Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon, tires quieter then expected... Suggest new Aggressive rubber

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon, tires quieter then expected... Suggest new Aggressive rubber

OK
Got my Rubi today and must admit I am pleased with the stock Rubi tires, much quieter than I had expected and were great on the Freeway.
Now I think I might be able to deal with something more aggressive than an BFG AT or Nitto Terra Grappler BUT I need to have SUPERB handing in snow and rain.

33's on 17 in AEV Pintiers....

What do you guys suggest without spending a fortune?

Id really like something I can get at Discount Tire due to their warranty and they are everywhere around me.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM
JK Freak

Default I suggest you stop starting "new tire" threads!

How many must we endure?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/tires-aggressive-look-but-quiet-dd-17785/

I mean really??
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/t-tire-poll-sorry-guys-but-ive-narrowed-down-6-choices-17965/

Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like the stock B.F. Goodrich Mud T/A's then how about just getting larger ones? In a radial anything besides Super Swamper TSL Radials aren't going to be as aggressive and/or quiet as the Mud T/A's. If you don't mind the noise then maybe Nitto Mud Grappler or Pitbull Rockers might be a good choice.

No aggressive tire is going to handle well in the rain slicked streets though. Although they seem to help to keep from hydroplaning on the freeway when there is standing water. You said you want SUPERB handling in the rain and snow? An all-terrain with lots of siping will do great on rain slicked roads but load up and slide in snow. In Oregon I found that the best thing is a really aggresive mud tire with studs because they grip really well on the wet leaf covered roads as well as the snow. I'll probably throw on a set of Toyo Mud Terrains with studs on my Rubicon here before long.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"How many must we endure?"

Oh man, I fell for it again. Same guy with multiple threads about tires. I think I even posted on that other one. Gee Wizz.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
"How many must we endure?"

Oh man, I fell for it again. Same guy with multiple threads about tires. I think I even posted on that other one. Gee Wizz.
I know...guess he "got ya" !
Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 PM
-

Originally Posted by JYogi
OK
Got my Rubi today and must admit I am pleased with the stock Rubi tires, much quieter than I had expected and were great on the Freeway.
Now I think I might be able to deal with something more aggressive than an BFG AT or Nitto Terra Grappler BUT I need to have SUPERB handing in snow and rain.

Id really like something I can get at Discount Tire due to their warranty and they are everywhere around me.
I dont post much but i read these forums daily..........that being said if you just got your jeep today why have you posted 147 times already.......you havent even had the jeep to play with.........

ar'nt the stock rubi tires 33's on 17's or 18's

i believe the factory bfg's are about as good of a snow tire as money can buy, and you have allready payed for them, besides why would you castrate a perfectly good rubi by putting less than mud tires on it????????????????????????????????????????
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by REDNECKHOUSTON
why would you castrate a perfectly good rubi by putting less than mud tires on it?
According to the many other threads...he's a self-proclaimed "poser". Why ask why...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dont like it...
Dont respond.
I was all set on the Nitto Terra Grappler but the MT was much quieter then I was lead to believe it would be so I think I can consider a more aggressive tires.
The BFG MT is not good in snow and rain as its not sipped <sp?>.
If Discount Tire can get and warranty the Dick Cepeks I will go with them
if not I will stick with the Nitto's and sorry to disturb you G-ds...
Sorry I see no fasination in trying to climb over boulders nor do we have
places to do it in my area. I go on trails, I use my Jeep to camp, get to my hunting spots, go deep into the woods to set up my blinds and things like that but compared to some of the pics of you guys climbing mountains yes I am a poser but I am no mall rat...
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

OK

I've had good luck with my xtreme MT's but they make a little noise on the road
Old 11-01-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone sent me a PM telling me to ignore the trolls and said I
should check out the Dunlop Radial Rover RT. I had really not heard
much about these at all outside of the Rover guys but Id like to see
what some here think?

Again, the real reason I am looking again is the stock Rubi M/T is much quieter
than I had expected.... So, why not get something with a better look if it will
be as good as something like the Nitto in snow??

Again, sorry to the uber cool crowd that I joke about being a poser as I dont climb boulders etc but I am no mall rat either! Some of you need to lighten up a little.
Thanks to the Mods and everyone else for sharing all of your knowledge with me and your patience! That's why I love the Jeep community (first vehicle ever was a 89 Wrangler and then I had 3 Grand Cherokees over the years) but of course there are always a couple rotten apples in every bunch.

Last edited by JYogi; 11-01-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Rubicon, tires quieter then expected... Suggest new Aggressive rubber