JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rumble when accelerating. Could it be pinon angles? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rumble-when-accelerating-could-pinon-angles-328416/)

BradleyC 11-26-2015 01:39 PM

Rumble when accelerating. Could it be pinon angles?

Hey guys. Could use your input. Ever since installing my 2.5" lift and 35" tires my jeep makes this rumble/studder problem when accelerating hard (from stop, or from low gear rolling). I haven't done a regear yet and am still running the small stock ratio. I've just been gentle with it up until now...today I was stopped at a light and when to accelerate and got the rumble really but, however this time it was accompanied by a strange squeeking sound.

Something strange to note, after I installed the lift I went for a few days without reprogramming with the AEV programmer. The rumble would happen then too, but it would throw a error code of something like "wrong 2nd gear input/output ratio". I can't remember the error code but will track it down. Since doing the reprogram the error doesn't get thrown when the rumble happens.

I've taken some shots of my driveline to see if you guys can notice any obvious issues. I'm thinking that the front shaft angles on the stoke CV might be the cause of this. One thing I've found strange about my lift is that the front sits slightly higher than the rear. I was told that this is normal and is done because Teraflex expects customers to out winches and larger bumpers on the front.

So with all that said, can anyone offer advice with this issue? I'll post a link to some photos for better diagnoses.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving,
Bradley

BradleyC 11-26-2015 01:42 PM

Photos of my Jeep JKU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...zJjRHliU3F1R2c

Rebar-7 11-26-2015 03:30 PM

Did you install exhaust spacers for cross over pipe . Sometimes the stock front drive shaft can make contact with the cross over pipe
Or brace, if you didn't physically change R&P gears you shouldn't be changing ratio with programmer. Just tire size

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

JayswranglerX 11-27-2015 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by BradleyC (Post 4163586)
Hey guys. Could use your input. Ever since installing my 2.5" lift and 35" tires my jeep makes this rumble/studder problem when accelerating hard (from stop, or from low gear rolling). I haven't done a regear yet and am still running the small stock ratio. I've just been gentle with it up until now...today I was stopped at a light and when to accelerate and got the rumble really but, however this time it was accompanied by a strange squeeking sound.

Something strange to note, after I installed the lift I went for a few days without reprogramming with the AEV programmer. The rumble would happen then too, but it would throw a error code of something like "wrong 2nd gear input/output ratio". I can't remember the error code but will track it down. Since doing the reprogram the error doesn't get thrown when the rumble happens.

I've taken some shots of my driveline to see if you guys can notice any obvious issues. I'm thinking that the front shaft angles on the stoke CV might be the cause of this. One thing I've found strange about my lift is that the front sits slightly higher than the rear. I was told that this is normal and is done because Teraflex expects customers to out winches and larger bumpers on the front.

So with all that said, can anyone offer advice with this issue? I'll post a link to some photos for better diagnoses.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving,
Bradley

Pinion angle looks good...Definitely not too much for the Rzeppa joints.

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum

BradleyC 11-27-2015 06:31 AM

Damn. Think it could be something as serious as my transmission going out? I've read somewhere around the internet that a faulty torque converter can produce similar symptoms as what I've experienced.

Rebar-7 11-27-2015 09:11 AM

What year is the Jeep ? If your still under warranty take it in and have check out...

D_engel 11-28-2015 10:55 AM

Manual or Auto?

Kojack 11-29-2015 06:39 AM

Just a note, double check the torque on your lug nuts. This happened to my suburban once and that's the same noise I had. Thought a CV was gone but it was the wheel loose!

Rebar-7 11-29-2015 03:59 PM

Any up date..?

BradleyC 12-03-2015 09:12 PM

Sorry guys, holiday season has kept things busy.

I haven't had a chance to take the Jeep in for a look. I got under and checked the lug nuts, everything looks fine. Next will be to make sure everything with the suspension is torqued.

I feel like it's getting worse in this past week, so thinking of getting it in sooner than later.