Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I also made this super long wrench extension to get the leverage I needed. Worked out great.

Dayum! Now you're not fooling around with that leverage.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Dayum! Now you're not fooling around with that leverage.
Like the instruction say:
All 1” Jam Nuts are to be torqued to 250-300 ft-lbs. GET YOUR BIG BOY PANTS ON!
This was easier. LOL!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock Krawler, I just finished installing your x-factor long arm upgrade, and I’m looking at the rear lower arms and noticing the arm/jamnut is contacting the axle side mounting bracket on both driver and passenger sides. This appears to be a result of the arms being straight and mounted outside the frame, and the axle side mounts being oriented a bit diagonally toward the inside of the Jeep, or toward the differential, if that makes sense. What can I do to remedy this? I’d rather not cut out the axle side bracket as it will lose structural integrity, and I’ve driven myself crazy with all the plasma, sawzall, and grinder cutting I’ve done over the past 3 days.But I see no other way to fix the issue. I’m on your 2.5” triple rate coils in the rear, with about 3.5-4” of net lift in the rear. Help is appreciated.

Side note, I haven’t driven the Jeep yet after the install, much less wheeled it, but it appears the rear lower arms will contact the rearmost frameside body mount upon upwards articulation. This may not be the case, but it LOOKS like it will be. I am absolutely opposed to limiting my uptravel with bumpstops to prevent this from happening, but feel like clearancing the body mount would be sacrificing structural integrity there as well.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Shooting from the hip without seeing pictures:
If you have an X Factor long arm, which reference point did you use for the rear lower control arm mounts on the frame? If you used the oval shaped hole and aligned there, you'll likely have no issue with contact depending on your rear shock mounting locations and rear shock lengths. If you chose to mount vertically higher on the frame, yes trimming of the body mount would be required.

On the axle side of the rear lower arms, first, make sure the axle is centered in the wheel well, both left/right but also front/back. if the axle is too far forward and arms are adjusted too short, you will have the problem you described. These will also be affected by the placement of the rear lower frame side mounts.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Shooting from the hip without seeing pictures:
If you have an X Factor long arm, which reference point did you use for the rear lower control arm mounts on the frame? If you used the oval shaped hole and aligned there, you'll likely have no issue with contact depending on your rear shock mounting locations and rear shock lengths. If you chose to mount vertically higher on the frame, yes trimming of the body mount would be required.

On the axle side of the rear lower arms, first, make sure the axle is centered in the wheel well, both left/right but also front/back. if the axle is too far forward and arms are adjusted too short, you will have the problem you described. These will also be affected by the placement of the rear lower frame side mounts.
I used the correct oval shaped hole to reference the mounts. The axle is not centered perfectly yet, but it’s close. I have 11.6”-11.7” travel Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks mounted in factory locations, but stuff the tires higher in wheel well than most due to it being clearanced for a 37” tire. By the way mine is a 4 door if i didn’t mention. But the arms are contacting the axle side mounts at both sides so I don’t see how centering it would mitigate the issue. I will take some pictures in a bit
Old 04-23-2019, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here’s some pictures of how close the lowers are to the frameside body mount, the left and rear axle side mounts being contacted.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

@Rock Krawler Suspension any insight?
Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 AM
Former Vendor

Mike, have you cycled the suspension yet? If you've trimmed the fenders to increase uptravel, you'll likely need to clearance the body mounts as well.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Full flares or not, those arms are going to hit the body mount. I think what he's trying to tactfully say is "What the hell, why doesn't the system work how it's supposed to when I've done what you've asked me to do. Why do the links contact the body mount-not mentioned in the install notes."
Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Full flares or not, those arms are going to hit the body mount. I think what he's trying to tactfully say is "What the hell, why doesn't the system work how it's supposed to when I've done what you've asked me to do. Why do the links contact the body mount-not mentioned in the install notes."
Because depending on tire size and clearances, they don't. The X Factor Long Arm has been around for a long time and works as it should. Bear in mind that due to the length of the arm, the axle moves substantially more than the spot on the arm where the contact could exist, its a motion ratio not a direct relationship. Most long arm users are running larger tires than the above user and that is the typical limit of uptravel. If trimmingis needed to achieve the desired amount of uptravel, then that's what is needed, we require trimming of that body mount for other applications so if the above user's application needs it, no worries.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members