Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubi Recon Shocks with Rancho 2inch progressive springs

Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubi Recon Shocks with Rancho 2inch progressive springs - help wanted

Hi everyone, long time on and off reader who is finally thinking about a suspension upgrade after years living in a big city and not using my 2013 JKUS to it’s full potential.

For a little background, I primarily will use the wrangler for logging roads to get access to fly fishing locations, so not looking to build a rock crawler but more an overland vehicle. This was my DD for years and I don’t have much mechanical practice so was worried about tinkering and never did anything to it. My wife and I now have a 1 year old and she decided she wanted the JKU for safety when driving him around (vs her Fiat 500), so I ended up picking up a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk a few months back to keep some level of off-road and snow abilities. I love my wk2, but it’s no JK and I’ve decided to focus my efforts on the JK build. My wife doesn’t drive more than 15 miles a day when she uses it, so she’s ok with some tweaks but nothing crazy.

So so long story short, I have been in touch with a guy who is selling his Rancho 2 inch progressive springs and oem recon shocks and I’m thinking this might be a good middle ground to get me some higher clearance without going nuts - and satisfying my desire to upgrade for the time being. Now I know it’s a weird combo, he seems to have purchased the full shock and spring package but not liked the springs and went back to the factory springs. All thing equal I’d prefer to go with the oem recon suspension, but right now i can’t find anyone selling them.

Any advice would be appreciated, should I consider it? Is it a terrible idea?

Thanks for the help,

ajku

Last edited by ajku; 07-18-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd pick up the springs if the price is right, but instead of those Rubi shocks...pick up some Rancho 9000's. They're perfect for you; You'll be able to adjust them to a stiffer setting like 6 or 7 for the logging roads, but also keep the wife happy by turning the knobs back down to 3 or 4 for ride comfort (obviously you'll need to play around with the settings and see what you like best). Rancho runs a rebate on them most of the time, and they have a 90 day risk-free satisfaction guarantee. Don't like them? Send em back.
The following users liked this post:
ajku (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Most people have to lift to accommodate larger tires. Are you wanting to do so just for the looks? Are you going to increase your tire size? If not, lifting it higher might look bit funny with factory tires (just my opinion). Is the factory set up enough to get you where you're going?

Here are some things to think about:
- if you lift it, even 2", you might want to consider some control arm brackets which will allow you to correct your caster....especially if it's your wife's DD.
- if you decide to add larger tires along the lines, then you start affecting your gearing performance and fuel economy.....and that is what usually starts you down the longer rabbit hole that builds tend to take.

A couple simple things that might help you out and not cost much:
- maybe look at some quick disconnects for your front sway bar which could help with some articulation which is useful even for the kind of wheelin you described.
- get some simple tire deflators as airing down on washboard type or pothole filled back roads will provide a more comfortable ride, and get you better traction when leaving the pavement.
- figure out some way to air those tires back up....even if just a small/cheap portable air compressor that clips to the battery.

If you do end up lifting it some, I agree that the Rancho 9000's would be a much better/appropriate option than factory recon shocks.
ajku (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Most people have to lift to accommodate larger tires. Are you wanting to do so just for the looks? Are you going to increase your tire size? If not, lifting it higher might look bit funny with factory tires (just my opinion). Is the factory set up enough to get you where you're going?

Here are some things to think about:
- if you lift it, even 2", you might want to consider some control arm brackets which will allow you to correct your caster....especially if it's your wife's DD.
- if you decide to add larger tires along the lines, then you start affecting your gearing performance and fuel economy.....and that is what usually starts you down the longer rabbit hole that builds tend to take.

A couple simple things that might help you out and not cost much:
- maybe look at some quick disconnects for your front sway bar which could help with some articulation which is useful even for the kind of wheelin you described.
- get some simple tire deflators as airing down on washboard type or pothole filled back roads will provide a more comfortable ride, and get you better traction when leaving the pavement.
- figure out some way to air those tires back up....even if just a small/cheap portable air compressor that clips to the battery.

