Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating the Rubicon E-Disco motor?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally got around to trying this today, and I am happy to report that I had just enough room to make it work; with less than a 1/4" to spare though!

Thanks to all that posted up with advice/help...
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Installed my new E-Disco today. Got the longer bolt and some other parts from Ace Hardware and installed it rotated 90 degrees up ... worked perfectly. Thanks for this OLD POST!

Some pics showing the extra clearance ...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

what size bolt is needed to do this? I will be doing this for sure!

also, has anyone run into any issues by doing this to their e-disco?

Last edited by 07Rubi2dr; 07-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

I forgot to take a picture of my bolt setup ...

But if you look at this picture here is how I did it ....

The Bolt it the entire length of the colored line .. 10MM - 1.5 pitch - Grade 10.9

Green are 10MM washers.

Blue is where I installed steel sleeves to make the diameter the same as the original bolt.

Red is the length of the threaded area.

Orange is a Nut I put all the way to the end of the thread so when I installed the bolt it tightened against the motor.

I used Blue Lock-tite on the threads since they ended up being slight shorter then the original bolt used in that hole. The best thing would have been to grind down the nut to make it half has thick ... but I think it will be OK as is ...

Got all the parts at Ace hardware for about $4 ... most of it being $2.19 for the bolt.

I also packed the top side of the connector with 3M Strip Caulking to make it 100% water proof ... and packed the pin side of the connector with Di-Electric grease before clipping it on ... Since I added this part it won't be under warranty and I want no water or corrosion issues!

Last edited by dmhines; 07-21-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines

I also packed the top side of the connector with 3M Strip Caulking to make it 100% water proof ... and packed the pin side of the connector with Di-Electric grease before clipping it on ... Since I added this part it won't be under warranty and I want no water or corrosion issues!
sweet thanks man. The water proofing is a must do... the jeep is currently in the shop having my 4th e-disco installed due to water issues!!!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

need a little more help with this,,, sorry. i read this thread 3 times adn looked at the sway bar motor 3 times and i cant figure out the bolt situation

i cant find any empty threaded holes on the motor assembly if i rotate it?

the four bolts to remove the sway bar.. are you referring to the four bolts that mount the sway bar to the frame? and then it just rotates? does the sway bar need to be in disconnect mode?

this stuff used to come so easily...... i dont like getting older.....
Old 07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

There is no empty hole. You remove the housing bolt and replace it with the modified bolt. The modified bolt will secure the housing and hold the bushing as well.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

okay, thats what i was thinkin. thanks "quick draw mcgraw" for the fast response !
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BAD JOKE
okay, thats what i was thinkin. thanks "quick draw mcgraw" for the fast response !
No problem. Instant notification via email to my iPhone makes for quick replies!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Today I rotated the e-disco on my Rubicon. This thread hasn't been updated in a while, so I thought I would add more pics to hopefully provide some additional value. Special thanks to dmhines for his great pics and write-up. I would have been a little lost without his help. Note that the listed parts are slightly different than those mentioned previously. I had to improvise based on what was available at the local hardware store.

Parts include:
(1) 10mm bolt, ~4" long and fully threaded
(1) Sleeve, ~1.5" long
(3) nuts
(1) small diameter washer
(2) large diameter washers
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	126862

Pre-assembled (for illustration purposes only; must be disassembled before install):

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	126863

As mentioned above, the 4 sway bar frame bolts must be removed before rotation (pics included in previous posts).

Rotated e-disco with disconnected wire:

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	126864

Installed. Note that the new bolt assembly replaces an existing housing bolt:

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	126865

With the e-disco rotated and reassembled, the wire connector mount rubs the plastic shroud below the radiator.

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	126866

Quick Reply: Rotating the Rubicon E-Disco motor?