Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same Diameter Tire, Different Offset/Width = Better gas mileage & Better ride

Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Diameter Tire, Different Offset/Width = Better gas mileage & Better ride

Interesting results when switching tire/wheel s….
1st - I removed the stock 18" x 7.5" aluminum wheels with P255/70R18 desert dueler's(32.1" diameter) and switched to a 33" x 12.5" R15 Mickey Thompson ATZ's on 15" Pro Comp 98-5873 black steel wheels with 3.75" of backspacing.
Gas mileage took a drastic plunge and jeep wandered a lot on the highway and was a much rougher ride.
2nd - I didn't like the look of the tires sticking out so far, so I ordered new ones... this time I bought 33" x 11.5" R16 Mickey Thompson ATZ's on 16" keystone black steel wheels with 5" of backspacing. Gas mileage seems to much better and the ride is a lot better, it is also a lot more stable on the highway.
I didn't weigh them to find out how much diff. there is, maybe the wheels tucked inside the body more makes it a little more aero dynamic. I think the rolling resistance is a lot less with the narrower tire too.

anyway, though some of you may find this interesting/helpful

keep on jeep'n

Quick Reply: Same Diameter Tire, Different Offset/Width = Better gas mileage & Better ride