Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 12-28-2016, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After upgrading my UCA on my 2.5 max travel kit, my steering has became very flighty along with my ESP constantly kicking on. Any suggestions please.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tito48030
After upgrading my UCA on my 2.5 max travel kit, my steering has became very flighty along with my ESP constantly kicking on. Any suggestions please.
And the only thing that was changed was the upper control arms?

My first initial thoughts:
1. Did you make sure to tighten down the bolts while the jeep was on the ground? If it was up on a lift or stands at the time the bolts were torqued down, you might have bound up the rubber bushing side joint. If that's the case, each time you hit a bump or a dip it will want to unload/relieve.

2. Have you rechecked to make sure that the jam nuts are still tight? As well as the control arms bolts too.

3. Have you checked your castor? If you increased the length of the upper arms in front, and still have stock lower arms (or did not increase their length), you would have taken out your castor, which helps keep the jeep heading straight and steering wheel returning to center - stock castor is around 4 degrees, depending on what size tires you are running, 5-5.5 might be more ideal.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by decoy5657
I just posted my RK Max Travel kit install details if anyone is interested. Some important points in there if RK is watching. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...3/#post4267338
I've got a popping sound coming from my front end. I have a synergy trac bar though. Are both axle side and frame side the wrong size?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kbp810
And the only thing that was changed was the upper control arms? My first initial thoughts: 1. Did you make sure to tighten down the bolts while the jeep was on the ground? If it was up on a lift or stands at the time the bolts were torqued down, you might have bound up the rubber bushing side joint. If that's the case, each time you hit a bump or a dip it will want to unload/relieve. 2. Have you rechecked to make sure that the jam nuts are still tight? As well as the control arms bolts too. 3. Have you checked your castor? If you increased the length of the upper arms in front, and still have stock lower arms (or did not increase their length), you would have taken out your castor, which helps keep the jeep heading straight and steering wheel returning to center - stock castor is around 4 degrees, depending on what size tires you are running, 5-5.5 might be more ideal.
My LCA are the ones that come with the Max travel kit. I replaced my stock uppers with
Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The max travel kit comes with Front Lowers and rear Uppers.. did you instal them correctly? Make sure you have tighten them on the ground and checked the bolts and the jam nuts! What is your caster angle at?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

My max travel kit only came with front and rear lower control arms. I recently replaced my stock uppers recently. With RK uppers. That's when it became really flighty. I did install correctly. It almost pulls you when going over bumps or jumps on the road. My tires are deflated to 30 psi. I have duratracs.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

My max travel kit only came with front and rear lower control arms. I recently replaced my stock uppers recently. With RK uppers. That's when it became really flighty. I did install correctly. It almost pulls you when going over bumps or jumps on the road. My tires are deflated to 30 psi. I have duratracs.
What length did you use ? Anything over stock pushed caster too low. Thats why your steering is light.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
What length did you use ? Anything over stock pushed caster too low. Thats why your steering is light.
I'm a newbie. How do I correct the problem if the castor is too low. Sorry
Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

I'm a newbie. How do I correct the problem if the castor is too low. Sorry
Shorten the upper arms you installed.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

He hasn't been perfectly clear if they were the upper control arms. Hopefully he installed uppers in in the upper location.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members