JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   searching trust worthy tech in Michagan (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/searching-trust-worthy-tech-michagan-346454/)

BHALT 05-16-2018 12:23 PM

searching trust worthy tech in Michagan

Need to have the CPU flashed or adjusted for 33 tires 4.5 lift on 2008 JKU Sahara. My daughter goes to school at MSU, she just drove our Jeep to school from AZ. She was crying (literally) because of the gas mileage, I need someone I can trust and speak to, any referrals would be MUCH appreciated.

thank you Bob 480-322-8961

jedg 05-16-2018 12:28 PM

You don't need a tech to flash the CPU. You need an AEV ProCAL or a SuperChips FlashCAL. Either will adjust for the tire size. As for gas mileage, it's not going to get better based on changing the tire size.. it is what it is.

resharp001 05-16-2018 12:45 PM

LOL....college students....want cool car.....that also gets great fuel economy. :rotflmao2:

Agree, better of spending the money on a programmer that you can use to tweak a few more functions with. You're not going to see a ton of difference in the speedo or computer calculated fuel efficiency with 33s vs. factory tires. Not that it's playing in to the mix at all, but that is a lotta lift.....small spacer for extra boost for looks might have been a decent route.

BHALT 05-16-2018 12:54 PM

Yes..agree on laughable cool car college student...doesn't equate, but dont get me started...this is a spoiled step daughter situation and is a bit sore subject...hence one of the reasons Im now a member of this forum.

She drove it from Arizona to Michigan and did car for the gas mileage....lol....it may come down to selling it in Michigan.

nthinuf 05-16-2018 01:22 PM

Just out of curiosity, fill in some more of the details. Auto trans, I assume? Stock tires were 29" or 32"? How fast was she driving? Overdrive was On, and it was constantly slipping in and out of OD?? Or, she pressed the OD-Off button, and was reving the rpm's to maintain 80 mph?

And yeah, look at an AEV ProCal or a Superchips FlashCal. These are Programmers, not performance Tuners. They will adjust tire height, gear ratio, lots of other stuff she'll probably never use, but still good features to have just in case. I have both, and personally like the Procal better. But, it uses old-school dipswitches. The flashcal has a nifty screen and menu's/prompts for everything. It can also be upgraded over the internet to a tuner, if you think another 5-6 HP is worth the added cost.

BHALT 05-16-2018 01:31 PM

Yes auto, 33 inch NEW tires at 35 PSI, she was driving too fast, like 80 and 85....which will decrease any vehicle mileage by close to 23%, Im not sure there is an overdrive button on this jeep...its an 2008 , but its been a while since I've been in it. And whats silly I may have one of those programmers in my tool box, never messed with it...going to take a look tonight. On the added HP, I think it would actually benefit a bit if we can squeeze a few more out.

thanks for your input

Rednroll 05-16-2018 02:07 PM

I would suggest a Prius.....nothing says cool, with good gas mileage like a Prius. ;)

akguy09 05-17-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4321450)
I would suggest a Prius.....nothing says cool, with good gas mileage like a Prius. ;)

or a Chevy VOLT

Rednroll 05-17-2018 09:37 AM

Ok, on a serious note. My favorite dealership in SE Michigan is Jim Riehl's Friendly Chrysler Jeep. They have a customs shop, build custom Jeeps and will know what to do to take care of you.

They may have a Prius or Volt on their used car lot as well. :D