Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating the Rubicon E-Disco motor?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating the Rubicon E-Disco motor?

I am thinking about doing this; but I am not sure exactly how to go about it, or if it is even possible with my bumper. When you do this does the motor just rotate forward or backward, or is it completely flipped upside down? Will my SRC bumper prevent me from doing this? My bumper retains the lower cross member as a mounting point.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated… Pictures would also be great!

Here are some pics of my bumper and E-Diso, and the room I have to play with...

Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have done it and it is very simple. It is turned up about 90 degrees and creates more clearance under the front bumper. It is required on the Rubi front skid plate from Expedition One.

1) Remove the bolt and pin holding the motor to the rubber isolator. Remove the bolts holding the sway bar to the frame

2) Rotate motor 90 degrees up.

3) Insert a new bolt into one of the empty threaded holes of the casing. A new size bolt is needed. Insert the pin into the rubber isolator. Bolt the swaybar back on.

Works with my Warn 9.5 xp mounted in between the frame.

Last edited by VictorS; 05-27-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info; any thoughts on if I will have enough room to do this? My bumper has a recessed winch mount. Does the motor shift forward much?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I rotated my e-disco motor when I installed the skid plate from Expedition One. It's a breeze. Took me an hour including installing the skid plate. The motor turns up 90 degrees. I still have the stock bumper, but I think the e-disco motor is far enough back (almost under the radiator) that it shouldn't interfere with winch mounts that are installed between the frame rails. Every bumper is different though so you should measure how far back towards the radiator your bumper and winch plate reach before going through the trouble of rotating the motor up.

I can take some measurements tonight when I get home and post them here.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all of the help. I will not be able to get around to trying it for a couple of days. If you do find the time to measure for me that would be great...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteelMastiff
Thanks for the info; any thoughts on if I will have enough room to do this? My bumper has a recessed winch mount. Does the motor shift forward much?
Yes, it does move forward a bit, but not much. Looks like you'll be pretty tight with that bumper. The only way to verify is by doing it without removing the bumper. Do it from underneath.

My winch is also recessed between the frame even more than yours and it fit with the disco motor rotated, but just barely. The casing on the Warn 9.5xp is pretty compact. I don't know about that superwinch though. Although you´re a tad higher, it might work. You need to fiddle with it a bit.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

If it moves it forward very much I might have problems... You're correct, It's not so much the winch that I am worried about, it is the design of the winch mount. You can see in this pic just what my concern is, there is not a whole lot of room there...

Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Junkie

I have the Expedition One Rubi Skid also. It very easy to do rotate. Just make sure it's facing like in the last pic. Drop the four bolts holding the sway bar, rotate the motor, put your new hanger bolt in the motor, and that's it, very simple.

Stock................

Rotated up under the Radiator shroud...............

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 05-27-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Didn't I see somewhere you have to sawzall the bottom cross member to use the expedition skid? Has anyone "not" cut if off?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:56 AM
JK Super Freak

You have to cut it off in order to install the skid plate. The skid plate covers the entire bottom area, including where the lower cross member is attached. If you don't remove the cross member, the skid plate won't fit.

There are plenty of pics on the forum of the skid plate from underneath so you can see what I'm referring to.

Quick Reply: Rotating the Rubicon E-Disco motor?