If you do end up lifting it some, I agree that the Rancho 9000's would be a much better/appropriate option than factory recon shocks.
Thanks everyone for the help, really appreciate the responses so far. I think if I could swing it i would just go with the rancho shocks and suspension - that's probably the best long term move. That said, something has definitely changed over the past year with my ride quality and so I'd probably just be in the market right now for some cheaper take off parts to freshen it up as the shocks don't look like they are in great shape after 6 New England winters. Since I'm looking to eventually transition it to a more overland style vehicle than rock crawler, the opportunity to get better springs and a bit of a lift seems like it might be a good middle ground - though my guess is about a year from now i upgrade the shocks.

Since there is no such thing as a stupid question - what is a caster? Happy to do what i need to make sure it drives well for my wife.

Part of the reason I've avoided doing anything to my JKUS is that I didnt want to go down the rabbit hole - but I'm really interested in learning how to do the mechanical work myself (have a jack and jack stands) and finally have a garage. My JKUS did great up in Maine last summer, but I'm looking go deeper into the woods chasing brookies and salmon and would love a mild upgrade in the process.

Long term I would probably go with 33's, thinking about saving up to pick up a set of JKUR or even JLUR takeoffs as more hit the market, but probably wouldn't want to go any bigger due to the need to regear. I'll probably end up regearing eventually as the 3.21 feels pretty anemic after driving my wk2 trailhawk for the past 3 months (3.45s and zf 8 speed, but effectively the same engine). The pentastar actually has a lot of power if its set up properly - at least enough for me (thanks Daimler/MB).

I looked into doing disconnects last year, and while I think I can manage it, I'm going to wait a bit longer as I really don't have a ton of need for them yet (but I hope to).
Old 07-19-2018, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Caster – in simplest explanation…..is the angle which the C’s are oriented. Your axle has 6* of caster built in to it, meaning that with the pinion angle at 0* (represented by green line on the picture), the C’s are angled backwards 6* from being perpendicular (caster being represented by the red line and perpendicular being the yellow line). This relationship is fixed, because the C’s are welded to the tubes in that manner. The blue arrow points to the caster....the difference between straight up/down and how much the C is angled backwards.

Now, the pinion is never going to be flat (that would be really hard on your front drive shaft), but the relationship is fixed. For every 1* the pinion is raised, caster is decreased by the same amount. From the factory, your jeep came with 4.2* caster (the pinion was angled up 1.8*, so caster was therefore 6* - 1.8* = 4.2*). As you lift a jeep, you are raising the pinion, which consequently is lowering the caster (the whole axle is rotating and the C’s on are becoming more and more perpendicular to the ground in the process). Lower caster will result in flightier steering and “bumpsteer” (or the feedback you get in the steering wheel when you hit bumps and pot holes). If you lift the jeep 2”, and you do nothing to correct the caster (rotate the axle back again), I’d guestimate your caster drops from 4.2* to 3.8* or so…give or take. This is a reading that you get when you get a vehicle aligned. Small changed in caster can have noticeable real world effects.

Anyhow, hopefully that was clear as mud. There are a few ways to change the caster, $100 control arm brackets being one of the most economical and efficient ways. If anyone mentions “cam bolts” or “camber bolts” to you, stop listening and forget about them. Technically they are a method, but not something you should consider on the jeep.

In regards to doing mechanical work. These things are easy to work on, and with simple tools. Besides a good jack and jack stands (safety first), and a place to work, you can do most work with the following:

- ˝” drive torque wrench up to at least 150 ft lbs (several bolts you have are 125ft lb torque)
- Decent set of sockets, socket wrench, and extensions
- 24” breaker bar (comes in handy)
- Decent size crescent wrench
- Cheap harbor freight electric impact gun makes many jobs easier, but not required

The information is out there to walk you through doing everything.
ajku (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

those will work great for what your intended usage is and if they are the ones from houston Tx that is a screaming deal.
ajku (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Caster – in simplest explanation…..is the angle which the C’s are oriented. Your axle has 6* of caster built in to it, meaning that with the pinion angle at 0* (represented by green line on the picture), the C’s are angled backwards 6* from being perpendicular (caster being represented by the red line and perpendicular being the yellow line). This relationship is fixed, because the C’s are welded to the tubes in that manner. The blue arrow points to the caster....the difference between straight up/down and how much the C is angled backwards.

