my suspension which Long Arms corrects the geometry of the lift. To better understand, there are Youtube videos.
As far as I understood, a long arm only allows for more articulation. With a 3.5” spring you may run out of spring expansion before you run out of flex which would defeat the purpose... or do I have it wrong?

I think you can correct the geometry of the suspension with adjustable links that are a standard length. Metalcloak has a link kit that has their duroflex bushings too.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

As far as I understood, a long arm only allows for more articulation. With a 3.5” spring you may run out of spring expansion before you run out of flex which would defeat the purpose... or do I have it wrong?

I think you can correct the geometry of the suspension with adjustable links that are a standard length. Metalcloak has a link kit that has their duroflex bushings too.
I think it works with the shocks you have. Or if you did something like coil overs. Adjustable arms I don't think it makes difference because of where the arms are located and how articulations work at that angle.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Long arms do not add articulation. They run on a flatter curve which reduces axle shift. Thats about it. Better tracking down the road is the main benefit. That and it lets you brag that you have a long arm kit. Good geometry on a short arm can give you a better ride at lower lift heights without the issues of clearance and the expense that long arms give you. Almost no long arm kit offered out there has good geometry either. Some hang the lowers under the frame and really give you clearance issues, some use long lowers and short uppers that creates some pretty good pinion changes during articulation. while the frame side brackets will be changed out due to the length of the arms, the brackets are put "where they will fit" and not for geometry purposes. You will see most front brackets have very little separation, rear brackets are all over the place and you have the fuel tank that is in the way for a well designed kit. Almost nobody moves the lower axle side brackets to adjust the geometry either. Most people that buy a long arm kit do so because they want a long arm kit but cannot tell you anything about why they should run one. It's their money and their jeeps so they can do whatever they want.

Your articulation will be determined by your shocks, bump stops (tire clearance), and your driveline.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 05-29-2020 at 07:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sv_dude (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nobody moves the lower axle side brackets to adjust the geometry either.
Man, I really wish you would just post accurate information rather than let your bias show through. Our X2 and Adventure X address lower axle side brackets in the rear, to improve geometry and increase ground clearance.

Here is one example of those kits. JKU 3.5 Inch Adventure-X Long Arm System - Rock Krawler Suspension
The following users liked this post:
jadmt (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Sorry, fixed for you.

How is your 3 link cracked frame cover up going? Still using the Chinese bat flu as an excuse not to notify customers? How many cases have you had so far? Never mind, you would just lie about it anyway.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I do find it pretty crazy that Rock Krawler still hasn't just pulled a report of everyone who purchased their 3 link long arm, and mail and emailed them a basic, "hey while there haven't been many cases, please check your rig for xxx." I'm lucky I stumbled upon that thread on the other forum, and alerted my friends running RK 3 links. Mind you, I was 2 months late to reading that thread, and when I told my buddies...they hadn't heard anything about this.

Step it up RK. Take accountability.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Look at this video.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members