Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
as one who has had your coils sag and get replaced under warranty I would not have wanted them powder coated as I am pretty sure that would have been an issue as I had to jump thru enough hoops as it was. no way would I powder coat them I would instead get a can of gold rustoleum paint and call it good. I have stated over and over that I loved how the RK triple rates performed but when my second set started to sag I went another direction.

Typically with any warranty we would want to see photos to demonstrate proper install and some kind of proof of purchase. For an item like a spring we would want a copy of a recent alignment and some measurements to verify that the axles are square under the vehicle, pinion or caster is correct etc. You can read more about it here: Rock Krawler Suspension

Adam C
Old 02-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
I have no idea why someone would contact MC about RK springs, that seems backwards. Powder coating a spring is typically done, depending on color, at 400 degrees for less than an hour. That will rarely affect the spring. We don't look to make excuses for the springs we want to correct the issues that may have caused the springs to sag.

It is interesting that you quoted another company's excuse and tried to say that we would make that excuse....

Adam C
So you're saying if someone powder coated their RK springs, and then later experienced either sagging or corrosion problems with those springs that RK would not take the outside sourced powder coating into consideration for denying a warranty claim?

Edit: You can ignore the corrosion comment aspect since we already know, RK rusted parts are considered part of normal wear and tear, and corrosion on those parts do not qualify for a warranty claim. So let's focus on the sagging spring aspect to avoid any further misunderstandings.

That's what I'm saying, we can all do without the "I have no idea why" act. The stage is set for your response for you to confirm one way or the other, and I'm certain that would be useful information to know for those considering powder coating their RK springs since it's something many do and I'm certain MC has experienced problems with it and is the reason why they state that they "don't recommend it" and will deny warranty claims. If RK's policy is different, you now have the opportunity to confirm.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-07-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Typically with any warranty we would want to see photos to demonstrate proper install and some kind of proof of purchase. For an item like a spring we would want a copy of a recent alignment and some measurements to verify that the axles are square under the vehicle, pinion or caster is correct etc. You can read more about it here: Rock Krawler Suspension

Adam C
I don't need to read it, I went thru it getting mine replaced. I did everything you asked me to do but you have to admit it got a little ridicules towards the end. If you remember my shocks were blamed and pinion angle was blamed and when the pinion angle was shown to be perfect and it was pointed out that there was no way the shocks could cause it to sag and finally you gave me the engineered coil length where they should be when installed and they were like 2" short of what they were supposed to be. Any way I always said they rode great but I feel for the guy that has his powder coated and they start to sag as I found there was always one more thing at fault and it would be hard to show that the pc was not applied too hot at least the other things could be proven to be fine with photos and measurements. After 3 RK lifts I went a different direction on my 4th lift and now I am looking to lift again on my new 2018 Recon and part of me wants to go with RK again but another part of me is like just stick with what worked last time
Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Also thanks for posting your warranty terms link:

This line was an eye opener
Originally Posted by RockKrawler
Springs and Shocks are warranteed against manufacturer's defect only and are only returnable if they have not been installed.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't need to read it, I went thru it getting mine replaced. I did everything you asked me to do but you have to admit it got a little ridicules towards the end. If you remember my shocks were blamed and pinion angle was blamed and when the pinion angle was shown to be perfect and it was pointed out that there was no way the shocks could cause it to sag and finally you gave me the engineered coil length where they should be when installed and they were like 2" short of what they were supposed to be. Any way I always said they rode great but I feel for the guy that has his powder coated and they start to sag as I found there was always one more thing at fault and it would be hard to show that the pc was not applied too hot at least the other things could be proven to be fine with photos and measurements. After 3 RK lifts I went a different direction on my 4th lift and now I am looking to lift again on my new 2018 Recon and part of me wants to go with RK again but another part of me is like just stick with what worked last time
Did you read the warranty terms? It seems to me that you lose any warranty on shocks and springs the moment you choose to install them.

" Springs and Shocks are warranteed against manufacturer's defect only and are only returnable if they have not been installed. "

Seems rather odd. Maybe you're suppose to just put them on your nightstand and admire them to retain any warranty on the springs/shocks?

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-06-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

all you have to do with RK is throw a fit on a forum and they will replace just about anything. Their warrantee page says one thing one day and something else another. Who can keep track.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Did you read the warranty terms? It seems to me that you lose any warranty on shocks and springs the moment you choose to install them.

" Springs and Shocks are warranteed against manufacturer's defect only and are only returnable if they have not been installed. "

Seems rather odd. Maybe you're suppose to just put them on your nightstand and admire them to retain any warranty on the springs/shocks?
that is standard across the board and it does not mean there is no warranty once installed it simply means they ain’t like new shoes you can’t wear them around the house for a day and then return them for a different size or color if you don’t like them.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edited by Request From Rock Krawler Suspension

Last edited by TrailBadger; 03-06-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

that is standard across the board and it does not mean there is no warranty once installed it simply means they ain’t like new shoes you can’t wear them around the house for a day and then return them for a different size or color if you don’t like them.
Thanks!!! I definitely misinterpreted that one. My mind was thinking "warranty" when reading the warranty terms and really wasn't considering general returns.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
That's what I'm saying, we can all do without the "I have no idea why" act. The stage is set for your response for you to confirm one way or the other, and I'm certain that would be useful information to know for those considering powder coating their RK springs since it's something many do and I'm certain MC has experienced problems with it and is the reason why they state that they "don't recommend it" and will deny warranty claims. If RK's policy is different, you now have the opportunity to confirm.
PC'ing springs will not automatically void a warranty, Period.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members