Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Riding Suspension Help!

Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The 18" wheels (small sidewall) and E rated tires (made for ton trucks) @ 30 psi is going to ride rough. Lower control arms can help with steering feel but that's about it. relocation brackets will do more to help the ride. Welcome to the jeep world
Old 04-19-2019, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cherokeetrojan
hey everyone, i've looked at various threads regarding rough riding suspensions but i figured i'd start one on my behalf regarding my jk. Background i have 2017 unlimited sport. It rode rough the moment i bought it (brand new) so i started reading threads regarding this subject and came to the conclusion that was the way jeeps rode because of the solid axle and it wasn't supposed to ride like a cadillac. But i'm seriously thinking something was wrong from the moment i bought it because i've never rode in a vehicle that absorbs potholes, manholes, bumps, etc the way my jeep does. I've never rode in a different jk so i'm not sure how to compare it to others. I recently installed a metalcloak true dual rate 2.5 lift kit with rocksport shocks. I added 33x12.5x18 atturo trail blade x/t tires with 18" motometal wheels. Installed the wheels with 35 psi to start with and lowered down to 32 after reading some threads regarding tire psi. Event went down to 30 as of two weeks ago. Now this does help somewhat but i still believe that only masks something else that's going on with my suspension. Everything was torqued to spec and retorqued after a week of driving. So in conclusion i need help figuring out what's wrong with my ride. Like i said it rode the same way before the lift and tires. Please help a fellow jeeper out regarding this subject because it's irritating me so much that i'm thinking of trading vehicles, which sucks because this is the funnest vehicle i've owned.
trade it in for a renegade trailhawk , volkswagon, or subaru.... Its a wrangler, enough said..
Old 04-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJKU2017
trade it in for a renegade trailhawk , volkswagon, or subaru.... Its a wrangler, enough said..
That's why I asked what his previous vehicle was.

Like all things, we all have our personal reference points that we're always comparing thing to. If he came from riding in a Cadillac SUV and purchased a Wrangler thinking it was going to be a similar riding SUV as the Cadillac, then his perception of rough ride is going to be heightened. If he would have came from riding an old time farm tractor in fields, then he may consider the Wrangler has a plush ride.

Quick Reply: Rough Riding Suspension Help!