Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running with the devil.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running with the devil.

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 53,000 miles.

In one swoop over this winter, installed an Atlas rear bumper, XRC gen 2 front bumper with 12K winch, 2.5" lift RockKrawler complete short arm suspension, Steel "D" hole 17" wheels with KA02 35", G2 44 complete front axle with 4.56 gears attached to ARB lockers front and back, G2 gold axles in the rear stock housing, Yeti steering, Gobi Ranger roof rack, and KC Pro Six light bar. Has auto transmission

With this being its first summer since its make over, when the outside temps are mid 90's or higher it runs hot ( as high as 240F) going down the freeway doing about 70-75 MPH (2800 to 3000 RPM range), when the RPMS are in the 3K to 5K range when you are getting on and off the throttle in stop and go thraffic and if you hit any kind of upward grade; it does all this with the A/C going full out. Putting around town or once the Jeep levels out on the freeway and kicks into OD it cools right down. Even going off road it does fine.

I replaced the radiator with a new OEM one four months ago because nobody makes an aftermarket worth a crap ( even my local 4 Wheel Parts quit installing aftermarket because they are nothing but crap). The whole cooling system has been flushed and new coolant added last Friday.

I'm thinking of going with an AEV hood and some vented fender liners.. What do you think? Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If it's getting hot then you need to find out why before you start throwing fixes at it....unless you're looking for justification for your significant other.

Is the radiator clean? Yes, you said it's new, but is it clean? Are you sure there are no air bubbles in your system? Did you use the proper coolant? Is the fan cycling on at the correct temperature?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If it's getting hot then you need to find out why before you start throwing fixes at it....unless you're looking for justification for your significant other.

Is the radiator clean? Yes, you said it's new, but is it clean? Are you sure there are no air bubbles in your system? Did you use the proper coolant? Is the fan cycling on at the correct temperature?
Just had the system flushed and filled by the Jeep dealership last Friday.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I've got a '13 auto with 3.6L in the DFW area and with my gearing/tire combo, I see RPMs similar to yours and it gets above 100* here. In the dead of summer, and when temps are up over 100*, my coolant temps creep up there if just running at constant high rpm. I've seen mine get up to 242* a couple times at which point I really backed off it. I feel ok up to 240*.....over that I'm not too comfortable. I have vented wheel liners and PSC cheese grater (hood louver). They don't make one bit of difference compared to before IMO. Is the engine bay a couple degrees cooler? Maybe, but no difference in coolant/engine temps if you ask me. I sure wouldn't say spending a lot of money on an actual vented hood is going to reduce your temps noticeably. I tested my fan out last summer and noticed it kicks on to high around 224*, and back down to low when the coolant temp dips back to ~210*. On times I knew I might be running high RPM for a while, or was heading up in to the mountains, I just forced that fan to run on high 100% of the time with my programmer which helped a good bit. I think the real solution is a larger capacity radiator, but as you know/note.......even they have their issues, and they cost a ton.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I've got a '13 auto with 3.6L in the DFW area and with my gearing/tire combo, I see RPMs similar to yours and it gets above 100* here. In the dead of summer, and when temps are up over 100*, my coolant temps creep up there if just running at constant high rpm. I've seen mine get up to 242* a couple times at which point I really backed off it. I feel ok up to 240*.....over that I'm not too comfortable. I have vented wheel liners and PSC cheese grater (hood louver). They don't make one bit of difference compared to before IMO. Is the engine bay a couple degrees cooler? Maybe, but no difference in coolant/engine temps if you ask me. I sure wouldn't say spending a lot of money on an actual vented hood is going to reduce your temps noticeably. I tested my fan out last summer and noticed it kicks on to high around 224*, and back down to low when the coolant temp dips back to ~210*. On times I knew I might be running high RPM for a while, or was heading up in to the mountains, I just forced that fan to run on high 100% of the time with my programmer which helped a good bit. I think the real solution is a larger capacity radiator, but as you know/note.......even they have their issues, and they cost a ton.
Thank you for your input! What kind of programmer do you have? What temp do you have the fans kick on? I have the basic Flashcal from Superchips. I guess there is a way to upgrade via the internet but I'm not sure how or if I would be able to control the fans.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I have a BullyDog, but it's not a unit I could suggest to anyone. I have a setting to force the fan on high, but the setting doesn't "stick" so to speak. It's something I have turn on with each ignition cycle. You might research the Jscan app and see if that is a setting you can control from that. It just uses a simple BT dongle for the OBDII. Everyone except for myself seems to have luck with that. It's a pretty dynamic too that is pretty inexpensive ($13 dongle and $20 license fee if I recall). I ran a diagnostic scan on mine and pulled up a lot of junk that a normal OBDII reader doesn't catch. Noticed I had a fault in a front speaker thanks to that app. Apparently when I upgraded speakers a long time ago, I simply never plugged one of them in. There are several on here that have tried that and they could probably advise if that is an option or not if you can't locate the answer just googling around. Last year I recall reading up quite a bit on coolant additives. I ended up abstaining from that but can't recall exactly why at the moment.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have a BullyDog, but it's not a unit I could suggest to anyone. I have a setting to force the fan on high, but the setting doesn't "stick" so to speak. It's something I have turn on with each ignition cycle. You might research the Jscan app and see if that is a setting you can control from that. It just uses a simple BT dongle for the OBDII. Everyone except for myself seems to have luck with that. It's a pretty dynamic too that is pretty inexpensive ($13 dongle and $20 license fee if I recall). I ran a diagnostic scan on mine and pulled up a lot of junk that a normal OBDII reader doesn't catch. Noticed I had a fault in a front speaker thanks to that app. Apparently when I upgraded speakers a long time ago, I simply never plugged one of them in. There are several on here that have tried that and they could probably advise if that is an option or not if you can't locate the answer just googling around. Last year I recall reading up quite a bit on coolant additives. I ended up abstaining from that but can't recall exactly why at the moment.
Thank you. Yeah I got an email from Superchips and what I have does not do anything for the fan...

Quick Reply: Running with the devil.