Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rolling squeak coming from the fronted

Old 03-05-2018, 11:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaydcljr
ok I am at my wits end . I have the like rolling squeak coming from my front end . I thought it might have been a hub bearing going and replaced the universal joint on the driver side and I also replaced the Caliber thinking that it might be sticking. I took it all down today checked for areas like the back plate to see if it is rubbing did not see anything to indicate a rub. I check nuts and bolts for tightness to make sure I did not have anything that was loss. I am not sure where to go from here. I checked the drive shafts they seem to be tight and the only thing that I can think that it could be is a bearing in the Diff housing itself. Can any one give me some ideas where to go from here. It is a high pitch like a bearing is going bad ..... One more thing is that this doesn't start till after I have been on the road for a while going at speed. After it has been sitting for a while and then I drive it the wheel squeak will come back. I checked the brakes they are new and the rotors are new all the way around. This noise did not start because of the brakes because they have been on for over a month and a half and the squeak only started about 7 to 10 days ago. The is more like a chirp type squeal like a bearing. only hear it when driving does not change when I go over a bump or when I turn the wheel.

Thanks
Squeak noise from car while driving is a collection of videos of the different sounds brake pad wear indicators make.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lessonstar
Squeak noise from car while driving is a collection of videos of the different sounds brake pad wear indicators make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuScoY8Rhvg
He already replaced the pads and calipers. He's still having the same noise.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

I will take the tires off the rear and check for the flange issue. It can't hurt to see if the flange is bent. I am running 35 inch tires on the jeep with the roads that I drive on every day it could be the issue. Thanks I hope that is it because that is only a 450.00 fix and 30 mins to and hr worth of work. We will take it a part in the morning see what we find
Old 03-08-2018, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I will take the tires off the rear and check for the flange issue. It can't hurt to see if the flange is bent. I am running 35 inch tires on the jeep with the roads that I drive on every day it could be the issue. Thanks I hope that is it because that is only a 450.00 fix and 30 mins to and hr worth of work. We will take it a part in the morning see what we find
You shouldn't have to pull the tires off to see that. Just put the Jeep on jackstands and get the wheels moving. If you have a bent flange, you'll see some wiggle in the tire. I thought bent flanges required a bit more to fix than that. New axle shaft most likely, but just straightening the flange itself would be a major hurdle.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
You shouldn't have to pull the tires off to see that. Just put the Jeep on jackstands and get the wheels moving. If you have a bent flange, you'll see some wiggle in the tire. I thought bent flanges required a bit more to fix than that. New axle shaft most likely, but just straightening the flange itself would be a major hurdle.
Yeah technically you don't need to take the tires off, but you'll get a better view with the tires, caliper, and rotor off. Then you'll know with 100% certainty.

You can buy new fully assembled chromoly axle shafts for $450 on Northridge4x4. Then keep the stockers as spares.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 PM
JK Newbie

BoroBora that is my plan . They have pre loaded shaft for a great price best I have found. I am going to take the tire off today to see if I can find the issue. I am hoping this is the issue . If not I am going to take it to a drive line company hear in lorton va to see if they can find the issue. This jeep issue is driving me nuts and I am suborn an will not let it beat me.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Just finished reading through all this and the whole time I was thinking bent flange as well. I had a flange that was just barely bent and causing a squeak that was driving me nuts. Couldn't see no wobble in the tire with the tire on, and it was just barely noticeable at the flange with the tire off. Hope you find the issue and that it's a simple fix.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

ok We did the test with Tires on and tires off. I did see a slight movement on the drivers side of the axle when the tires were off.. I did not notice anything when the tires were on. I might take it to a drive line shop to have them put some gauges to see if it is really out or if it is just my eyes. I would at least say that it is on the driver side which is where I am hearing the noise coming from. The passenger side seem to look just fine. I may just go ahead an change the axles out because it will cost me another 150.00 for them to just diag to tell me it is the shafts. I also did notice on the passage side I have a slight leak at the seal .
Old 03-10-2018, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

ok We did the test with Tires on and tires off. I did see a slight movement on the drivers side of the axle when the tires were off.. I did not notice anything when the tires were on. I might take it to a drive line shop to have them put some gauges to see if it is really out or if it is just my eyes. I would at least say that it is on the driver side which is where I am hearing the noise coming from. The passenger side seem to look just fine. I may just go ahead an change the axles out because it will cost me another 150.00 for them to just diag to tell me it is the shafts. I also did notice on the passage side I have a slight leak at the seal .
Maybe you don't need to waste money on paying someone to diagnose. I might have missed it, but what Jeep do you have? If a non-Rubi D44, then I believe the axle shafts are interchangeable from driver to passenger. On the Rubicon D44 they are side specific, I think because of the locker. You could swap axle shafts from one side to the other real quick and see if that eliminates the squeak or moves the noise to the other side. That assumes only one of the flanges is bent of course.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The seal is part of the shaft assembly. You can re-use your shaft and just buy a new wheel bearing and seal, and have someone press the bearing on with the new seal. Or you can just buy an assembled pair of Ten Factory or Carbon chromoly shafts for $400-450 and use your current stock set as spares.

Quick Reply: rolling squeak coming from the fronted