Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocks v. Sand

Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocks v. Sand

I really want to have the speed needed for a little baja action in the sand but also to slow climb some rocky places.

I have seen two different ways to modify the suspension for each, but not a hybrid.

Can someone lead me to a nice balanced approach to suspension and tires?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With solid axles, your only option would be a long arm kit for high speed. Once you have long arms, the articulation for rock crawling is there. Combine that with a coil-over setup and you could have the adjustable suspension rate that would be suitable for both Rock and Road.

Otherwise get a Ford Raptor and forget all about Jeep trails.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long arm setup, Coil overs, bypasses and hydraulic bump stops. Truss the axles and hope for the best.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

How fast are we talking?
Plan on jumping?
How much modification are you willing to do?
Whats your budget?
Are you planning on a custom cage to protect in case of a high speed roll over?
New seats and 5 point harness?

There are different levels of performance depending on what you actually want in the end. For go fast your shocks are going to be key and you must have enough up travel in your set up for the shocks to properly work. This is a challenge on a JK when you want to add in rock crawling which typically leans towards long travel in the suspension. People will accede long travel in a rock crawler by having more down travel then up or running a lot of lift. Neither of these is good for go fast.

If rock crawling is mild and a secondary thought then go with a coil over or bypass set up (both is best) with 10"-12" travel shocks set with slightly more up travel then down, keep the lift height low, and run 35" tires and flat fenders. A long arm will make handling better and either a trailing arm or double triangulated rear set up will help with stability.

I would recommend a full float rear axle, don't even bother with modifying the factory semi float and something stronger up front.

It all depends on what questions I asked at the top. A mild get by set up for some speed running you can expect to spend $10k and it goes up from there easily getting up into the $25-30k range for a reliable go fast rig that has shitty power.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Some expert on lifts, in another Wrangler forum told me this TF ST3 3in lift was all you need for speed. Supposedly the magic is all in the "SpeedBump progressive bumpstops".

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-23-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Thats laughable. Their bump stops are just foam in a can. No adjustment and a total rip off for what they charge.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
How fast are we talking?
Plan on jumping?
How much modification are you willing to do?
Whats your budget?
Are you planning on a custom cage to protect in case of a high speed roll over?
New seats and 5 point harness?

There are different levels of performance depending on what you actually want in the end. For go fast your shocks are going to be key and you must have enough up travel in your set up for the shocks to properly work. This is a challenge on a JK when you want to add in rock crawling which typically leans towards long travel in the suspension. People will accede long travel in a rock crawler by having more down travel then up or running a lot of lift. Neither of these is good for go fast.

If rock crawling is mild and a secondary thought then go with a coil over or bypass set up (both is best) with 10"-12" travel shocks set with slightly more up travel then down, keep the lift height low, and run 35" tires and flat fenders. A long arm will make handling better and either a trailing arm or double triangulated rear set up will help with stability.

I would recommend a full float rear axle, don't even bother with modifying the factory semi float and something stronger up front.

It all depends on what questions I asked at the top. A mild get by set up for some speed running you can expect to spend $10k and it goes up from there easily getting up into the $25-30k range for a reliable go fast rig that has shitty power.
Pretty much spot on here, right down to the shitty power part. $30K is going to be a good budget number by the time you're done with axles, suspension, brakes, and other key upgrades. A 3" TF lift isn't going to do what you want, but that's a hilarious suggestion.

Do some research on King of the Hammers to get some ideas as that's the extreme of what your'e looking for. There is a portion of the race that is sand and desert, then you jump back to rock crawling. Just finishing the race is HUGE bragging rights. Aside from the Ultra 4 rigs, there are full sized Jeeps that run the race. Evo and Poison Spyder campaign rigs out there that are badass (with LS power).

Again, that's the far extreme of what you're talking about. Figure out your budget and your end game and go from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDEPm_H66Xg
Old 05-24-2017, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got Milk?

https://youtu.be/9jB7-0QehTE
Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hail2Ale
That would be fun! I like the BJ Baldwin Recoil series as well.

Here's EVO 1, and I know Dirtman's feelings on the Evo kits, but this thing is sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s_WL4cpFDQ Historically the solid front axle rigs have dominated Hammers. There has been a bit of a swing with the IFS developments in the last couple years.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Nothing wrong with EVO, they give the stupid customer what they want. The bling of coil overs and bypass shocks, even if they are not properly set up right. It amazes me how people will spend $10k on components and not take the extra steps to get everything out of them. That rig is not the bolt on stuff they offer and I guarantee its been on the tuning track. I bet that rig also cost more then what you can build an ultra 4 car from scratch. I think Genrights terramoto is pushing $200k on the build.

This is why I tell guys to build a buggy and leave the JK on 35's.

Quick Reply: Rocks v. Sand