Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 01-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Please send pics of your lowers in the front and rear, max travel kit only come with front lowers and rear uppers.... hoping you didn't instal arms in wrong location! Email chad@rockkrawler.com
Old 02-02-2017, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Rock Krawler Suspension,

I've got a technical/setup question I was hoping you could help me figure out. I have a Rock Krawler Suspension lift kit on my 2010 2 door JK that actually came on it when I bought it in 2013 so I'm not sure which kit it is exactly. I did look up the part number on the springs, they are 2.5" springs and it looks like it has RK lower control arms front and rear as well as possibly brake lines and sway bar disconnects. Upper control arms are still stock front and rear.

That being said, my current issue is that I'd like to replace my 35's with 37's and at the same time, I'd like to put in a set of the triple rate 3.5" springs you guys have. When doing that though, I'd like to re-center the rear axle in the wheel well but I'm not not exactly sure what I'd need to be able to do that. At first I thought rear uppers would achieve this but someone else mentioned the rear lowers but they might not be the correct length to re-center the axle. So I figured I would ask you guys and see what you suggest. I appreciate your help and advice.

David
Old 02-02-2017, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDave07

I've got a technical/setup question I was hoping you could help me figure out. I have a Rock Krawler Suspension lift kit on my 2010 2 door JK that actually came on it when I bought it in 2013 so I'm not sure which kit it is exactly. I did look up the part number on the springs, they are 2.5" springs and it looks like it has RK lower control arms front and rear as well as possibly brake lines and sway bar disconnects. Upper control arms are still stock front and rear.

That being said, my current issue is that I'd like to replace my 35's with 37's and at the same time, I'd like to put in a set of the triple rate 3.5" springs you guys have. When doing that though, I'd like to re-center the rear axle in the wheel well but I'm not not exactly sure what I'd need to be able to do that. At first I thought rear uppers would achieve this but someone else mentioned the rear lowers but they might not be the correct length to re-center the axle. So I figured I would ask you guys and see what you suggest. I appreciate your help and advice.

David
When you talk about centering the axle, do you mean front-to-rear or left-to-right?

In the rear you will need at LEAST upper arms. Just go to their website and look at the 3.5 inch lift kits and look what comes with them.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SuperDave07

David

Call the office and ask for Chad 518-270-9822

Thanks RK
Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

RK-

I've got ridiculous rust on 2 complete sets of your coils. What's the best way to fix this aside from blast and powdercoat? One set is on my daily that sees many miles and the other set is on my friend's 4dr that doesn't see many miles at all. Both are seeing rust at the top and bottom of the coil windings.

2dr 2.5" coils 04816 and 4dr 3.5" coils, part numbers unknown at this point in time.

Thank you for your time
Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by karls10jk
RK-

I've got ridiculous rust on 2 complete sets of your coils. What's the best way to fix this aside from blast and powdercoat? One set is on my daily that sees many miles and the other set is on my friend's 4dr that doesn't see many miles at all. Both are seeing rust at the top and bottom of the coil windings.

2dr 2.5" coils 04816 and 4dr 3.5" coils, part numbers unknown at this point in time.

Thank you for your time

Best way would be blast and powder coat, if not take the springs out and sand them and pain them with a rustoleum paint!!

RK
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

My RK coils also looked like crap. I think perhaps RK is saving money by having the local grade school kids paint them with water color paint . seriously I loved the way my RK coils handled but it blows me away that they rusted in 6 months time.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My control arms were a lovely rust color until I recently wire brushed them, plopped on some rust bullet, and top coated with black. Love the lift and how it performs. Hate the quality of the powder coat. Barely lasted a year and a half.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Best way would be blast and powder coat, if not take the springs out and sand them and pain them with a rustoleum paint!!

RK
Sand blasting...my favorite! Thank you for the reply, it'll have to be a summer project.

Shutterbug-- rust bullet? Is it an online item like fluid film or something local to your area?? I'd hate to beg you to bring some to Freak Fest.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Shutterbug-- rust bullet? Is it an online item like fluid film or something local to your area?? I'd hate to beg you to bring some to Freak Fest.
It's similar to POR 15. The chemical makeup of the paint is reactive with oxygen and bonds with the rust. One thing you DON'T do is remove all of the rust. It is NOT UV sensitive (like POR 15 is), so you have don't have to top coat it, but it is gray.

It's expensive. Like $50 a quart. It also has an unopened shelf life. And once you do open it, it has an even shorter life. You can extend it by spraying Bloxygen (a brand of Argon in a spray can) into the open can before closing it. Since Argon is heavier than air, it will allow it to keep. But you also need to put plastic wrap on the can before putting the lid back on. The stuff will bond the can and lid together making it impossible to open again.

I sprayed my Rubicon axles with it through an HVLP gun before I installed them last year. It was a process. Multiple coats applied within a time window. If it dries, it is so hard that you have to sand it again to give it tooth. I spent an entire day painting the axles multiple coats and then top coating with several coats of flat black.

For the control arms, I just got rid of the loose powder coat, painted it with what I had left over from the axle project (the shelf life had passed, but I figure it couldn't hurt) and then more black paint.

You can get it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Bullet-A.../dp/B0002P3IJ8

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members