JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rock Rails: frame or body mount? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rock-rails-frame-body-mount-17557/)

scottcarp 10-08-2007 07:14 AM

Rock Rails: frame or body mount?

There's been a few discussions about rock rails, including discussions about specific vendors, but could someone pitch in and discuss pros and cons of frame-mounted vs. body-mounted?

My shrockworks should be in soon, so I hope I don't hear too much bad about body-mounted!:sad2:

Jake_Blues 10-08-2007 07:18 AM

Frame mounted rails can't easily cover the sides of the vehicle, they generally offer the most protection from below. They are usually sturdier though, especially if they are welded on.

Body mounted rails can wrap around and cover more of your sheet metal, offering more side impact protection. They are usually harder to mount though. They can also be tied into other body armor more easily, since they aren't fixed to the chassis.

-E

ToyFamily 10-08-2007 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by scottcarp (Post 197832)
There's been a few discussions about rock rails, including discussions about specific vendors, but could someone pitch in and discuss pros and cons of frame-mounted vs. body-mounted?

My shrockworks should be in soon, so I hope I don't hear too much bad about body-mounted!:sad2:

Our sliders are frame mounted.

Nick

JKcarp 10-08-2007 07:48 AM

Jack

Has anyone tried to jack up the vehicle from the tubes on the shrockworks? If so, does it rub into the pinch seam at all? Do you notice any bending of the material?

scottcarp 10-08-2007 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by scottcarp (Post 197832)

Originally Posted by ToyFamily (Post 197840)
Our sliders are frame mounted.

Nick

Ooops. My bad. :naw:

Dayton 10-08-2007 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by JKcarp (Post 197865)
Has anyone tried to jack up the vehicle from the tubes on the shrockworks? If so, does it rub into the pinch seam at all? Do you notice any bending of the material?

With 6 bolts (2 Grade 8 - Min. Tensile Strength in PSI = 150,000lbs and 4 Grade 5 - Min. Tensile Strength in PSI = 105,000lbs ) connecting the slider to the frame, you could probably pick up the whole vehicle by the sliders... I haven't personally jacked it up, but I would have no problem at all jacking up using the squarred part of the slider.

00pumpkin 10-08-2007 08:04 AM

You are suppose to be able to pick up the whole vehicle with any sort of rocker protection...........if you cant, than they arnt worth a damn.

CarFanatic 10-08-2007 10:13 AM

With as thin of the sheet metal on the jk, I would think that a good hit would dent the crap out of the body pannels. I would say frame mounts are much stronger. I myself will be getting shrockworks sliders in a few months.

shrockworks 10-08-2007 10:17 AM

Lifting the whole vehicle with a jack etc. is a walk in the park for our sliders.

Blue 10-08-2007 11:48 AM

I really like the look of the purejeep and Or-Fab guards which are body mounted. However, I would be willing to bet the frame mount ones are more solid. I have a set of Or-Fab that I will install this weekend. I ain't jacking it up by them though!:bleh: