Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon Shocks & Coils vs X Shocks and Coils

Old 07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Shocks & Coils vs X Shocks and Coils

So I have a 4 door X model and I'm trying to do a lift as cheap as possible. One of the options I'm considering is buying someones used Rubicon shocks and coils to replace my X versions and then doing a budget boost on top of that. The reason I'm think of going this route is for 2 reasons:

1. I have a severe factory rake with X equipment, and I think the Rubicon's run more level (hence longer front coils).

2. I think the Rubicon springs and shocks are probably higher quality parts than the junk they put on the X models.

So my question to you is, are my assumptions above correct? Does anyone have any hands on experience with the differences between stock Rubicon suspension vs. stock X suspension?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rubicon has a firmer ride than the soft squishy you have now. It has the same rake. If you want the rame ride you have now and a level Jeep that can run 34s you should spend 130 bux and get the teraflex leveling kit IMO.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eventually I'm going to run 35's so that's why I want to do a 2.5 lift at some point. I have a friend with a Rubicon 4 door and a budget boost and his sets perfectly level without spacers or anything. I'm thinking that if I just threw a budget boost on what I have now I'll still have the rake and a cushy ride. My theory is that going to the Rubicon setup first would remedy those two things.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at photos of stock rubicons. They have the same rake that yours does. You might can put rubicon springs in the front only and get rid of some of it, but I kinda doubt it. I wouldn't mess with it. I would stack sovers or something until I could afford to lift it right, Then I would get the teraflex 2.5" coil lift. It gives about 3" front and about 2" rear. Makes the Jeep sit perfect.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Shocks & Coils vs X Shocks and Coils