Now, the pinion is never going to be flat (that would be really hard on your front drive shaft), but the relationship is fixed. For every 1* the pinion is raised, caster is decreased by the same amount. From the factory, your jeep came with 4.2* caster (the pinion was angled up 1.8*, so caster was therefore 6* - 1.8* = 4.2*). As you lift a jeep, you are raising the pinion, which consequently is lowering the caster (the whole axle is rotating and the C’s on are becoming more and more perpendicular to the ground in the process). Lower caster will result in flightier steering and “bumpsteer” (or the feedback you get in the steering wheel when you hit bumps and pot holes). If you lift the jeep 2”, and you do nothing to correct the caster (rotate the axle back again), I’d guestimate your caster drops from 4.2* to 3.8* or so…give or take. This is a reading that you get when you get a vehicle aligned. Small changed in caster can have noticeable real world effects.

Anyhow, hopefully that was clear as mud. There are a few ways to change the caster, $100 control arm brackets being one of the most economical and efficient ways. If anyone mentions “cam bolts” or “camber bolts” to you, stop listening and forget about them. Technically they are a method, but not something you should consider on the jeep.

In regards to doing mechanical work. These things are easy to work on, and with simple tools. Besides a good jack and jack stands (safety first), and a place to work, you can do most work with the following:

- ˝” drive torque wrench up to at least 150 ft lbs (several bolts you have are 125ft lb torque)
- Decent set of sockets, socket wrench, and extensions
- 24” breaker bar (comes in handy)
- Decent size crescent wrench
- Cheap harbor freight electric impact gun makes many jobs easier, but not required

The information is out there to walk you through doing everything.
Incredibly clear and makes total sense - as you increase the arm of the triangle the angle decreases (or something like that, i took trig once haha).

A few years ago, when I worked at a company affiliated with Federal Mogul and Wagner Brakes, I quickly realized how much my face was being ripped off with brake jobs and went out and bought a good floor jack, two 3.5 ton jack stands and a set of craftsman auto sockets, wrenches and extensions with points on Amazon. Let's just say their really good brake pads don't cost a ton to make, but the markups along the distribution system are insane (100%+) and they end up costing multiples of what FM sees at the installer or retail level. Sounds like I need to invest in a few more tools! Need to look and see how many points I have today.

Thanks again for all your help guys, really appreciate the community and look forward to becoming a part of it
Old 07-19-2018, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

There are some decent youtube videos that demonstrate caster really well. Think about bicycle or motorcycle forks up front....and why they are angled so far back. The more caster, the better the ride; however, as with everything else, there are also trade offs and limitations. Like, you're obviously not going to be driving around with your pinion pointing towards the ground....or you'd have some serious drive shaft issues. LOL. But, there are aftermarket axles that have different amounts of caster built in, and allow you to run higher caster. That doesn't matter to your situation really.....but just saying.

Anyhow, good luck with the build....and have fun using the jeep!
ajku (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
those will work great for what your intended usage is and if they are the ones from houston Tx that is a screaming deal.
I pulled the trigger on them - they are the ones from Houston
Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just did a similar thing on my 09 jk x - takeoff 17/58 spring swap from jku, takeoff rubicon shocks, and new rancho geometry correction brackets. that netted me ~1" rear lift and ~2" front lift. then put on 265/70R17 tires (which are technically 0.5" smaller than stock 32" tire). i think it looks great, perfect DD and a bit more capable for adventuring.

i was right at the minimum for using the geometry brackets. alignment shop caster specs:
left range = 3.20-5.20°, measured = 5.39°
right range = 3.40-5.40°, measured = 5.18°
that's pretty good imo with non-adjustable control arms.

Btw I also have 3.21 gears and it’s not horrible on the 31.5” tires.

Last edited by mewaschuk; 07-20-2018 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Add info

Quick Reply: Rubi Recon Shocks with Rancho 2inch progressive springs